Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mountain lions in Pa?

Sorry guys , I was out checking my game camera , hoping some nice bucks were on it , but you ain't goin believe what I found instead.

if you look real close you will see something in elvis's one ear .... I think that is a game commission ear tag!!! Tomorrow I will run this down to them , see what they have to say about it. Stocking mountains and coyotes is one thing .... but I won't STAND for the stocking of elvis's!!!

(Washington County)

Or was it this kind of black panther?

It wouldn't surprise me if there were an occasional panther or mountain lion (is there a difference) wandering around PA sometime. Supposedly, Panther Hollow in Oakland is named that because panthers lived there at one time.

Vince
    Last edited by bloomautomatic; September 21st, 2007 at 10:44 PM.
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Luzerne County)

WMG, nice game cam pics!

Speaking of game cameras, here's what I think of the Mtn. Lion debate (or rumors)

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    ...Supposedly, Panther Hollow in Oakland is named that because panthers lived there at one time.
    Probably...
    Where I'm from in the southern catskills panthers were a real problem in the settlers days...

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if there were an occasional panther or mountain lion (is there a difference) wandering around PA sometime. Supposedly, Panther Hollow in Oakland is named that because panthers lived there at one time.

Vince
    We used to have indians running around the hills to , but been awhile since I seen any of them
    cept this one time , way back in the woods , I heard them , they must've been memebers of the "fukewee" tribe
    cuz they were hollering ...... WE'RE THE FUKAWEE ........ WE'RE THE FUKAWEE

Scared the bajeebees out of me

Ok, I do know the difference between a bob cat and a mountain lion.
    My friend that lives in Syracuse has a bob cat. Came in through the doggy door one day and never left. She goes out to "eat", but comes in and plays and sleeps with his two huge dogs. She still uses the doggy door. Shes very sweet like a house cat, but I never forgot shes a wild animal.
    My parents' neighborhood in CA is infested with mountain lions. I saw them so may times when I was there I felt like I was in the zoo. Also in CA there is a place called Trabuco Canyon. There are thousands there living in the caves. There are signs all over saying you cannot kill them, and they will not be killed by police. They will be darted and taken back to their homes. They are a protected species.
    When you start destroying their habitat they move on to other habitats.
    When I lived in NYC there was a man lived by the beach that had 2 pumas. He brought them up from FL when they were kittens. Unfortunately, when they were discovered, they were killed.
    People "collect" wildlife. Sad part is you cannot domesticate these animals. Plus its against any law to keep a wild animal in you home or on your property with out proper permits.
    People are just stupid.

(Franklin County)

well if i get the chance, ill beat the living crap out of a mountain lion with my gun...only shoot it if it bites..then i would have 2 forms of evidence...a wound and dead cat. well anyway all this reminds me of a story. a few years back when i was a bit younger, a bar/hotel own near harrisonville PA, a few miles west of here..ok a lot of miles, but still a half hour away or so...he or she, had one of their horses that lived in a stable out back, killed...and they never concluded what killed the horse, but somehow they ruled out a large cat. but that means it was still something...a bear, wolf, coyotes? or one sick twisted person...in any case, id personally like to talk to the investigators of that case to see how they could rule out a cat...i mean does a cat kill a horse any differently than a bear? my opinion though is that it was a mt lion, i mean the game commission wouldnt come out and say it obviously if they werent supposed to be here, i mean how hard is it to just say "yeah it was a bear"..i mean people would accept that...lots of bears are shot in that county every year..10-20 on average as far as i know. so im thinking it was a cover up..lol...but seriously if you want to prove my story wrong, be my guest and do a search on it, but im telling you if it was "inconclusive" then it was probably a mt lion.
    "Hunting is a privilege, owning a gun is a right" ~ someone from outdoor life magazine..

So what you are saying is .... the lack of proof , is therefore proof itself??

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    So what you are saying is .... the lack of proof , is therefore proof itself??
    i would say there was proof of something...why it wasnt ever made public is just a bit suspicious...i would liken it to say a dead body with puncture wounds, would it make sense to immediately rule out a sharp object? if it could be at least present the evidence and explain why...i mean wouldnt you want to know what killed your horse? personally it probably was a bear, but if not, it was therefore a big predator...or like i said, one messed up individual lol.
    "Hunting is a privilege, owning a gun is a right" ~ someone from outdoor life magazine..

well then , perhaps if there was no evidence agaisnt it ... maybe it was one of them bangol tigers?
    Anyhow , here is a rumor , from someone I won't name , the game com may be denying the existence of mountain lions in order to get the population up to huntable levels , and when that happens the game com will step up and say , we have these lions and can control the numbers threw hunting , instead of getting protection while there numbers are too low to hunt

WMican'tbelieveIjustsaidthatG

^^^did i do that right?^^^

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast