Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default Re: PA LTCF Questions - newbie

Quote Originally Posted by celisup78 View Post
    So if it is not illegal to carry on a college campus but might be against "college rules" then what kind of legal trouble can you get into if, for some reason or another, your concealed weapon is found by someone - i.e. campus police? Can you get into legal trouble if you just leave the campus grounds peacefully? Who determines if your reason for carrying is a "lawful purpose" - you, the officer, a judge? What is considered a lawful purpose - is "self defense" a "lawful purpose?" What other possible reasons? At the moment and no time in the near future do I plan on carrying on campus. I work in a chem lab all day and I have more than enough "weapons" near me and at my disposal if need be.
    I think you are confusing two points here. I will start with the first.

It is not illegial by the laws and statues of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to carry a firearm on their property. If you are stopped by campus police for doing so, what happens to you depends on your status. If you are not a student and just a member of the public visiting their campus, the only legal thing they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse, you are then trespassing and can be arrested for such. So if at any time someone asks you to leave private property for carry a firearm (or any reason for that matter) do so immediately and peacefully or you are considered trespassing.

If you are a student and enrolled at the college or university of higher education and are stopped for carrying a firearm on their property, you cannot be arrested or fined by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for doing so. But you may face discipline and punishment by the school for doing so. If they have a rule against it, you could be put on academic probation, suspended, expelled, etc. They make the rules and they can do with you what they want.

All the above was for colleges and universities of higher education.

For schools in the K-12 level, Pennsylvania law takes over. There is a law on that no one can carry a weapon into a school, on school grounds, or on any form of transportation provided by the school. This includes knives, firearms, shotguns, rifles, etc. But it does offer a clause for "lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose." It is this last part that is talked about a lot on this forum. Just what is a lawful purpose. If you are legally allowded to purchase, own, and carry a firearm in the state of Pennsylvania, and you are not committing any other crime with said firearm, carrying it for self defense would be a lawful purpose, since defending yourself from harm is considered lawful. Again, it is often debated on this forum and often not advised to carry into schools or on school property.

Edit: In my slow typing, PA Patriot beat me to it. But I think reading both replies will help your understanding of the law.

(Luzerne County)

.... I was amazed and a little concerned about the eaze to obtain the permit. ....
    Why would you be "concerned".
    In Pennsylvania, you have the RIGHT to bear arms. (bear arms includes carry).
    Unless your a prohibited person.
    Since criminals always hide their guns we have a license process to verify your a "good guy". IE: no criminal past that makes you a prohibited person per the law. before you can carry concealed or in a vehicle or filthadelphia. No LCTF needed to carry openly while not in a vehicle.

The license is essentially a background check and that's it. It is a "shall issue" license meaning if you have no disqualifying criminal past or mental problems the issuing authority MUST give you the license.
    Again, I am unsure what your concerned about. If you would prefer the government has more discretion as to who can and can't get a permit "so easily" then I suggest you look north, south or east to NY, MD and NJ. They're all a short move and they're permits are definitely not "easy" to obtain. Their crime rates are a testament to their more restrictive process

Thanks for clearing that up for me about the colleges. I dont know how to quote people like in the other posts, so here is my best attempt.....originally posted by Pa Patriot - "Since criminals always hide their guns we have a license process to verify your a "good guy". IE: no criminal past that makes you a prohibited person per the law."

As far as I know, someone isnt a criminal until they are convicted of being as such. I guess the problem/dilemma is figuring out how not to license those individuals who should not be licensed. Does a mental person know that they are mental/not of "sound mind" as stated on the LTCF permit? I think that we all could go mental if we went down that discussion road.

(Perry County)

So if it is not illegal to carry on a college campus but might be against "college rules" then what kind of legal trouble can you get into if, for some reason or another, your concealed weapon is found by someone - i.e. campus police? Can you get into legal trouble if you just leave the campus grounds peacefully?
    Worst you can get is expelled or what ever disciplinary action the school decides to take against you. It is no different than a workplace having a "weapons policy". You are breaking no law, but they have every right to fire you if you violate their policy.

Who determines if your reason for carrying is a "lawful purpose" - you, the officer, a judge? What is considered a lawful purpose - is "self defense" a "lawful purpose?" What other possible reasons?
    That's where it gets interesting. The K-12 "lawful purpose" part of the law has not been tested in the courts to the best of my knowledge although it is believed by some of this community that "defence" is truly a "lawful purpose".

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    You came to the right place! This page should get you started:

http://www.pafoa.org/counties/ Just click on your county and find your info...

Do you have a link for a non resident LTCF application?

For non-residents, Centre County is the way to go. http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/l...pplication.asp

But PA only issues if you have a license/permit from your home state, unlikely since you show your home as in PRNJ. You'd want to go with Florida, Virginia, or Utah.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    For non-residents, Centre County is the way to go. http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/l...pplication.asp

But PA only issues if you have a license/permit from your home state, unlikely since you show your home as in PRNJ. You'd want to go with Florida, Virginia, or Utah.
    Non-res Virginia, Florida, Utah. All can be done thru the mail, however, UT does require you to take a UT certified class. VA and FL you could use Hunter Safety or NRA Basic.

(Westmoreland County)

I recently completed the LTCF application at the Westmoreland County Sheriff's office. The process was actually pleasant. They definately have their stuff together. Professional and pleasant.

(Columbia County)

I too have applied on the 16th and just waiting to hear back.Was told 7-10 days,but still waiting.Shouldn't be a problem since I have already bought my shotgun and a handgun.

(Montgomery County)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. What gives me pause to get a license is needing to list references on the application. Is this in fact true? I really don't want Sheriff knocking on doors asking about who I am. BTW, where do you find the Sheriff?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast