Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Venango County)

Default Re: Thoughts on cross eye dominance.

Wow, lots of great information and thoughts everyone.
    And don't worry Shawn, I wasn't planning on wearing a patch for SD. I was just going to try it at the range, along with all the other tips and tricks, and see what works best for me. Maybe improve my accuracy a bit in the long run. I am all for doing anything I can to improve accuracy.

But lets face it, if some guy is within a few feet with a knife, I'm not going to need to be %100 accurate. I can handle a body mass on that one lol.

(Blair County)

Also an easy test to tell is to look down an empty paper towl roll. first with the right eye, then with the left, both eyes open each time. With one eye the image will not change, with the other it will.

If you are trying to teach your child to shoot and it isnt going well, it is important to try this. To make sure this isnt the problem, before you loose your temper, as I see many folks do and in so doing ruining shooting as a fun activity for that child.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Wow, lots of great information and thoughts everyone.
    And don't worry Shawn, I wasn't planning on wearing a patch for SD. I was just going to try it at the range, along with all the other tips and tricks, and see what works best for me. Maybe improve my accuracy a bit in the long run. I am all for doing anything I can to improve accuracy.

But lets face it, if some guy is within a few feet with a knife, I'm not going to need to be %100 accurate. I can handle a body mass on that one lol.
    What if you walk in on a zombie and it has your woman around the neck about to eat her brains 20 meters away....Then you will need the accurate CT grips lefties best friend.

(Montgomery County)

Im left eye dom also. I grew up shooting rifles Left handed and never thought much of it cause I write left handed eat left handed and can Hit a baseball with both. (MOM was a lefty) Never really shot a pistol until I joined the military.when I grip a pistol its right handed. Anyway we did they eye dom test and found Im left eye. What I was taught was for CQC type situations both eyes open. But for marksman ship at longer ranges say 25yds and beyond a few tips I got from some of the Instructors were.....Shoot from a Open type Modified Weaver Stance Right arm straight left slightly bent and a good push pull type grip with your hands. This helps the pistol alignment cause we will tend to want to pull the pistol to our left if we close our right eye. Next was turn your head a lil to the right for proper sight picture. I kinda achor my right cheek to my biceps like a rifle. Ive been shooting this way a traing like that for years. I score perfect on almost every range qual i Shoot and have palced top 3 or better In most IDPA compititions I have entered. Hope this helps

(Centre County)

Here is another thread that talked about this sunject:

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/929...-shooting.html
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12