Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Monroe County)

Default Target shooting on state game lands

When I moved to PA, someone told me that there are ranges on the state game lands... So I assumed that if you wanted to shoot on SGL, you had to use a range.

But someone told me yesterday that you can target shoot anywhere on state game lands. I was going to argue, but I realized that I really don't know if that's true... Is it? Can I set up targets and shoot anywhere on the state game lands as long as I have a safe setup and backstop?
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Target shooting on state game lands

I can't cite any references but I believe unless you are hunting, shooting must be done at an approve range area. Rather than go to the range, we use to go to a specific spot at the gamelands out in Bavington and target shoot, it was a safe backdrop (100' cliff) and we always cleaned up our mess plus that left by others. We were stopped one day by the game commission and were told only at the approved range. He stated he could have cited us for littering and a whole slew of other things but he did not.

Just my experience with non-range shooting at the SGLs.

(Allegheny County)

i don't know what happens in reality, but according to the statutes, it sounds like target shooting on SGLs should be OK as long as it is not during big game season and certain rules are followed.

from: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...49&mode=2#2507

Sec. 2507. Restrictions on shooting.

(a) General rule. - It is unlawful for any person during the open season for the taking of any big game other than turkey to:

(1) Shoot at any mark or target other than legal game or wildlife with a firearm of any kind or a bow and arrow.

(2) Discharge at any time any firearm or release an arrow at random in the general direction of any game or wildlife not plainly visible for the purpose of routing or frightening them.

(3) Discharge at any time any firearm or release an arrow at random or in any other manner contrary to this section.

(b) Exceptions. - This section shall not be construed to apply in any manner to:

(1) The discharge of any firearm for the sole purpose of signaling for aid or assistance while in distress.

(2) The use of rifle, pistol or archery ranges owned, leased or maintained by a State or Federal military or police organization or by any regularly organized rifle, pistol, shotgun or archery range, shooting association or club while shooting at a regularly established and properly safeguarded range or to any public shooting exhibition properly safeguarded and conducted under the direction of any organization for the promotion of marksmanship.

(3) The discharge of a muzzle-loading firearm at a proper target for the purpose of safe transportation of the muzzle-loaded firearm.

(4) Shooting at a properly constructed target or mark or a dead tree protected by a natural or artificial barrier so that the ball, bullet or arrow cannot travel more than 15 yards beyond the target aimed at, after making due allowance for deflection in any direction not to exceed an angle of 45 degrees. Target shooting shall only be lawful when it is done:

(i) Upon property owned by the shooter or by a guest of the property owner.

(ii) Within 200 yards of the camp or other headquarters where the person shooting is quartered or is an invited guest or visitor.

(c) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree.
    this statute clearly does not make all target shooting on SGLs (even outside of actual ranges) illegal.

that does not mean there is not some other game commission regulation that makes it a violation, though.
    F*S=k

(Jefferson County)

I'm sure you'd still have to comply with the PAGC's regulations on range use, like only 3 rounds loaded, etc, etc,etc.

There is a GC range right near the OP's noted location.

Gamelands 127 along SR423
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

The area in question is SGL 221, which (as far as I know) does not have a designated range. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Chester County)

It's illegal to target shoot except on established ranges.

058 Pa Code § 135.41. State game lands.
    (c) Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and § 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to:
    (15) Target shoot with firearms, bows and arrows or devices capable of launching projectiles in a manner that could cause injury to persons or property, or on areas posted closed to those activities.
    I presume that the official ranges fall into the 'written permission' clause.
    IANAL