Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Can an SBR be 16 inches?

Can someone be approved for an sbr if the barrel is 16 inches? What I am trying to figure out is if someone could get a tax stamp for a 16 inch rifle just so it can be carried loaded in a car with a LTCF.

This question was posed by a friend and I am simply asking the community, so please...... no flames.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Can an SBR be 16 inches?

Yes, the ATF will because rifles with overall lengths less than 26" may have barrels longer than 16".

But for PA's laws on carrying in a vehicle it will still have to meet the statutory definition of a "firearm" which is having a barrel less than 16" or an overall length less than 26".

Just get the tax stamp from the ATF, then whack whichever end works the best for the end user until it either has a barrel less than 16" or an overall less than 26".
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

I'm going to look it up later to be sure, but your saying that I could carry a SBR w/ 11.5 in barrel in my car loaded if I have a LTCF even though it is greater than 26in in OAL?

Quote Originally Posted by rockkrawler628 View Post
    I'm going to look it up later to be sure, but your saying that I could carry a SBR w/ 11.5 in barrel in my car loaded if I have a LTCF even though it is greater than 26in in OAL?
    “Firearm.” Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Montgomery County)

Nice, Thank you GUNLAWYER! I suppose I really am not ever going to carry my NFA item in my car with me (Loaded) as it could be a huge hassle with LE. However, it is nice to know that I can.