Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default Re: Mountain lions in Pa?

I think it is foolish not to believe there is at least one lion in PA .. Come on at least one fool has let his pet lion go in the woods.. I do believe there is one in the area of wellsboro/pennsylvania grand canyon.There have been many sightings in that area. And about 4 years ago I was shown a video of one near wellsboro.. It was shown to the Dnr and their take was it was a bobcat..interesting though I've never seen a bobcat with a 3.5 foot tale.. I also had an experience in the canyon at night that made me almost piss my pants and is the main reason I now carry a side arm..

Sure there might be one here and there , but all the bull and lies makes the 1 fella who did see one look like all the rest of the tall tales.
    If I did see one I wouldn't say a word cuz who is goin believe it except for the people who believe all they hear.
    Look at it this way , go into any bar , sportsman club , gun/hunting forum , even this one for example , and ask around , there will always be folks swearing on a stack of bibles that some joe blow who is the most honest guy in town seen one , etc , etc , etc "how come the town drunk/liars never see them?"
    Now go some where , where the lions are on record of existing and talk to alot of folks there , and they say ..... nope ,they are real secretive creatures , never seen one and been livin here all my life.
    So now I am to believe that the 2 cougars in Pa have been seen by countless thousands of people from all over.
    Here is an interesting "maybe" story.
    Where I live this guy who had other guys swearing to his honesty , etc , had a pic , this pic was taken with his game camera .... word spread like wildfire , this all happened last year mind you , anyhow I finally get the pic and now it has been slightly blurred , but ok , 1st of all I don't buy it and then I notice there is no time stamp on the pic , thats weird I think , all pics from game cams I ever seen where stamped , so what happens , I look around a little and bingo , that pic had been on the web for years , it wasn't the one that started this post but another one , anyhow what does this all mean? It was fake and to this day copies of this pic is hanging up in bars , little stores , etc. The very 1st time I seen it hanging in a local bar was after I found out it was fake , and there I am in the bar being told by everybody about this mountain lion , of course I didn't even bother to say a word ,, ya sure ok.and hey , this thread is another prime example , what are these guys thinking in the 1st place? that no one else has interent????? at least use a new pic that hasn't already been established by 100 other people as their own , cripes that just shows total laziness ., at least put in some effort if youre goin sling the bull, anyhow I had suggested a plan for that the guy who was pulling everyones leg where I live , I suggested we go over and take some big knives and carve up his car and doors on his house , and then go , geeze , mustve been the mountain lion ya seen , then see what he had to say , oh and after i showed the pics and showed the guys photo was fake , all the guys who once swore to the fellas honesty , were now goin , "oh ya I never believed it" ........ come on

(Lycoming County)

Several years ago while in a gun shop a guy stopped in with a couple of Polaroid photos of a dead Mt. Lion. The lion had a PGC tag in its ear, the guy allegedly took the photos and the tag to the GC and after looking at it they denied it.

Hm, wouldn't the truth fit better????
    Jack

Heard the same story , only it involved coyotes , and hey , makes sense to me, I mean if I was releasing animals and it was a big secret and wanted to deny it , FIRST thing I would do is put my tag in its ear. ya thats how I'd do it

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by the lone gunman View Post
    Friend of mine says he took this pic when he heard a noise on his backporch. He is in Snowshoe , Pa.
    According to Snopes, this pic was taken in 2000/2001 in Wyoming.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals...untainlion.asp
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(York County)

They're really here, and multiplying

(Lycoming County)

Dang Twisted you should get an award for photo of the year, you've captured a whole flock of them critters.

Granted I've never seen a big cat in the wild, and only a Poloroid photo of one that was claimed to have been tagged and shot, hm, maybe shot then tagged?.?.?.

I would have to believe that there are a few in the state, but certainly not as many as there are feral domestic cats.
    As to the PA Game Com. tagging and releasing? That's 150% believable. That's one messed up dept.
    Jack

Thumbs down Re: Mountain lions in Pa?

I hate this debate, but will give my opinion anyway. Do I believe that a lion or two have recently roamed the state? Maybe, given the possibility of escaped or released "pets". Do I think the game commission is releasing them to reduce the deer heard or for any other reason, NO. Do I think that there is habitat in PA that could sustain a few lions, yes. Here is where I have a problem. With all of the sportsmen, bird watchers, photographers, varmint hunters, predator hunters, campers, hikers, snow shoers, skiiers, snowmobilers, atv riders, geo cache guys, mt. bikers, etc, etc. There has NOT been a verified sighting. I am not a biologist and am not familiar with the range of the Mt. Lion, but I would guess that they go where the food is and stay there like most other living things. Not only do we not have any true positively identified sightings, but THERE ARE NO PHOTOGRAPHS, NO PHOTOS OF TRACKS, NO CASTS MADE OF TRACKS, NO SCAT, NO PHOTOS OF SCAT, NONE HIT BY VEHICLE. If there were lions, these things would all be documented. I would actually welcome them, but since there are NONE here, it is a moot point.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

(spooky music playing softly in the background)

My step-mother always told tales of a BLACK panther that prowled the dark forest near her farm. It would frighten the horses at night and she said it scared the hell out of them because they could "sense" it watching them as they went, armed with shotguns, to check on the horses. The horses could "sense" it's presence long before us humans could and they didn't like being "trapped" in the barn, with nowhere to run! Said they would see "glimpses" of the elusive, black beast once in a while as it moved through the rocks and trees, and could often hear it "screaming" in the night, causing every hair on your body to stand on end...

I always thought she was full of shit.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    (spooky music playing softly in the background)

My step-mother always told tales of a BLACK panther that prowled the dark forest near her farm. It would frighten the horses at night and she said it scared the hell out of them because they could "sense" it watching them as they went, armed with shotguns, to check on the horses. The horses could "sense" it's presence long before us humans could and they didn't like being "trapped" in the barn, with nowhere to run! Said they would see "glimpses" of the elusive, black beast once in a while as it moved through the rocks and trees, and could often hear it "screaming" in the night, causing every hair on your body to stand on end...

I always thought she was full of shit.
    I caught the elusive beast.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast