Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default is it possible to "limp wrist" a compact 9mm and not a nearly full size .40cal gun??

is it possible to "limp wrist" a compact 9mm and not a nearly full size .40cal gun??
    I just bought a Taurus pt111 used and I have an Sigpro 2340. I took both of the to da shooting range. An wile I was shooting the sig I had no problems wat so ever. But when I shot the 9mm Taurus after I discharge a round the next one would not load properly. When I explained this to the employees at the shooting range they told me about "limp wrist" shooting. So is there any way to stop this from happening to me? An how is it possible to "limp wrist" one gun and not the other??

(Centre County)

Default Re: is it possible to "limp wrist" a compact 9mm and not a nearly full size .40cal gu

Give the Taurus to someone else to try (an experienced shooter). If it fails to feed for them, then there may be magazine or other problems. If it works for them, take it back and shoot it some more and see what happens.

Going from a full sized gun to a smaller one, you may not have been holding it quite as tight. You know you have to have a good grip on a bigger, heavier gun and then when you switched to the smaller gun you may have eased up a bit on your grip on the gun.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: is it possible to "limp wrist" a compact 9mm and not a nearly full size .40cal gu

Thanks and yea I might have had a loser grip but I also thonk it might be the magazine. I had it cleaned an the man that cleaned it told me that the gun was in very good condition and that there is nothing wrong wit it physically. So the next time I go back I will let the range officer shot it for me

(Centre County)

How new is the (used) Taurus?? In my experience, they need a break in period. Agreed, though. Probably your grip.
    Last edited by FLICK; April 8th, 2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: used
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Philadelphia County)

Going by the serial number retrieval service on Taurus website the production year is 2002

All other things being equal (they never are, of course) a lighter gun will be more susceptible to "limp wristing." The gun with less mass relies more on the hand of the shooter to keep the frame (grip) from moving to the rear along with the slide.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    All other things being equal (they never are, of course) a lighter gun will be more susceptible to "limp wristing." The gun with less mass relies more on the hand of the shooter to keep the frame (grip) from moving to the rear along with the slide.
    I was just going to post this very thing.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    A real good point.

Plus this: "Give the Taurus to someone else to try (an experienced shooter). If it fails to feed for them, then there may be magazine or other problems. If it works for them, take it back and shoot it some more and see what happens."

As said your grip on the smaller gun may be the problem. Take them both out, make sure they are unloaded, and hold them in you fireing hand. Look to see what's wrong with your grip. A tight grip may not fit your hand to the gun. Your fingers may need to move. Could be anything.

With a small gun, the little things can have a major effect.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by superfly2008 View Post
    I had it cleaned an the man that cleaned it told me that the gun was in very good condition and that there is nothing wrong wit it physically.
    He's not the same guy who sold it to you, is he?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast