Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Only Happened 2X in Approx 6,000 rounds, but: Revolver Maybe More Dependable?

First:
    I've only been a firearms owner for about 6 months. I go to the range weekly, and have been working on my skills as well as my general knowledge of handguns. If I use the wrong terminology in my post below, please feel free to correct me (as if I had to ask).

Of the 3 pistols I own, two are quite new, so I don't have a lot of data on those. But, my CZ-75B was my first, and it has had about 6,000 rounds through it since I bought it new in October of last year. It is cleaned thoroughly, and regularly after every trip to the range.

When it was first new, I encountered a jam. One round in the breech of the barrel, and one in the chamber (both live un-fired rounds). I'm not sure how that happens, so that's one thing I'd like your thoughts on (bad ammo? magazine issue? feed ramp issue?)

Since then, until my most recent trip to the range, it never happened again. But, the point is: it did happen again.

So, not the end of the world. I was at the range, cleared the jam, and that was that. But, this kind of thing, though extremely rare, has me thinking that a revolver might be a better home defense weapon. And it's on that point too, that I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Only Happened 2X in Approx 6,000 rounds, but: Revolver Maybe More Dependable?

You shoot about 800 rounds per month in your CZ!!! Wow, that is a lot of shooting.

Learn to quickly deploy the "Tap, Rack, Bang" drill to clear malfunctions. With practice, this way to clear malfunctions becomes fast and second nature. As for revolvers, I would not say they are better and I am a revolver guy through and through. Revolvers are different, and they do not work well for everyone. It takes time to learn and perfect the fine trigger control needed to shoot a double action revolver well.

Try a few revolvers, rent, borrow or go with a buddy to the range and shoot them.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Only Happened 2X in Approx 6,000 rounds, but: Revolver Maybe More Dependable?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    You shoot about 800 rounds per month in your CZ!!! Wow, that is a lot of shooting.
    That'll drop off a bit, as until recently, my shootin' buddy was also using my CZ at the range. So, approx 200-300 rounds a week went through it. Now that he has is own pistol, it'll get less use.

Learn to quickly deploy the "Tap, Rack, Bang" drill to clear malfunctions. With practice, this way to clear malfunctions becomes fast and second nature.
    I'm not familiar with that at all (off to Google). The most recent time it jammed was the first time I had to clear it myself (first time, the range instructor assisted). I ended up dropping the magazine, locking the slide back, and clearing it that way. Not so efficient.

As for revolvers, I would not say they are better and I am a revolver guy through and through. Revolvers are different, and they do not work well for everyone. It takes time to learn and perfect the fine trigger control needed to shoot a double action revolver well.

Try a few revolvers, rent, borrow or go with a buddy to the range and shoot them.
    I have fired a revolver (just once), but at least at the time, felt like it did take more trigger control to avoid adversely affecting my aim. Then again, at the time I tried it, I really had no clue. Thanks for the quick/great response!

(Montgomery County)

This is how you do it:

Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Washington County)

So you had one in teh chamber, which failed to eject, and one tried to feed behind.

Was the ammo the same each time?
    How does your extractor look? Sharp and with spring tension? It may be wearing after all that shooting.

(Montgomery County)

This is how you do it:
    Thank you! That video is excellent! "Beat the snot out of it until it works"!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    So you had one in teh chamber, which failed to eject, and one tried to feed behind.

Was the ammo the same each time?
    I've run a lot of ammo through the thing, and have only had problems with two types (could be the issue). The first was MFS 2000, which I was essentially "sold" w/the CZ, not knowing any better. Never bought it again since. For the most part, I've used Remington, Winchester, and Sellier & Bellot. Never had a problem with any of them until this most recent case, which occurred with ammo from a box of Remington UMC bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    How does your extractor look? Sharp and with spring tension? It may be wearing after all that shooting.
    I'll check. Thank you!

(Berks County)

It sounds to me like you are occasionally, and I would say very occasionally, getting a double feed. In my experience a double feed has more to do with the magazine than with anything else. If it occurs again make sure that you do something to the magazine so that you can identify it in the future and just do not use that one except as a last resort. I have no doubt that you can purchase replacement magazines for your handguns.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    It sounds to me like you are occasionally, and I would say very occasionally, getting a double feed. In my experience a double feed has more to do with the magazine than with anything else. If it occurs again make sure that you do something to the magazine so that you can identify it in the future and just do not use that one except as a last resort. I have no doubt that you can purchase replacement magazines for your handguns.
    Thanks. I'll do that. And yes, in fact, CZ often runs specials on magazines direct from CZ-USA.

(Elk County)

Marks:

IMO, (and at the risk of being flamed) two failures in 6000 rds fired is accpetable. There may be pistols that can digest more rounds without a failure, but NO pistol is 100% reliable throughout its service life. Anyone owning a pistol and not having experienced a failure of some description just hasn't fired it enough.

After 6000 rds, other factors can come into play. For example, it might be time to replace the recoil spring and extractor spring in the CZ, or replace the magazine spring(s). Each of those can contribute to reliable functionality when in good order, or can result in the "system" shifting out of optimal balance if worn or having lost spring force.

Ammo is another factor in the balance of forces and masses in a pistol. Consider the reputation of Remington 9mm in the white and green box as being a "weak" round. For example, if that ammo is loaded into a 9mm SMG like a MAC, Uzi, S&W 76, or Sterling, quite frequently the weapon will fire until the mag empties, even if the shooter releases the trigger. The Remington round doesn't have the power to blow the bolt back sufficiently far as for the sear to engage the sear bent in the bolt with the trigger released. There is sufficient power to force the bolt rearward enough such that the empty is ejected and a new round is chambered and fired, and this continues until the mag empties. My point? Weaker rounds can contribute to functionality issues and failures in an otherwise "nominal" pistol.

Hope this helps,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast