Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LTCF question

(Lycoming County)

Default LTCF question

Im confused aboit something. I keep seeing "LTCF" used hear. I didnt know you needed a license to carry a firearm in PA, just need a concealed carry pe
    rmit to carry concealed. What am I missing?

Default Re: LTCF question

Quote Originally Posted by Billpfirman View Post
    Im confused aboit something. I keep seeing "LTCF" used hear. I didnt know you needed a license to carry a firearm in PA, just need a concealed carry pe
    PA does not issue concealed carry permits, but a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF), which, among several other things, allows one to carry concealed and also in a vehicle.

It also is required to open or conceal carry in Philadelphia.

Other states may issue a "concealed carry permit" or use another name for it.

(Cumberland County)

In other words if you are carrying a gun in your car (not the trunk) without a LTCF you are breaking the law. Also stopping on the way home from the range with your gun in the trunk to pick up groceries would be illegal.

I recommend any gun owner get an LTCF even if you never plan to carry, it's just a form of legal protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post
    In other words if you are carrying a handgun in your car (not the trunk) without a LTCF you are breaking the law. Also stopping on the way home from the range with your handgun in the trunk to pick up groceries would be illegal.

I recommend any gun owner get an LTCF even if you never plan to carry, it's just a form of legal protection.
    Just a bit of clarification. Long guns are treated very differently, though you can't transport one loaded in a vehicle with or without an LTCF. You also need an LTCF to "carry" a long gun in Philadelphia or during a State of Emergency.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Billpfirman View Post

Most of what you are missing is just wording and labels. What most of the country calls a 'concealed carry permit', we here in PA call a LTCF. (like a 'restraining order' being called a PFA here).
    As far as when and where you need a LTCF, there are plenty of other posts on here describing that.

(Lawrence County)

In other words if you are carrying a gun in your car (not the trunk) without a LTCF you are breaking the law. Also stopping on the way home from the range with your gun in the trunk to pick up groceries would be illegal.

What does the trunk have to do with anything? It's just as illegal in the trunk as it is anywhere else.

(Allegheny County)

The PA LTCF generally speaking is similar to other states CCW permits.

In PA without a LTCF you can.

Open carry on foot only outside of Philly excluding declared states of emergency.
    Transport in a motor vechile (car, motorcycle, bus, train, etc) an unloaded firearm to and from your home, business, place or purchase or repair range or place of assembly.

In PA with a LTCF you can.

Carry or transport a firearm, loaded or unloaded anywhere that is not specifically prohibited by law.

Generally speaking I'm referring to handguns or other firearms that meet the PA definition of a firearm. This does not include long guns. Just to note you cannot transport a loaded long gun anywhere, they have to be transported unloaded.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    What does the trunk have to do with anything? It's just as illegal in the trunk as it is anywhere else.
    Not if you are transporting it to the range as an example.

(Chester County)

Not if you are transporting it to the range as an example.
    Unlicensed travel to/from the range only requires that the firearm be unloaded. It can be in the trunk, anywhere else in the car or even on your person.

Jerkin is correct- if it's illegal in the car then putting it in the trunk has no bearing - at least as far as state law is concerned.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Unlike allot of other states. Acquiring a LTCF requires filling out a one page form, making some copies of ID, a trip to the sheriff's office and $20. No required training, fingerprints, or live fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast