Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rifled Slugs?, Sabot Slugs?, Buck Shot?

I have a Remington 870 with a short slug barrel.(not rifled)
    Do I shoot Rifled Slugs through it? Or do I shoot Sabot Slugs through it?
    Can I shoot buck shot through the Slug barrel or do I have to put the original barrel on for Buck Shot?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Rifled Slugs?, Sabot Slugs?, Buck Shot?

You can use either in smooth bore barrels. In 870's and Mossbrg 500's.. And either will work with varying results, and theres nothing wrong with using either. I personally prefer rifled slugs in a smoothbore from my experiences.

Buckshot will work just fine in a the slug barrel, which will more than likely have a cylinder bore-just expect a wider pattern. No need to put on the other barrel.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

Sabot slugs need a rifled barrel to obtain optimum results. It is not recommended to shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel for obvious reasons.

(Allegheny County)

I have shot all of the ammo you stated through rifled and unrifled slug barrels on both shotguns (Rem.870s & Moss.500s) I have also shot all the ammo you stated through an 18 1/2" barrel on both shotguns and other than pattern and dist. it doesn't hurt the barrel at all. But the ammo manufact. and the firearm manufact. recommend that you shot the right ammo through the right barrel becauce of of being sued.
    Last edited by HinesTR57; September 18th, 2007 at 12:11 AM. Reason: forgot to finish statement
    Tom

(Clinton County)

For hunting, saboted slugs are ment for rifled barrels and are far superior to standard slugs in this type of gun, in a smooth bore use standard slugs or the best of the lot in a smooth bore are the Brenneake style with the wad attached to the slug, the cheapest of the Brenneake style are Wolf 12ga. out of Cheaper Than Dirt.
    For buckshot use a modified or full choke and don"t shoot over 40 yards.

(Wyoming County)

Tony f what is the obvious reason? Because they are both rifled? I shoot brennekes out of my rifled 12 I get the same performance that I did with sabots at about 1/5 the price... The reason I always heard was the lead would clog the rifling. However I found an amazing invention to take care of that problem, its called a cleaning kit..

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Inhimwelive View Post
    Tony f what is the obvious reason? Because they are both rifled? I shoot brennekes out of my rifled 12 I get the same performance that I did with sabots at about 1/5 the price... The reason I always heard was the lead would clog the rifling. However I found an amazing invention to take care of that problem, its called a cleaning kit..
    May I ask at what range you got the same performance through a rifled barrel shooting both sabots and rifled slugs? Do you mean grouping of shots or knocking deer down?

When i got a rifled bbl SG (20 inch 12 ga Ithaca), maybe 20 yrs ago or so, I shot one make of rifled slugs which had the rifled slug lands rotating in a similar manner as the bbl rifling. I doubt they were the same twist rate but I thought I'd give them a try.

They shot very poorly. Having leaded the barrel somewhat, I cleaned it and shot some other rifled slugs which also performed very poorly. It took a long time to clean that barrel.

I finally spent the money on some BRI sabots ( I think Winchester bought them out 10 or 15 years ago) and was able to group 3 to 3 1/2" groups consistantly at 100yds (I had a then new /now junk Simmons scope on it).

I now shoot Rem copper sabots and they group pretty good and put deer down quickly. Expansion is a nonissue.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Wyoming County)

I meant groups... I tried three or four types of sabots and only one performed marginally better than the Brennekes(forget which).. I use to shoot federals in my cylinder bore but they were terrible in the rifled.. The rifling on the Brennekes is different and I have wondered if that is the reason for the better performance or maybe its the attached wad,.. For me they are accurate out to 100 yards and when I can buy them for $2.00 a box on sale I will spend the time cleaning the barrel.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Inhimwelive View Post
    I meant groups... I tried three or four types of sabots and only one performed marginally better than the Brennekes(forget which).. I use to shoot federals in my cylinder bore but they were terrible in the rifled.. The rifling on the Brennekes is different and I have wondered if that is the reason for the better performance or maybe its the attached wad,.. For me they are accurate out to 100 yards and when I can buy them for $2.00 a box on sale I will spend the time cleaning the barrel.

I guess it's a matter of matching the ammo to the firearm as is the case with a lot of guns.

I couldn't hit paper with some combinations I tried (rifled slugs with rifled bbl.) I don't know if length of bbl was a factor or not.

I found a combo that worked for me and pretty much stuck with it.

later, 27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Chester County)

I have shot lots of different slugs/sabots. There is a ig diference between brands in my remington 870 with a rfiled barrel. The more expensive brenneke KO sabots shoot in groups less than half the size of remington and winchester rifled slugs. Also sabots are,in my opinion, much more effective than slugs on deer in any distances over about 40 yrds.
    My 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast