Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Firearm

Default First Firearm

Hi everyone, I have a pretty important question regarding my first pistol. Today was the first day I shot a gun, it was my brothers Glock 19. Now I guess you can say i'm addicted. i'm 18 years old and I was talking to my dad about getting me a cheaper pistol after I finish my class for the army as a graduation gift. I was looking today at a couple of different guns. Here they are with prices that I can best remember.
    Walther PK380- $350.00
    Unknown Brand 1911- $500.00
    Beretta 92sf- I believe in the $400.00 range
    There are some more but I cant remember them all. Also my dad said I would have a 500.00 limit, so if you have any suggestions for a first gun please input. Thanks.

-Andre

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: First Firearm

You should be able to get a very slightly used glock 19 within your price range. Don't worry about buying used as there is not much to go wrong with a glock.
    fred

Out of those three Id go with the Beretta.

I'd say you should look for a Glock since you liked the G19 so much. For $500 you might be able to find a new one, definitely a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF385 View Post
    Out of those three Id go with the Beretta.

I'd say you should look for a Glock since you liked the G19 so much. For $500 you might be able to find a new one, definitely a used one.
    Oh Ditto in that price range BERETTA...but even without the price you will not do better than the Beretta for all around general use pistol....very dependable & a reasonable priced. IMO
    http://military.discovery.com/videos...ctory-beretta/

Don't forget Mel Gibson's choice for Lethal Weapon..they should have paid Mel after the movie's realease Beretta had their best sale's figure's in their history of making them!..LOL

Last but not least: IMO purchase the 9mm as your smallest caliber. Not downing 380's it has a cult following & loyal owner's. I would get one if I needed a very small pistol to conceal but I was self employeed the past 25 years (retired now) My point being I didn't have to conceal it I open carried. Still carry a full size Kimber which is easy to conceal by not tucking my shirt in.

I've allway's preached it does not matter how large or small the caliber but Placement, Placement, Placementbut I still prefer the 9 as the smallest caliber. I know it's a man thing because of women seem to want the largest Thing... they can get...It break's my heart to disapoint them with my little 6 shooter...Good thing though ...it is FULL AUTO....LOL
    Last edited by Ronnies111; April 6th, 2010 at 12:17 AM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

Thanks for ther reply guys. The only issue I had with the glock was when I pressed the mag release button i didnt realize nor did my brother or dad was that i was holding down on the opposite side of the grip a little piece of plastic pops out and I had my hand on it and wondered why the mag release button was so hard to press until later on we figured it out lol. But yea i like the beretta a lot and just read and watched some reviews on the PK380 and they werent very good. Im leaning towards the beretta.

(York County)

i'd definately tell you to go with a GLOCK!!!! ie: G23never jams

you'll never go wrong with it and it's a one in a million that it'll jam on ya... since you're new to pistol shooting, i'd definately go with the 9mm if i were you since you're going to be wanting to shoot constantly and 9mm is still somewhat cheap...

I do however, think that you'll enjoy a Glock 17 more than the Glock 19.

i say that because it's easier to learn to shoot, and be accurate with the fullsize pistol for MOST people... plus, at 18, you aren't able to get your carry permit for 3 years... BUT, you can take a look at the rules, and possibly open carry... then you don't have to be worried about the size of the pistol really... and to top it off with a bonus, glock just released the Glock 17, Gen 4 version! and you won't pay any more than you would for a regular Glock 17...

I hope this info helps you out on your search, if so, rep certainly wouldn't be turned away lol

OH!!! PS.. the "unknown" 1911 for 500, look up the Rock Island Armory selection/ the armscor collection... that's prolly what you're thinking about....
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aadkins18 View Post
    ...just read and watched some reviews on the PK380 and they werent very good.
    It should be a good pistol, but so far mine's going back for the second time, only 5 months out of the box.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aadkins18 View Post
    Walther PK380- $350.00
    One other bit, in case you weren't aware... It says Walther, but it's not. It's Smith & Wesson.

(Chester County)

I think the PK380 is an OK gun if you feed it the right ammo, but like malinki said, there are some questionable issues happening with his... and mine is picky about ammo. I would start with a weapon that has a proven track record and wont fail on you. that way it wont discourage you from wanting to shoot it.

FYI, my first gun was a Smith & Wesson 686P 6" revolver (.357 mag)... and i love it.

If you are military as your post says you can get any 9mm, .40 S&W, or .357 Sig caliber Glock for about $400.00 or so. My recommendation would be a 9mm Glock of some sort. If you are going to carry it then I would get the Glock 19 as a carry gun. It is a good size gun but not too big and it carries 15 rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast