Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about open carry

I am 19, and i want to know if i can open carry? and if i can, what are the rules about having it in my truck when im driving? thanks for the help.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Question about open carry

Yes you can open carry on foot, no there is no way to legally have it in a vehicle unless you're going directly to or from a range, gun shop, or home/fixed place of business.

Also, you can't legally own a handgun in PA unless you bought one from a private party before you moved to Pennsylvania, or if you were given one by an immediate family member (parent or grandparent). Or you could try your luck at finding a Sheriff who will do a private party handgun transfer for you...

In any case, unless you're going somewhere within walking distance from your home, it's not really a viable option.

edit; you are perfectly legal, however, to transport an unloaded long gun in your vehicle, or even keep a long gun in your vehicle indefinitely as long as it's unloaded. You can also carry a concealed long gun on your person with no LTCF, if you're truly hell-bent on carrying something. Just remember, if you ever have to use it, juries can be fickle. It'd be one hell of an affirmative defense that it was your only legal method of carrying, though.
    Last edited by General Geoff; April 8th, 2010 at 12:38 AM.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

ok my father gave me the handgun, and im just driving from my trailer to my families land to shoot targets. so im taking that its permisable to do that, right?

(Lehigh County)

Going directly from home to the land where you shoot, yes that's legal (as long as the handgun is unloaded, ammo in separate container, gun inaccessible to you while driving).
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

alright thank you.

Just a quick reminder, that open carry is legal on foot in all of PA without a license...except in Philadelphia...where a license to carry is needed to OC as well as CC

Another thought for the OP. There was a thread or two on here about under 21 folks getting a license from a reciprocal state (where they can be issued a license/permit to carry at 19 yrs. of age) and then carrying in PA on that.

I'm not sure if anyone actually ever did that or if was ever determined that it would be "legal". You might want to search around the forum and try and find that (those) discussions.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by irishpilot View Post
    alright thank you.
    Don't stop for gas or food or anything. Go directly to the range and directly home.

(not a lawyer)

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Another thought for the OP. There was a thread or two on here about under 21 folks getting a license from a reciprocal state (where they can be issued a license/permit to carry at 19 yrs. of age) and then carrying in PA on that.

I'm not sure if anyone actually ever did that or if was ever determined that it would be "legal". You might want to search around the forum and try and find that (those) discussions.

Yep. An 18yo can get a Maine non-resident permit. That permit would cover you in a vehicle in PA. However, with that Maine non-res permit, you can use it to get a New Hampshire non-resident license which has full reciprocity with PA. ...thats how a <21yo can carry concealed or in a vehicle in PA.

It is perfectly legal. PA does not set an age for concealed carry, it sets an age to qualify for a LTCF. Our own law provides a a legal means for those 18yo or older to carry concealed via a Sportsmans Permit(for sporting activities). So long as you are 18yo you may own, carry, and possess a "firearm" in PA, and no matter what your age is concealing and vehicle transporting are the only prohibited offenses. If you meet the qualifications for possession(ie: not prohibited) and fall under an exemption in 6106(b) - well, you can carry concealed.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Don't stop for gas or food or anything. Go directly to the range and directly home.

(not a lawyer)
    +1 on this, i wouldn't stop anywhere but where im headed
    Mathews Z7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast