Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Duracoating a pistol?

I'm not allowed to buy a new pistol right now (says my girlfriend) so I'm thinking about playing with one of my Kel Tecs. Does anybody have any experience with Duracoat?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Centre County)

Default Re: Duracoating a pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I'm not allowed to buy a new pistol right now (says my girlfriend) so I'm thinking about playing with one of my Kel Tecs. Does anybody have any experience with Duracoat?
    Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Your GIRL FRIEND is dictating to you how you spend YOUR money??? Run away as fast as you can . This does not bode well.

As for duracoating, go to their site: www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/ and you can learn all about what it can and can't do. It will add dimension, so on a semi-auto you have to be careful so that you don't mess up the fit (and thus the functioning).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Depending on what you are looking for, there are several coatings to look at when considering doing a firearms.

IonBond DLC, Robar's NP3 are considered the "best" metal treatments, Dave Severn has his Hard Hat treatment, which I don't know a lot about but is supposed to be on par with those high end treatments.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Your GIRL FRIEND is dictating to you how you spend YOUR money??? Run away as fast as you can . This does not bode well.

As for duracoating, go to their site: www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/ and you can learn all about what it can and can't do. It will add dimension, so on a semi-auto you have to be careful so that you don't mess up the fit (and thus the functioning).
    Ok, she's not dictating how I spend my money. She actually lent me $500 for my last gun purchase. I've just been spending sheeeeeeit loads of money on toys lately and nothing on her. So she jokingly tells me I'm not allowed to buy guns.

I'm not going to do the Duracoating myself. Just looking to see if anyone has experience.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Ok, she's not dictating how I spend my money. She actually lent me $500 for my last gun purchase. I've just been spending sheeeeeeit loads of money on toys lately and nothing on her. So she jokingly tells me I'm not allowed to buy guns.

I'm not going to do the Duracoating myself. Just looking to see if anyone has experience.
    PM riverpirate, it seems to be his second-favorite pastime lately. He did a Star Model BM, which I bought from him. Decent job.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Centre County)

Ok, that's better . Might be a keeper if she would loan you money for a gun . If so, you have to remember to buy her some baubles every now and then to keep her happy. If she shoots, look at buying her a gun or accessories if she already owns one. Otherwise, many like real shiny, sparklely stuff. DO NOT buy her shoes or clothes unless you know EXACTLY what she likes and her size (not the size she tells you, the size that is actually marked on the clothes). Well, better off staying away from clothes unless she picks them out and you pay for them. Vera Bradley or Coach purses and such go over big also. Lingerie is good sometimes, buy what YOU like .

Actually as long as you follow the directions, Duracoating isn't that hard to do.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    PM riverpirate, it seems to be his second-favorite pastime lately. He did a Star Model BM, which I bought from him. Decent job.

Flash
    Interesting. I will definately have a word with him. I've talked over a few things about my new MKIII with him. He's pretty close to me too locationwise. Thanks for the heads up.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Ok, that's better . Might be a keeper if she would loan you money for a gun . If so, you have to remember to buy her some baubles every now and then to keep her happy. If she shoots, look at buying her a gun or accessories if she already owns one. Otherwise, many like real shiny, sparklely stuff. DO NOT buy her shoes or clothes unless you know EXACTLY what she likes and her size (not the size she tells you, the size that is actually marked on the clothes). Well, better off staying away from clothes unless she picks them out and you pay for them. Vera Bradley or Coach purses and such go over big also. Lingerie is good sometimes, buy what YOU like .

Actually as long as you follow the directions, Duracoating isn't that hard to do.
    She's in love with my new Ruger MKIII. I don't even get to shoot it if we go to the range. I was thinking about giving her my KT P32 but she likes the Ruger so much she might be getting her own.

I'd like to try the Duracoating myself, I just don't want to mess up the functionality of a gun I carry. That being said the fit and machining on my P32 and PF9 aren't exactly tight, so I guess I'd have some leeway... We'll see. I'll be sure to post pics after it gets done.
    Last edited by rwb1500; April 8th, 2010 at 02:46 AM.

(Lawrence County)

I used Duracoat on the plastic furniture on my AR, but not the receiver. It's not a difficult process. Just spend some quality time during prep and tape off anything you don't want painted. It's been very durable so far and looks pretty good IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast