Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best gun for LA

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Best gun for LA

I would agree with needing more information. Why would a 1911 be good for PA and not LA. If it is not good then why not and what are your needs so we can see what would be good.

If you just need a 4-5 inch pistol or revolver I would suggest a Glock because that's what works best for me. Figure what works best for you and go for it, if it's a 1911 so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    I would agree with needing more information. Why would a 1911 be good for PA and not LA. If it is not good then why not and what are your needs so we can see what would be good.

If you just need a 4-5 inch pistol or revolver I would suggest a Glock because that's what works best for me. Figure what works best for you and go for it, if it's a 1911 so be it.
    Plus 1000

There are some mighty big critters downs in LA. That's what I was told when I was stationed there. I would get a G20 or 29

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo509 View Post
    Plus 1000

There are some mighty big critters downs in LA. That's what I was told when I was stationed there. I would get a G20 or 29
    with what geronimo said, i was told by a few of my new neighbors that there seems to be agressive wild boars, a few black bears, and many gators around this area and i don't think a 45auto would be sufficient... but maybe it is.
    i would of thought a 45lc, 357mag, or even maybe a 44mag would be better but what do you guys think.
    Think like a man of action, Act like a man of thought

(Monroe County)

If it's to be used for defense against animals as well then I could understand moving away from 9mm/40/45acp.

The question now is if you prefer a revolver or semi-automatic.
    If you still want an autoloader I would suggest a Glock 10mm, I am not familiar with the cartridge so while their are others who chamber guns in it I cannot speak to their quality.

If a revolver I would suggest looking into a Ruger which makes a very nice revolver in 357 which should handle what you may face. I am not familiar with guns in other magnum calibers and cannot offer advice except to say a Taurus judge may be the ticket. First round is birdshot for snakes and the others are .45lc. Maybe something to look into.

(Lancaster County)

I suggest a Hi Point so when the cops illegally confiscate and store it in a wet trailer and it turns into a pile of rust you will suffer minimal loss. There was an article about that in First Freedom and the pic was a Hi Point.

(Berks County)

Assuming we're discussing handguns - For defense I'd suggest a Glock in .45 ACP.

Hunting - might want to go with the venerable S&W 29, assuming you can find one used.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(Blair County)

If an autoloader I would try to find a 10mm in a 45 chassis, something like a Colt Delta Elite....I think a few other makers make them as well. If purely for animal protection and your going to carry it in the wild alot then I would get what I got....Taurus m444 ultralight 44 mag. 6 rounds of 44 mag, 28 oz, pleasure to shoot, and can protect you from anything in North America.
    http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbou...James/JR02.jpg
    Last edited by Edg; April 12th, 2010 at 05:59 PM.

(Bucks County)

i don't think there's a thing wrong with a 1911 regardless of where you live and 45 is probably potent enough for most wild game you may come across and certainly potent enough to take any two legged predators. if you don't feel comfortable with 45 cal then you can move up to 10mm but make sure you get the full power 10mm loads since many are loaded down to the equivilent of 40 cal. for a revolver i wouldn't consider anything less than 44 magnum but there are more potent cartridges available like the 454 casull, 480 ruger or 460 & 500 SW magnum. taurus, ruger and SW all make great revolvers with taurus and ruger being the most affordable. considering the heat and humidity and possible salt air if you live near the coast i would definately reconsider stainless steel.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    There is no prescription for a do it all handgun. However, I have my own biased opinion:

The Smith and Wesson Performance Center 327 M&P R8

I have one of these and it is awesome. 8 shots of .357 can do quite a bit, or use .38 special for practice. This works on social problems as well as dietary problems. You can find these for much less then MSRP lightly used and holsters can be had for this fine shooting device. These are not prone to rust much due to the materials used (scandium aluminum frame, stainless steel barrel insert etc).
    +1 for this. I want one.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Berks County)

LA man ummm how about The GAU-17/A Mini-gun by Dillon Aero
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtU-Q_ClkwY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast