Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Finally bought my first gun! Some Q's

In search for my very first handgun it turns out Classic Pistol was just a few miles from my residence so I dropped by there this past mon. to check things out and the guys at the counter were super friendly and answered all my noob questions about my very first firearm purchase. The only thing I was sure about walking in was I wanted a revolver (just love the classic look), was shown several S&W .357 models to choose from (was advised to disregard a .22 for home defense) but it was a used Ruger GP100 4" .357 in the display case that caught my eye It looked to be in pretty good condition (manufactured in 9/2009) and this thing is built like a tank! The purchase included 1 hr. of range time. I went through a box of .38spl target ammo in no time with no issues and had a lot of fun. Wanted to shoot more but my hand was starting to feel numb. I've read in other threads that suggest I get the trigger action(?) redone on this particular model, would this relieve the fatigue and help me shoot longer?

Also one last question, since I bought this gun mostly for home defense, how should it be kept at your bedside at night, do you keep it fully loaded ready to go laying on top of a night stand or should I have it holstered somehow near the bed? And what's the best type of ammo to keep it loaded with? Thanks for all the info!

Default Re: Finally bought my first gun! Some Q's

Congratulations on your new gun!
    idk about the adjusting the trigger, but with time and more shooting you will eventually not be fatigued as much.
    With where to keep your gun at night, I always keep my beretta on a towel ontop of my nightstand.

(Blair County)

Maybe a new grip would reduce fatigue. I prefer the softest rubber grips I can find for a revolver, hogue is usually good, and available.

(Philadelphia County)

Congrats on the gun. Welcome to the forum.

Look into getting a few classes in firearms to get yourself comfortable.

I'd leave the trigger alone. Stock works.

I keep my gun loaded all the time. It sits in a holster on the bedside.
    *note I have no kids.

If you have kids, you would want to have a small bedside safe. (gun vaults are cheap).

Keep it loaded at all times. It is worthless otherwise. (unless you collect expensive paper weights)

As for ammo, I would use a .357mag load. HollowPoint only. Winchester, remington, Corbon, Hornaday, Speer, ect. . . all make good defense rounds. Whatever you choose be sure to train with it. The best ammo in the world is useless if you train with .38 FMJ.

Be safe and have fun.
    Last edited by biggs88; April 6th, 2010 at 10:57 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugazombie View Post
    In search for my very first handgun it turns out Classic Pistol was just a few miles from my residence so I dropped by there this past mon. to check things out and the guys at the counter were super friendly and answered all my noob questions about my very first firearm purchase. The only thing I was sure about walking in was I wanted a revolver (just love the classic look), was shown several S&W .357 models to choose from (was advised to disregard a .22 for home defense) but it was a used Ruger GP100 4" .357 in the display case that caught my eye It looked to be in pretty good condition (manufactured in 9/2009) and this thing is built like a tank! The purchase included 1 hr. of range time. I went through a box of .38spl target ammo in no time with no issues and had a lot of fun. Wanted to shoot more but my hand was starting to feel numb. I've read in other threads that suggest I get the trigger action(?) redone on this particular model, would this relieve the fatigue and help me shoot longer?

Also one last question, since I bought this gun mostly for home defense, how should it be kept at your bedside at night, do you keep it fully loaded ready to go laying on top of a night stand or should I have it holstered somehow near the bed? And what's the best type of ammo to keep it loaded with? Thanks for all the info!

Congrats on the new toy/tool! Also, welcome to PAFOA. You'll find tons of information and very knowledgable members.
    As far as bedside storage goes, it depends on your living arangements. If you're living by yourself I see nothing wrong with a loaded gun on the nightstand or in it. If you live with a significant other I'd make sure to educate them on gun safety and maybe get them out to the range with you so they are also familiar with the gun. If you have kids scratch everything I just said. Then you gotta lock it up. There are lots of good quick access safes out there, one of the most popular is Gunvault. http://www.gunvault.com/mini-mini-deluxe.html.
    Check them out. They open in a second and keep out little fingers. The prices on their website are a little inflated. You can definately get them for less than 100 bucks, look around online.
    As far as storage goes when you're not carrying the gun you should get a good safe of some sort you can bolt down. Doesn't have to be huge or expensive, but it's a very good idea. You can get a Winchester Pistol box at WalMart for $25. I keep one at my girlfriends. It comes with all the hardwear you need to bolt it to the floor, or a wall, or what have you.
    The fact is if you're like most of us you're now hopelessly addicted to firearms, and you'll be amassing more and more, so plan ahead.

Best of luck, and congrats on the new wheel gun!
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lehigh County)

I keep my gun locked, loaded, and unholstered on my nightstand. If you need it suddenly, I don't want to worry about chambering it or getting it out of the holster
    Bullets will be the currency of the future

(Lebanon County)

Get good ear protection for the range. You'll thank me later. 357s have an almost painful krack to them.
    fred

(Erie County)

Great to see another new firearm owner ! Congrats.

(Clinton County)

Congrats on new firearm and joining here. You will learn alot here.

My wife and I do not have kids. Our pistols are loaded and by us in the house.

I keep mine in a Serpa holster. I timed myself from acquiring the handgun to sight acquisition from table beside me and in bed. I found I could do it faster in the holster. I could grab it easier and faster than lying flat.

But that's just me. Probably due to my stubby fingers.

You will here this alot here. Practice Practice Practice. Plus get good training.

(Allegheny County)

Congrats for your new toy but I must warn you, you will soon be buying a handgun that has a hi-cap mag LOL. My first handgun was a S&W 38 which at the time was my favorite but my first trip to the range landed me next to a guy with a Glock the had a magazine that was damn near a foot long. After putting 32 rounds into the torso of my target, my .38 wheel gun just seemed ..... obsolete. 32 rounds provides much more assurance the 6 rounds lmao. next day my .38 and $80 got me a EAA WITNESS .45 (couldn't afford a glock)
    I needs the following... .303 ammo, scrap steel, and and cheap SKS. please LMK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast