Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Question Is Bicycle considered on foot or in a vehicle?

Hello all, asked this question in another open carry forum and I guess nobody ever brought it up before. Is it legal to open carry on a bicycle? My simple understanding of the law would tell me it is, however, I do not know if vehicle is a defined term in the statutes, or if in makes a difference as well. I will also probably be paying a lawyer to give me the skinny either way as walking any distance is not my favorite exercise, bicycling is far easier on the knees. I do not need any info on Philadelphia, that is abundantly clear, tyranny rules the streets there from my reading. Thanks for any information regarding legality of bicycle carry.

Default Re: Is Bicycle considered on foot or in a vehicle?

$25 for a LTCF or $1,000 to ask a lawyer, the solution seems pretty clear to me.

In theory you go into a car, the car even if it has windows becomes a concealment...

A Jeep even if it has no roof is considered a car, So is a convertible...

Motorbikes are vehicules, but most of them you can not physically get into. You mount a bilke or motorcylce just as you would a horse. So the question is, can you mount a vehicule?

Then again, why not make this a mute point and get your LTCF?
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bucks County)

"Then again, why not make this a mute point and get your LTCF?" Thank you for regarding me as ignorant. The simple asking of the question should give you a large hint as to my position on rights v.s. priviledges. Thank you for your response.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by wayneborngesser View Post
    "Then again, why not make this a mute point and get your LTCF?" Thank you for regarding me as ignorant. The simple asking of the question should give you a large hint as to my position on rights v.s. priviledges. Thank you for your response.
    Actually, the first thought that came to my mind was that you either weren't old enough, or were somehow prohibited from a carry permit, but not owning a gun. Your personal beliefs never came to mind. Also since you never actually said that you didn't have or want an LTCF, I also assumed that you were just a proponent of open carry and wanted a clarification.

As for your question, a bicycle is it's own thing, not a "pedestrian" and not a motor vehicle, however, I think the question to ask is, can you get a DUI on a bicycle? If so, it's a vehicle.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Philadelphia County)

I dont think that Frenchy was talking you down on any way, in fact, I quite have to agree with him.

If you want to make a political stand, there are MUCH better ways to do it rather than do something stupid that could land you in quite a bit of trouble.

If you want to OC on a bike, get yourself a damn permit, then OC on the bike, that way, all your bases are covered, instead of all your bases being belong to them.
    (har har! A cookie to whoever gets this pun!)
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Not trying to be or imply any one is Ignorant, just a simple question.. So lets say its a nice day, you are out Open carrying on a bike, and suddenly the front wheen hits some thing, you suddenly find your self 12 miles from home, and quite possibly hurt and have a bent wheel, some one offers you throw the bike in the back of his truck and he will bring you to the next town....

Now you need a LTCF to accept.
    You dont have a closed case to place the gun in. So your only option is a long walk possibly with a very sore set of legs to begin with.
    Where my main though about getting the LTCF was is when you mentionned retaining a lawyer to get the answer... LTCF $25 to $49? Lawyer $250 (free counseling my butt) to $1500 per session...
    Just some thing to think about. Not being sarcastic or putting your values down.

You have a right to carry open with out a LTCF, you have the right to bike in the state od PA without any permits... You don't have the right to transport the gun in a car (closed or not automobile type vehicule) unless it is in a closed case going "Directly" to or from a venue where shooting is allowed or a recognised area where you might need the gun. (Police station, gun shop, place of business)
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bucks County)

Points taken, apology for ignorant reference, I'm just one of those lifelong contrarians that can't understand licensing a right, thereby making it a priviledge when the supreme law of the state is so crystal clear[ignorant and criminal supreme court ruling notwithstanding]. I'm still under the ignorant delusion that the rule of law applies to all, not just the employers of the government that is meant to serve us. Sorry, didn't mean to offend.

(Allegheny County)

Hello all, asked this question in another open carry forum and I guess nobody ever brought it up before. Is it legal to open carry on a bicycle? My simple understanding of the law would tell me it is, however, I do not know if vehicle is a defined term in the statutes, or if in makes a difference as well. I will also probably be paying a lawyer to give me the skinny either way as walking any distance is not my favorite exercise, bicycling is far easier on the knees. I do not need any info on Philadelphia, that is abundantly clear, tyranny rules the streets there from my reading. Thanks for any information regarding legality of bicycle carry.
    With regards: Is a bicycle a vehicle in the state of PA? http://www.bicycleaccess-pa.org/ (short answer is: YES) and they are required to follow the same traffic laws as motorized vehicles -with exceptions.

Hawk,
    Last edited by Hawk; September 18th, 2007 at 01:02 PM.
    Toujours prêt

bikes are considered vehicles in PA i believe...

(Snyder County)

To me it all falls on what the definition of 'vehicle' is. So I looked it up online. And this definition seems to fit the best:

4: a means of carrying or transporting something

The bicycle is transporting you. Just as a skateboard, sled, or truck can be a vehicle. So I would say that if pressed, you could be fined and your gun confiscated. But that is just interpretation and opinion.

But it is my feeling that whenever you plan on open carrying, it is also a smart idea to have a LTCF. Because there are instances like these that you may not think about, that a sneaky cop could get you on. And like Frenchy said about someone offering you a ride. Or even if it gets hot, you un-tuck your shirt to wipe off your brow and your shirt tail falls over the gun for a second. Right there you were attempting to conceal the weapon (in a cops eyes). So your best bet would be to CYA and get a LTCF.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast