Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: IMR8208 XBR

(Armstrong County)

Default IMR8208 XBR

Anyone else tried this powder yet? It meters very well and has shot very nice groups in .204, .22-250, and 260 Remington. Those are the only calibers I have done any testing with so far but results are on par with Varget.
    I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

(Perry County)

Default Re: IMR8208 XBR

I have tried it in ,223 and got disappointing results, although I was trying to load 69 and 75 gr bullets. For 69 and 75 gr bullets in a .223 it isn't even close to Varget inaccuracy or velocity. The powder will do better with lighter bullets I am led to believe. I'll be trying it with 55 grs soon and should have a stronger opinion then. Given my rifle's twist I won't be going below 55 gr so I may not get to where 8208 supposedly shines.

(Chester County)

Default Re: IMR8208 XBR

I have used almost 1lb of IMR 8208. It meters well in the Dillon and I have made some VERY consistent loads. I chronoed some fed gold medal match, 5 rounds with a standard deviation of 22 fps. On that day I chronoed 2 of my loads using 175gr sierra bthp on black hills brass and Winchester primers and IMR 8208 to 12 and 8 fps respectably. Needless to say I was thoroughly impressed. I now have the velocity matching my dope card (set to Fed. G.M.M.)[2650 fps] I will check the groups on my next range trip. The last time I chronoed it was in the 50's I’m curios to see if IMR 8208's claim of consistency in variable climates holds true. I think IMR 8208 may be my new long range powder, if not back to 4064.