Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default How is the supply of ammo?

I have not checked any stores in my area for ammo in ages. I bought some ammo back in 2009, but have not bought any more since (mainly due to how difficult it was to get and the prices). I know that some of you have been keeping an eye on the ammo supply. Could someone please give me an update on ammo? Is it still hard to get popular pistol calibers (9mm in particular)? How about .22 long rifle? How are the ammo prices? Are they still inflated from the gun rush? Or are they slowly starting to sink back down to their normal levels? Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading everyone's input.

(Chester County)

Default Re: How is the supply of ammo?

Hoplophobia is funny

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    West Chester, I already know about that thread. However, that thread does not have the info I need. All I need are answers to the following questions:

Is it still hard to get popular pistol calibers (in order words, is the gun rush still going strong)?

Are the prices still inflated? Or have they finally decreased from the 2009 level?

The walmart thread simply has a laundry list of ammo found at particular walmart locations.

(Chester County)

1. sure, why not.
    2. Do you want to figure the devaluation of our US dollar into the equation?
    3. Prices rarely go down. Look at the UPS fuel surcharge that is still going strong.

Who can possibly answer that question... all gun shops are different. Some placed large orders, some decided not to and prolong a shortage. Walmart has some ammo in stock, others run out as soon as the truck arrives. Depends on your brand preference as well.

You are asking a general question and will get a general answer of no one knows for sure.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    I have not checked any stores in my area for ammo in ages. I bought some ammo back in 2009, but have not bought any more since (mainly due to how difficult it was to get and the prices). I know that some of you have been keeping an eye on the ammo supply. Could someone please give me an update on ammo? Is it still hard to get popular pistol calibers (9mm in particular)? How about .22 long rifle? How are the ammo prices? Are they still inflated from the gun rush? Or are they slowly starting to sink back down to their normal levels? Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading everyone's input.

I can get .22 all over the place. I got a 550 round Federal bulk pack at Wal Mart tonight for 20 bucks. I bought a 350 pack of Remington Thunderbolts there last week for $14. I got a 500 round box of Thunderbolts at Bass Pro Shop for $20, and a Winchester 333 pack for like $14 bucks a well. They have lots of CCI .22 ammo at my Wal Mart as well, but I'm not paying for it...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lehigh County)

.22lr is plentiful, and 9mm is in decent supply most places
    Bullets will be the currency of the future

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Let me give you my generalizations in a very general manner.

I frequent gun shops and sporting goods stores, as I am currently unemployed, and generally have some time to fiddle around doing this.

I see stocks of ammunition coming back up, but still nowhere to pre-Obama days. I see overall prices lower than at their height last summer and fall, but again, generally nowhere near to pre-Obamma days.

Availability of 22 rimfire seems to me, generally, to be increasing faster than centerfire pistol ammunition. Pistol ammunition is less in supply than rifle ammunition generally, and rifle ammunition did not disappear as thoroughly as pistol ammunition during the height of the wave of Obama-fueled buying.

Shotgun ammunition suypplies generally did not diminish as as deeply as rifle, which in turn, did not diminish so deeply (or so raidly) as did centerfire pistol ammunition.

With the general exception of slug and buckshot rounds, shotgun ammunition did not seem to be so terribly affected in supply or price, though prices did rise, along with but not as steeply as other ammunition. For instance, I can now find 3" 410 shells for under $15 in some places, where during the height of things, the best I could find was $16 or $17. Pre-O, the best I found locally was $12-$14. You already can glean the 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP figures from the WalMart thread, as well as get a good idea of 22.

That above, is generally my impression and experience over the past year and a half. YMMV, of course. There certainly will be others with their own experiences, which may (and most probably WILL) differ from my own, as well as that of others. So for what it is generally worth, there is one person's opinion and experience.

Not at all meaning to make light of your question and interest, but when you ask: "Could someone please give me an update on ammo?", that's my general view.

"West Chester" ( "You are asking a general question and will get a general answer of no one knows for sure. ") is likely a prophet. . . . . In the general sense of the word.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Lancaster County)

The short answer is that things are much better than they were.

Most calibers can be found and prices are coming down for most calibers.

Some of your big stores like Gander Mountain still have obscenely high prices, but most small shops have lowered theirs.

Your best bet for ammo though, especially if you don't buy it often, is to just place bulk orders online. You can find pretty much anything you need and the market for online sellers is much more competitive.

If you just need a few boxes for target shooting, Wal-Mart has the best prices for popular handgun calibers, often better than online. The one's near me have been stocked for the last couple of months, but I think they still have the 6 box limit in place.

The gun rush is over for now. No new legislation is on the table, and people got sick and tired of being gouged by dealers. The free market is a wonderful thing. Sellers can sell what they have for any price they want, but if they get too greedy (as most gun/ammo dealers did) they will pay the price later on when consumers refuse to buy from them again. That's what's happening now.

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: How is the supply of ammo?

Thanks everyone, that's exactly what I needed to know. I greatly appreciate your input.

(Franklin County)

I was at Dicks' in Hagerstown, Md on April 1st. They had a great supply of 9 mm, 38s, 40s and 45 ACP. I was looking for 9 mm. I asked what my limit to buy was. The clerk's answer "As much as you want"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast