http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/M...oncealed-Carry

just a heads up that there is much more to it
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Chester County)

Default Re: Concealed carry in Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/M...oncealed-Carry

just a heads up that there is much more to it
    Gummy, thanks to you, I printed the Ohio manual out which I'll read tonight.

What precipitated my question on this forum is that we are visiting my 90 year old mom (who was on the Penn State's National Woman's Rifle Team in the way-back machine and taught me how to shoot) in Ohio for about a week and given what has occurred in one or more notable cities this past week, I'm somewhat uncomfortable visiting without carrying. And with as many mags, magazine capacity, and spare rounds as legally allowed in Ohio.

While I am one of those who avoid trouble at all costs, I have been around the track enough times to realize that no matter your best efforts, trouble- accompanied by random and chance event - have a way of showing up when least expected.

I was also at the website earlier today to determine if a PA resident with the appropriate license could carry concealed in Ohio.

According to their website:

"Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code 109.69, Ohio recognizes any out-of-state concealed handgun license (edit: PA doesn't call it that) so long as the license holder is not a resident of Ohio and is "temporarily in this state." If a person with a concealed handgun license becomes an Ohio resident, he or she must then obtain an Ohio concealed handgun licenses within six months of becoming an Ohio resident."

My thinking is that while I don't have an Ohio license (and am not an Ohio resident), the fact that I have a valid PA license (and am a PA resident) - even though PA doesn't meet Ohio's standards for 12 additional hours of handgun training for official reciprocity purposes between states, (FWIW, I spend that much time at the range nearly every month) my PA license would be valid in Ohio.

Even if there is no official reciprocity as of the date of this post between Ohio and PA.

Alternatively, I do have a Utah license. Utah has reciprocity with Ohio.

So, am I good to go? Magazines would be 15 rounders...

Since we're leaving on Sunday, I would greatly appreciate any expedited FACTS and thoughts on my alternatives.

We'd conceal-carry our pistols and put a few magazines within easy reach on this 450 mile drive, and probably have an extra few hundred rounds in an ammo can in the back of our vehicle.

Although I've never been stopped in Ohio (or carried in Ohio for that matter), I also believe that folks who do carry are required to inform the officer if stopped, that they are carrying.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post on the forum...

I know this is last-minute planning on my part, but I've been really busy at my bullet casting apprenticeship...
    - bamboomaster

(Warren County)

that's a good plan
    With your utah permit you are covered.

Ohio biggies:
    Immediately inform you have a permit and are armed when stopped by john law

No guns allowed signs have force of law in Ohio
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Gummy, thanks to you, I printed the Ohio manual out which I'll read tonight.

What precipitated my question on this forum is that we are visiting my 90 year old mom (who was on the Penn State's National Woman's Rifle Team in the way-back machine and taught me how to shoot) in Ohio for about a week and given what has occurred in one or more notable cities this past week, I'm somewhat uncomfortable visiting without carrying. And with as many mags, magazine capacity, and spare rounds as legally allowed in Ohio.

While I am one of those who avoid trouble at all costs, I have been around the track enough times to realize that no matter your best efforts, trouble- accompanied by random and chance event - have a way of showing up when least expected.

I was also at the website earlier today to determine if a PA resident with the appropriate license could carry concealed in Ohio.

According to their website:

"Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code 109.69, Ohio recognizes any out-of-state concealed handgun license (edit: PA doesn't call it that) so long as the license holder is not a resident of Ohio and is "temporarily in this state." If a person with a concealed handgun license becomes an Ohio resident, he or she must then obtain an Ohio concealed handgun licenses within six months of becoming an Ohio resident."

My thinking is that while I don't have an Ohio license (and am not an Ohio resident), the fact that I have a valid PA license (and am a PA resident) - even though PA doesn't meet Ohio's standards for 12 additional hours of handgun training for official reciprocity purposes between states, (FWIW, I spend that much time at the range nearly every month) my PA license would be valid in Ohio.

Even if there is no official reciprocity as of the date of this post between Ohio and PA.

Alternatively, I do have a Utah license. Utah has reciprocity with Ohio.

So, am I good to go? Magazines would be 15 rounders...

Since we're leaving on Sunday, I would greatly appreciate any expedited FACTS and thoughts on my alternatives.

We'd conceal-carry our pistols and put a few magazines within easy reach on this 450 mile drive, and probably have an extra few hundred rounds in an ammo can in the back of our vehicle.

Although I've never been stopped in Ohio (or carried in Ohio for that matter), I also believe that folks who do carry are required to inform the officer if stopped, that they are carrying.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post on the forum...

I know this is last-minute planning on my part, but I've been really busy at my bullet casting apprenticeship...
    see:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...dents-ccw.html

Under the new law, now in effect, a non-Ohio resident can carry on an LTCF while "temporarily" in the state.
    IANAL

(Chester County)

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I read all 17 pages of the PAFOA thread and all 24 pages of "Ohio's Concealed Carry Laws and License Application".

Thanks to everyone here, I'm good to go...
    - bamboomaster

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    No guns allowed signs have force of law in Ohio
    They do in PA as well, trespassing.

Also while you can carry into bar you cannot drink alcohol while carrying in OH.
    Last edited by QuackXP; May 3rd, 2015 at 10:14 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12