Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Pistol review: Sig P228

Well, after carrying and shooting this weapon for a few months now, I feel like it's about time I should give it a review.
    First and foremost, some background. I bought a used HK USP Compact 40sw as my first pistol and all around CCW weapon. I liked it a lot, but it did have some FTFs a few times at the range. That, and the price difference between .40sw and .9mm led me on a quest for one of the following:
    -HK USP C 9mm
    -Glock 19
    -Sig P228/229.
    Well I found this used p228 at classic pistol and got an OK deal on it. Immediately, I fell in love. Has probably the best DA/SA trigger ever from the factory (one of the things Sig has long been heralded for.). Finish could be better, as it does have some unusual wear at the rear of the slide... but it's a carry gun, I could care less. This thing is SMOOTH. Flawless functioning also.

Thus far, I have run maybe 500 rounds of WWB/Remington Green Box/Federal ball through it, and about 15-20 rounds of federal hollowpoints, and have yet to have any sort of malfunction whatsoever.
    As far as accuracy, it is a tack driver. The sights for me are right where they need to be and I am a huge fan of Sig's "dot the I" sight system. Gun points fairly naturally for me as well. At 7 yards, it will punch one hold inside the 10 ring, at 10 it may venture out into the 9 ring, but this is unsupported shooting, and since every shooter's ability is different, YMMV. Drawing from concealment, the pistol has a tendency to come out of the holster and into hand a little lower on the grip than would be perfect. This, I'm sure, can be fixed with a lot of draw practice. Bringing the gun on target is easy for me, and using the flash/front sight method of target acquisition I am surprised at how fast I have picked up it's traits and been able to get the weapon completely controlled.
    One of my FAVORITE features is Sig's decocker. It allows you to control the hammer's drop. Sorry HK, you got that one wrong. On the USP series, the hammer snaps forward as if to fire. The Sig feels much more safe in that respect. (Although I must say I never doubted the safety of the HKs decocker system, albeit how unnerving it is to let that hammer fly forward with full force.)
    Shooting experience is great. I'm not a glock basher, I think they are great guns, but here is MY opinion of the shooting experience vs. a g19: Ergonomics, the sig (for me) wins, HANDS DOWN. It is just by far the most comfortable semi I've ever had the pleasure to shoot. Perceived recoil with the 9mm is very light and managable, and follow up shots are quick. "Solid" feel? Sig wins again. Sorry, but glocks do have a "cheap" feeling to them. Ease of use? The glock wins, but I am not a huge fan of striker fired triggers, I was raised and trained on DA/SA so the transition shot isn't an issue for me. Other than striker pistols, Sig gets it right for simplicity with semi-autos, being there is no external safety to get you killed. Fit/finish? Finish goes to glock. I am a believer that glock's finish is very hard to beat. Fitment, however, goes to Sig. It just FEELS more well built, I think of it as a honda vs. a porsche. The honda (read: glock) will be just as reliable as the porsche (read: Sig), but the porsche will feel nicer overall.
    Price? P228/P229s are in the 4-600 dollar range used from what I commonly see. So you will spend the same amount for a used Sig that you will for a NEW glock. I guess if you don't like used firearms, that's an issue. I don't mind at all, and at times prefer them since they "come broken in."
    Mag capacity? Glock wins here, but sig isn't far off. Mecgar makes 15 rd. mags that will function perfectly for the Sig for less money than the factory mags, which are still made by mec gar but only hold 13 rds. I have no issue with carrying 14 rds. of 9mm HPs, but the glock does hold more.
    Is it comfortable to carry? I carry mine daily in a tagua gunleather holster IWB. I don't generally have any problems at all carrying this weapon. I do own a Kel Tec PF9 for the days where I "don't want to carry," but those days have been very limited because of how much I truly trust and enjoy the sig. It is very carryable, and very concealable. It is a tad bit bigger than a G19.

In closing, the Sig has an outstanding track record of performance worldwide. These guns are VERY VERY reliable, extremely accurate, and an absolute joy to shoot. I'd highly recomend a P228/P229 to anyone looking for a range or carry pistol. Why wouldn't I? I trust my life with one.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Pistol review: Sig P228

Thank you for posting this review. I have been looking for a used 228 and will def be more aggressive with my search.

Thxs for the review I am actually looking for a all metal SIG. I have a Sig Pro 2009 and i absolutely love it for all the reasons you stated above.
    Tantric Shooting Team

You guys are welcome. The P226/P228/P229/P220/P225 are all hard to beat. The P225 would be even better for CCW use, because it is a little thinner, but it doesn't hold as many rounds. I went for the high round cap. in the P228. FYI, the P228 is a little lighter than the P229 as well,but the tradeoff is an all stainless steel milled slide, not a stamped carbon slide. That said, many people actually like the way a P228 handles, balances, and carries a little better than the P229, and also note the P228 is marginally thinner than the P229.
    Just all things I forgot to write in the review that are still pertinent.

(Chester County)

I have a P6(225) and I can tell you its awesome for CC and its dead on balls accurate. It definately is the best sidearm I have owned to date

(Montgomery County)

Nice gun - great post.

A new P228 was my first Sig 15 years ago and it's still one of my favorites today. Good luck with yours!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the post, I've been looking to trade in for a 229, all the info on 228 helps a lot!

The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living
    with power to endanger the public liberty. -John Adams

(Warren County)

Nice guy and a good review. Time to add another gun to my wish list. LOL
    Tim , USAF Ret.