Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default So a covered holster is concealed or not concealed?

Lets say you have a holster on your hip OPEN for all to see but it has a flap that covers the pistol. It is obvious that it is a holster for a weapon.

Legal to Open Carry or is this a concealed handgun?

This is all hypothetical btw. I can carry how I wish with my LTCF.

Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: So a covered holster is concealed or not concealed?

My opinion ? Open.

I'd say you are OCing the holster, but CCing the pistol since the gun itself is hidden from view.

(Philadelphia County)

I vote OC, because you can tell its a gun in plain sight.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Luzerne County)

It's considered open if it is in a holster or carrier made for firearms, that can be seen. This is a different state, all I could find.

The following is a state law defining a concealed weapon:

62.1-04-01. Definition of concealed. A firearm or dangerous weapon is concealed if it is carried in such a manner as to not be discernible by the ordinary observation of a passerby. There is no requirement that there be absolute invisibility of the firearm or dangerous weapon, merely that it not be ordinarily discernible. A firearm or dangerous weapon is considered concealed if it is not secured, and is worn under clothing or carried in a bundle that is held or carried by the individual, or transported in a vehicle under the individual's control or direction and available to the individual, including beneath the seat or in a glove compartment. A firearm or dangerous weapon is not considered concealed if it is:

1. Carried in a belt holster which is wholly or substantially visible or carried in a case designed for carrying a firearm or dangerous weapon and which is wholly or substantially visible;

2. Locked in a closed trunk or luggage compartment of a motor vehicle;
    3. Carried in the field while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping, or target shooting, whether visible or not; or
    4. Carried by any person permitted by law to possess a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to that person's home or place of business, or to a place of repair, or back from those locations.
    5. A bow and arrow, an unloaded rifle or shotgun, or an unloaded weapon that will expel, or is readily capable of expelling, a projectile by the action of a spring, compressed air, or compressed gas including any such weapon commonly referred to as a BB gun, air rifle, or CO 2 gun, while carried in a motor vehicle.
    Last edited by cadence2arms; April 5th, 2010 at 01:25 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

So my guntoters fanny pack is considered Open Carry?

(Franklin County)

Point #2 seems to significantly undermine 6106 as it relates to unlicensed vehicle carry. I wonder if that definition has ever been successfully used to defend against such a charge?

While I certainly don't recommend one do this, it would also seem to give some weight to the oft parroted "I can take it xyz as long as I unload it and put it in the trunk". Further, point #2 does not even require that the firearm be unloaded.

Very interesting food for thought. Cadence, do you have a link to where you found that info? I will be very interested to see what others here who are well-versed in the law have to say about this.

Never mind. The referenced definition is from North Dakota statute, not Pennsylvania's.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; April 5th, 2010 at 01:46 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
    So my guntoters fanny pack is considered Open Carry?
    I don't think the "average" person would see it as a holster. They would assume it is just a fanny pack. Thus, it would be consealed.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Point #2 seems to significantly undermine 6106 as it relates to unlicensed vehicle carry. I wonder if that definition has ever been successfully used to defend against such a charge?

While I certainly don't recommend one do this, it would also seem to give some weight to the oft parroted "I can take it xyz as long as I unload it and put it in the trunk". Further, point #2 does not even require that the firearm be unloaded.

Very interesting food for thought. Cadence, do you have a link to where you found that info? I will be very interested to see what others here who are well-versed in the law have to say about this.
    In the supreme court of the United States

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post

It appears the quoted law is from North Dakota:
    http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t621c04.pdf

Although Arizona seems to have a similar verbiage....

ID

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast