Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Larry Vickers AK Operator course

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Tony, I haven't taken a class in about 3 years now since the last eye injury.

Hans
    I understand your situation and the home repairs but we don't expect the same people to take the same classes year after year.

Too many choices is why early on we stopped scheduling the 1 day HG class so often. We couldn't get enough people enrolled in any one class.

This course meant allot to me personally because I suggested and organized it and there were some underlying reasons (other than the course itself) as to why I was hoping it would "go".

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Also, it could be that AK owners are cheap ass bastids and don't want to spend the money. I mean why else would they buy an AK over an AR .
    Ha!

And I was told to stop being so offensive.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by he11zna View Post
    Why wasn't this class ever listed on Vickerstactical.com?

Just curious.
    You have to take that up with LAV. I thought it was. If it was not, I don't know why.

(Allegheny County)

I may be off base here or at least wrong but it seems there are too many classes being offered. The interest is stretched for the 50(or is it 30?) people in SW
    Pa. that take a class or 2 per year(or one per year or one every other year).

The AK class would probably have been outstanding and perhaps filled if other potential students had not opted for basic tactical carbine or basic tactical pistol having been presented a month earlier.

Yes and no. We go through this discussion internally all the time.

Giles Stock and I were talking today about him coming back in the fall. We decided against it, for the very reason you mention. We have a lot going on in September and October (and November presents the possiblity of ... GASP! ... snow). With another basic pistol and a Level II pistol in the fall, another pistol course would likely dilute enrollment in all the courses.

I don't think, however, that anyone did not sign up for the AK course because of basic carbine, or vice-versa. Basic Tactical Carbine is an AK course; or an AR course or an M-1 course. But some people think (incorrectly, in my view) that an AK is so different from an AR, an M-1 or an AUG that it warrants a special course. So we set one up.

Some people said they really wanted a course from Larry Vickers. Others said they wanted to see "more variety" in instructors. So we set one up.

It turned out there was just not that much interest. Although I wasn't sure at the outset, I doubted there would be.

First, rifle is always a hard course to fill. Second, I could see that the people who said they wanted to see "more variety" of courses and instructors, to a man, have never actually taken any courses. Finally, as it turns out, virtually all of those who said they really wanted to train with Larry Vickers are of the sort who never actually get around to training, but when they don't train they only want to not train with the very best.

When the courses go, it's great. I would have appreciated the opportunity to take the Vickers course. But when a course like this does not go, it really is no skin off my nose. Our mission is to make the training available; not to force it on anybody. We did our part. On to the next one.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    To me, it just seems that more people want to talk about classes than actually take them.
    Truer words were never spoken.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123