Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Looking To Buy My first Revolver!

I’m looking to buy my first revolver. I already saw and read most post about revolver vs. semi-auto; I’m not interested in that discussion. I already have a shotgun for home defense and have two Sig to CCW. I just want a revolver and want to get some input. I did some research on different type of revolver and read some history about it, the brand/model that pops up most of the time is: Colt Python, Ruger GP100, Ruger Blackhawk, S&W model 29 .44 Mag and S&W 686. I’m leaning forward the S&W 686 .357 Mag. I like the way it look and I like the DA/SA trigger. I will be using it mostly for the range. Any suggestion on the barrel length, different caliber or a different model revolver would be appreciated.

Owner or experience users of the SW 686 please post your input. Thanks!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Looking To Buy My first Revolver!

i love my 686. ive got the 7 round, 6" version. i love it. the ability to switch between 38 and 357 is nice as well. its not a light gun by any means but i feel it is well balanced and allows for a great shooting experience.

(Centre County)

For a first revolver with the one's you listed, I'd go with a Ruger GP100, 4 inch barrel, stainless steel. It is practically indestructible and with just a little work the trigger pull can be smoothed up as good as any revolver out there.

That said, if you want a big bore, the Smith 629 is a nice gun also (btw, I'm selling one for a friend ). It looks like an oversized 686.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Chaos View Post
    i love my 686. ive got the 7 round, 6" version. i love it. the ability to switch between 38 and 357 is nice as well. its not a light gun by any means but i feel it is well balanced and allows for a great shooting experience.
    Just curious, why did you choose the 6” barrel? I just want to know if there’s a big difference in the 4” vs. the 6” barrel. Difference in the way it feels and the difference in accuracy?

(Wayne County)

I to have a 686 with a 6" barrel, I went with 6" instead of 4" barrel knowing that I was only going to target shoot with it and felt the longer sight radius would offer a bit more accuracy..

(Centre County)

I must wholeheartedly recommend S&W 686.

They are just about perfect combat magnum in everyway.

Perfect size - Best compromise between strength of frame and ease of handle

Perfect balance - well, 4" is anyway. my 6" is little on nose heavy

Very accurate - provided that you do your part

Easy to shoot - shooting 38special feel like shooting 22LR. much easier to shoot .357mag out of then my 2 K frame I got

Great trigger - Perfectly liner feel. Some of choice which you listed had not so liner feel(trigger gets little heavier as you pull DA trigger)

Choice of 6 or 7 shots

Killer looks - This is personal opinion..

Able to shoot .357mag and .38Special, and everything in between(have you priced .357mag ammo lately?!)

Now, There are couple things to be said about Ruger GP100.
    They are much more robustly built then L frame, due to design of the gun eliminates the need for a frame "sideplate".
    I do believe way cylinder yoke locks in to frame is little better with GP100(is it called Triple cylinder lock?).
    GP100's cylinder release takes some getting used to to operate..
    If CCW is not the main concern, I'd certainly look in to GP100.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

686 for sure! I have 4inch 681 (a 686 with fixed sights) which was the first handgun I bought... it's still my favorite. Great balance / feel in my hand, dead on shooter.

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: Looking To Buy My first Revolver!

I'm partial to the Ruger Blackhawks....... got 3 of them myself, 2 in 357 magnum (one of which is for sale) and the last in 44 magnum. They are very accurate, totally reliable and extremely well made. Plus there a blast to shoot! And they won't cost you an arm and a leg.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Bucks County)

Have you checked out the Ruger SP101? I've handled a few of them and they feel very nice; I'm considering buying one myself.

I have to go with a colt python. Its the best gun I have ever had. I have two infact, the one that saved my life countless times in nam (i dont shoot that one anymore) and my shooter. both are identical, 6" barrel blued with walnut grips. extremely reliable. I dont know anyone that didn't love their python

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast