Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Ummm... So my LTCF expired 6 days ago...

...and I had no idea. Carrying the thing around in my wallet for 5 years and hardly ever even touching it, I almost forget it's even there... But I pulled it out morning and there was the expiration date: 4/23/2015.

Crap. I know I am still valid to carry for 6 months, but I can't seem to find any info on whether I am still able to simply renew, or if I must apply all over again.

You fine ladies and gentleman have always been incredibly helpful, so here I am. So does anyone know?
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Ummm... So my LTCF expired 6 days ago...

Renewal/initial application are the exact same thing.

In PA there is no true "renewal" since it is exactly the same process as the initial application. A renewal would have lessor requirements or fees. ..like not having to show proof of training or having to submit fingerprints again, or a reduced license fee.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 29th, 2015 at 09:49 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Good to see you, Snakeman!

Haven't seen you in years, perhaps you can make it to Harrisburg on May 12. I'm certain you could get a ride if necessary. I could probably help find you one.

Your LTCF is not "valid to carry" for 6 months, it is expired.

Title 18

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.
    Yikes!

How is a cop going to read that? He has to arrest you and book you for you to establish the defense?

Or is he going to determine you are eligible for license renewal? That's the Sheriff's job! I don't know how a cop is doing that on the side of the road.

The cop might see you are under 6 months and let you go, he might arrest and book you and tell you to work out with the Sheriff before he decides to file charges, or he might file charges and hold you a few days for arraignment and expect the Judge to sort it out.

I don't know what a cop would do, or if they even know what to do. I'm sure it would work out in the end but not sure of the potential inconvenience and cost.

I would suggest being discrete if you carry at least. I carried on an expired license (no letter from darn Sheriff) but I was very discrete. Also, I have never been asked for LTCF in my 7 years of OC. Your experience has been slightly different, so take that into consideration

(Monroe County)

Yep... Thats why I forgot too... No letter. Yes, I am aware of that tidbit as well... That the 6 month clause is simply a DEFENSE after you get charged. I understand this.

UNGAWA! Yes I am sorry... Lots of things in my life and I really have not been finding the time... Good things, though... My life is probably tons more exciting these days than most people would even believe if I told them lol
    Last edited by snakeman21; April 29th, 2015 at 09:52 AM.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    ...and I had no idea. Carrying the thing around in my wallet for 5 years and hardly ever even touching it, I almost forget it's even there... But I pulled it out morning and there was the expiration date: 4/23/2015.

Crap. I know I am still valid to carry for 6 months, but I can't seem to find any info on whether I am still able to simply renew, or if I must apply all over again.

You fine ladies and gentleman have always been incredibly helpful, so here I am. So does anyone know?
    Assuming you did not move, have an address change &t.

You should have received a renewal notification 6 months prior to the expiration date in the mail. A not insignificant portion of the LTCF fee is to pay for the "Costs" of contacting you for renewal, and it is literally one of the only jobs Sheriff is required to do.

Failure to do so is not only a violation of statute, but a misappropriation of government funds....
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Assuming you did not move, have an address change &t.

You should have received a renewal notification 6 months prior to the expiration date in the mail. A not insignificant portion of the LTCF fee is to pay for the "Costs" of contacting you for renewal, and it is literally one of the only jobs Sheriff is required to do.

Failure to do so is not only a violation of statute, but a misappropriation of government funds....
    He didn't get one in his county, I didn't get one in mine, and neither one of us is the first example.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    He didn't get one in his county, I didn't get one in mine, and neither one of us is the first example.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that most people do NOT receive this letter.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LordTobias View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that most people do NOT receive this letter.
    I'm unaware of any metrics on this. Certainly we see some credible anecdotal evidence of non-receipt but that is hardly corroborative of what you posited above.

As a counter-anecdote to the two failures posted in this thread - my wife & I each got our letter 60+ days prior to expiry.
    IANAL

(Lancaster County)

I can't recall ever receiving a notice, I'm up for renewal later this year, if I get something I'll post it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I can't recall ever receiving a notice, I'm up for renewal later this year, if I get something I'll post it.
    Cumberland County sends out reminder cards, or at least they have for my past two renewals. I guess I am among the fortunate in this discussion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast