Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Halfway between Here and There, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Question Too Old to Hunt Deer?

For you experienced hunters out there...I'm working towards hunting for the first time later this year (deer). I'm 54, in good health and reasonably good shape. What tips can you offer a first-timer of my years that will help me get at least a fighting chance at success this fall? Thanks!!

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Too Old to Hunt Deer?

The first thing I would do if you haven't already done it already is to go scout the area where you plan to hunt. Try and find a deer trail that has heavy traffic and pick a spot overlooking it.
    Last edited by kbcobra26; April 7th, 2010 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat220 View Post
    For you experienced hunters out there...I'm working towards hunting for the first time later this year (deer). I'm 54, in good health and reasonably good shape. What tips can you offer a first-timer of my years that will help me get at least a fighting chance at success this fall? Thanks!!
    Howdy bobcat, you are FAR from being too old to hunt deer, especially in good health and shape. I know lots of men older than you in not the best of shape that still hunt deer. I have relatives and friends that in their mid 70's that still are able to hunt deer, so you're just fine.

I don't hunt deer in PA, so I'll let the local experts help you out. My advice to you would be that you should PRACTICE with your rifle (or slug gun) and fundamentals of shooting. Way too many people go into the woods and think "well I can hit a paper plate, good enough", etc. Sure you can punch a group that would hit the vitals at a particular distance when you're comfortable, calm, shooting at paper at the range, when you get out in the woods, things change. I would recommend that you practice shooting from other positions than just "the bench", whether that's from a bipod, leaning the rifle on a rest (or improvised rest), and trying to get as small of groups as you can get. This doesn't mean you need to go buy the latest fad "tack driver" or something like that, but don't just settle for "good enough". Don't get caught up in having the most expensive camo and all the toys that can go along with it. Stay warm, be comfortable, and don't make yourself obvious. Make sure that you be patient, try to just enjoy sitting there in nature and don't get annoyed with "not seeing deer", enjoy yourself. Try to be quiet and not move too fast, when you first see a deer, your excitement will tell you to raise the gun, hurry, etc. Just relax, take some breathes and gather yourself, wait until the deer is now looking directly at you; then SLOWLY and smoothly begin to raise you firearm onto target. Watch the deer the ENTIRE time you are doing this, if he starts to look your direction, freeze and relax. He may snort and paw a little, which means he didn't like something, be patient and he may just go back to eating, or he may decide to book it and you learned how fast or slow you need to move next time. Remember to do the animals a favor and don't shoot if your heart is beating 100 mph, you're shaking, etc; take some breathes, relax, watch, and the buck fever will pass and you'll make a perfect shot. My advice above all else is to enjoy the scenary, enjoy watching the animals, and have fun. You'll learn that experienced hunters don't kill every animal we see, most of us watch and enjoy watching WAY more animals than we kill. Take your time and they'll come .

(Somerset County)

Scouting the deer is good. Figuring out where the hunters will be and where the deer will go when the hunters hit the woods is very important. If you can be where the deer want to be (often some of the nastiest cover around) your odds improve.

Also get yourself some good binoculars and use them to look at deer over the summer. Nothing helps to fend off buck fever like being used to seeing deer. Kind of like 'muscle memory'.

Don't get caught in the gadget trap. I typically carry a fiream with ammo, binoculars, knife, drag rope, snacks, and that's it.

Read the regs several times, they can be complicated with special regs areas, lawful firearms, timing for antlerless tags and the various seasons.

I don't want to sound like I'm knocking this board, but the hunting traffic here is fairly light. Most folks on here are heavily into shooting and firearms, and less into hunting. You WILL get good advice here, but there are other forums that are more focused on hunting.

The 24 hr. campfire is one I frequent, there are others.

Dale

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat220 View Post
    You aren't too old to start hunting. I think the best thing for you to do is find a hunting buddy or two. Hang out with guys that have some experience and can teach an old dog some new tricks.

I've been hunting since I was 12 but by no means do I know it all. I'm only about 40 minutes from you and would be happy to help you out however I can. If you need help or have any questions just shoot me a PM.

(Bucks County)

The oldest hunter at my camp will be 81 this season. He missed last season due to radiation treatments for prostate cancer but he's doing well now...two seasons he dropped an 8 point on opening day.

Scout the area and learn how the deer move.

Halfway between Here and There, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

DK, thanks for the recommendation...I just checked it out and will definitely be becoming a regular there...how will I ever get my day job done?........

(Montgomery County)

I would go out and find a private piece of ground to hunt, knock on doors you would be surprised who will let you hunt. The most important piece of advice for hunting success is SIT STILL and be ready. Deer appear out of thin air, they will pick you out from a distance and you will never even know they were there.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Scouting the deer is good. Figuring out where the hunters will be and where the deer will go when the hunters hit the woods is very important. If you can be where the deer want to be (often some of the nastiest cover around) your odds improve.

Dale
    This is what I did until my wife could not get around as well due to her neopathy. Now I hunt on private land(My Father's) which is much easier to hunt. Dad still climbs trees to hunt. He is 68.

But the thick stuff that nobody hunts are where the deer are. The spot I had used was circled by active paths hunters walked. They could not see into it and left it alone. The more hunters around the more deer I saw.

Good Luck.

(Allegheny County)

Pointless for me to offer tips on top of the other posts, but I will add that Dad and I both got deer this past season, and he's 71 with Alzheimer's and dementia, AND had a quadruple bypass a couple years ago.

You are NOT too old. Not even close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast