Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: PA LTCF Questions - newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeDragon View Post
    Be happy you're not in Allegheny County where it takes at least 3-4 weeks to get your LTCF because the Sheriff here goes above and beyond what is required by state law for your background check.

So, for the other counties, does your sheriff put his name, address, phone number, fax number, and website on the back of the card? How about a watermark of his sheriff's office heraldry on the front?

Cordially,

Eric
    I think Allegheny County fluctuates based on how many applications they are receiving and seem slow during the holiday season. I got mine in the spring and not around any election year madness. I had it in the mail for Monday pickup and got the confirmation card in the mail that Saturday. Wen't down the next Monday to pick it up.

Biggest problem is the office is only open M-F until 8:00 - 3:00 PM. That can be a pain depending on your normal working hours. Also parking downtown can be tough to find, let alone cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread. What gives me pause to get a license is needing to list references on the application. Is this in fact true? I really don't want Sheriff knocking on doors asking about who I am. BTW, where do you find the Sheriff?
    Yes, you must list 2 references with their address and phone number. Some counties will call them, others will not.

You should list people who are going to give you a glowing recommendation if they are called. They do not have to be residents of your county and can be in another state (or country) for that matter.

They cannot be "family members".

You can find your sheriff, usually, in your county seat's courthouse.

(Delaware County)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. What gives me pause to get a license is needing to list references on the application. Is this in fact true? I really don't want Sheriff knocking on doors asking about who I am. BTW, where do you find the Sheriff?
    Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Yes, you must list 2 references with their address and phone number. Some counties will call them, others will not.

You should list people who are going to give you a glowing recommendation if they are called. They do not have to be residents of your county and can be in another state (or country) for that matter.

They cannot be "family members".

You can find your sheriff, usually, in your county seat's courthouse.
    Keep in mind, the sheriff is not supposed to tell your references why he is calling other than to ask about your character.

When I first got my LTCF the DELCO sheriff called my references and asked if I was violent or a drunk. When I renewed he didn't call them.

ForeverPA you list MONTCO as your residence, here's where you would start:

http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...,3,q,41609.asp

(Montgomery County)

Deal breaker! Don't want it that bad.

(Venango County)

A LTCF does allow you to carry during a State of Emergency. That is when you will probably really need to carry, too. Think civil and social breakdown.

There are a myriad of other reasons to have one as well. There is no linkage to your LTCF and your handguns either.

I can understand your feelings, though.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Montgomery County)

Really?
    You can't think of think of two people in the entire world that you can trust?

Uhhhmmmmm......OK.

I see you're in Mont. Co. also, so that means you are "required" ( ) to get a local police check card filled out too

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Really?
    You can't think of think of two people in the entire world that you can trust?
    We always say restrictive gun laws punish the law abiding. This is like that. Can't a crook find two friends who could vouch for him? Besides, it just makes for an awkward situation, having to explain who is going to call them and for what purpose.

(Philadelphia County)

Easiest thing is to find two friends who also have or want a license. Everybody just lists each other.

(Delaware County)

Uhhhmmmmm......OK.

I see you're in Mont. Co. also, so that means you are "required" ( ) to get a local police check card filled out too
    That was changed a while ago, now you can let the sheriff get it taken care of but they tell you up front getting your license will probably take the full 45 days if you don't do it yourself.

The Local Police Check card is part of our investigation. We suggest that you fill this out and have it completed by your local police department to save time (they will either call you to pick it up or mail it to us.) Alternatively, you may drop it off to our office with your application; however, you may have to wait up to 45 days before you can return for your permit. Note: this applies to new applicants only. The Local Police check card is only valid for 60 days from date of signature by Police Department.

http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...,3,q,41609.asp

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast