Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default More Shooters and Carriers

I used to read you guys say in this forum stuff like "Yeah, that's what we need - more shooters. Get your son out to the range... give your daughter a 22 for her birthday...", etc. And I would think "what the heck... we have to keep this quiet... we don't need so many shooters... that'll ruin it... let's keep a low profile".

But I think differently now.

Just imagine if just 25% of citizens carried. It would rise exponentially from there, simply because of the education that would be taking place on behalf of the public.

Just reflecting on how my thinking has changed in one year.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Wayne County)

Default Re: More Shooters and Carriers

I used to be the same way with open carry. Why do it if it causes so much trouble? I had to understand that sometimes right isn't easy. Knowledge is power, haha, here's some rep.

25% of the population carrying would be a wonderful start towards education. I also believe there is a segment of our population that we should reach out to: citizens with physical disabilities. Yes, some people are not able to handle a firearm safely due to physical problems. However, there are many handicapped people who are still mentally and physically capable of training and obtaining a LTCF. The people I'm referring to can still drive cars, raise families, and hold down jobs despite their disability.

We all know that criminals will prey on people they view as "easy victims". The homeless, the elderly, etc. It is not far fetched to assume that a thug will target a man in a wheelchair before he targets a large bodybuilder with no mobility issues.

I could imagine a training program for handicapped citizens that is modified to teach defensive handgun skills to those with mobility issues.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfield_Glock View Post
    25% of the population carrying would be a wonderful start towards education. I also believe there is a segment of our population that we should reach out to: citizens with physical disabilities. Yes, some people are not able to handle a firearm safely due to physical problems. However, there are many handicapped people who are still mentally and physically capable of training and obtaining a LTCF. The people I'm referring to can still drive cars, raise families, and hold down jobs despite their disability.

We all know that criminals will prey on people they view as "easy victims". The homeless, the elderly, etc. It is not far fetched to assume that a thug will target a man in a wheelchair before he targets a large bodybuilder with no mobility issues.

I could imagine a training program for handicapped citizens that is modified to teach defensive handgun skills to those with mobility issues.
    i agree!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7iz1HTh9U

haha seriously though i really do agree with you. it's terrible to think about, but you're right.. many people in wheelchairs are such easy targets because they aren't as mobile.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    i agree!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7iz1HTh9U

haha seriously though i really do agree with you. it's terrible to think about, but you're right.. many people in wheelchairs are such easy targets because they aren't as mobile.
    Grandma put a few rounds up and over the hill in that clip!

(Delaware County)

Hope they put the handbrakes on for their wheelchairs - otherwise each shot they take at the BG will make em roll backwards.

*snrk*

I have a Galco 3-slot cop holster on order - should be here friday, hopefully - so I'll be carrying with even more confidence.
    Junior

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Hope they put the handbrakes on for their wheelchairs - otherwise each shot they take at the BG will make em roll backwards.

*snrk*

I have a Galco 3-slot cop holster on order - should be here friday, hopefully - so I'll be carrying with even more confidence.
    I have that holster and like it. If you use the slot that cants it forward it won't get hung up sitting in chairs. And it's actually less recognizable as a gun if you decide to pull your shirt over it, even though it pokes forward a little. The drawback is the draw might be slower. But I think the retention is also better with the cant.

I go back and forth about this with regards to open carry. I wish more people concealed so they could become educated, but I wish less would open to keep the foaming at the mouth antis from causing a rucus when they see us doing it.
    But still I stand firm that it is a right to open carry so I wouldn't dare lobby against it legally I mean.

On the other hand the fence sitters aren't getting educated about bearing arms when they don't know they're around it because everyone is concealed. The fence sitters would be more likely to get used to it if they actually saw it every day.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    I go back and forth about this with regards to open carry. I wish more people concealed so they could become educated, but I wish less would open to keep the foaming at the mouth antis from causing a rucus when they see us doing it.
    I honestly don't understand these two sentences. Can you rephrase for me, please?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    I go back and forth about this with regards to open carry.

On the one hand, I wish more people open carried so that others could become educated, but on the other hand, I wish less would open carry to keep the foaming-at-the-mouth antis from causing a rucus when they see us doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I honestly don't understand these two sentences. Can you rephrase for me, please?
    Maybe this (my changes in bold/ital)???
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast