Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Glock slide release question

I read in a youtube video comment that Glock's have a "slide lock" and not a "slide release", and that using it to release that slide can wear the mechanism...He went on to say that he's seen glocks with the slide "mechanism" so worn that just laying them down would close the slide...

I dont ever recall reading this in the manual, nor in the countless hours of glock research I did before buying. For glocks, the supposed most reliable handgun ever yada yada this is pretty disheartening if true. I can say that I always use the level as a release, and my only FTF ever was when I tried to not use the level and manually pulled back on the slide (i dont think I pulled it all the way back..)

Any truth in this?

Default Re: Glock slide release question

Quote Originally Posted by GunMan21 View Post
    I read in a youtube video comment that Glock's have a "slide lock" and not a "slide release", and that using it to release that slide can wear the mechanism...He went on to say that he's seen glocks with the slide "mechanism" so worn that just laying them down would close the slide...

I dont ever recall reading this in the manual, nor in the countless hours of glock research I did before buying. For glocks, the supposed most reliable handgun ever yada yada this is pretty disheartening if true. I can say that I always use the level as a release, and my only FTF ever was when I tried to not use the level and manually pulled back on the slide (i dont think I pulled it all the way back..)

Any truth in this?
    It is called a Slide Stop Lever. The slide locks are the tabs that you are required to pull down on to take the slide off. I don't know about "wearing out the mechanism", but using an overhand "push pull" to perform a lock back reload is the best method. Do it with real force, don't ride the slide forward, and for heaven's sake, don't "slingshot" it.
    Jules
    Last edited by ar15jules; April 3rd, 2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: poor spelling

Technically it's a slide stop lever. I say do whatever works for you. If you are worried about it wearing out, buy a few of them for 10 bucks a pop and replace them when you feel they are getting worn.

Personally, I slingshot (edit: actually I don't, I use an overhand grasp). Only because that will work with just about any semi-auto pistol that I happen to pick up.
    Last edited by Rezin777; April 3rd, 2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    snip, don't "slingshot" it.
    Jules
    By slingshot, I refer to just pulling it back and letting it go. Not by using two fingers. I say grasp it however works for you, but I place the meat of my palm against one side of the slide and then wrap my fingers over to the opposite side.

I suppose by slingshot you mean, dont grasp the slide with your thumb and pointer finger only? I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezin777 View Post
    By slingshot, I refer to just pulling it back and letting it go. Not by using two fingers. I say grasp it however works for you, but I place the meat of my palm against one side of the slide and then wrap my fingers over to the opposite side.

I suppose by slingshot you mean, dont grasp the slide with your thumb and pointer finger only? I agree.
    Yep, you described an overhand grasp. Not only do I pull back with the overhand grip, but also push the frame forward with my dominant shooting hand. You can keep the gun on target the whole time, and by forcing your dominant hand away from you, it lines you back up into a good shooting position. Unless you are in the movies, then you push it into the air next to your face before turning a corner....LOL. Using a thumb and pointer finger is the "slingshot".
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Yep, you described an overhand grasp. Not only do I pull back with the overhand grip, but also push the frame forward with my dominant shooting hand. You can keep the gun on target the whole time, and by forcing your dominant hand away from you, it lines you back up into a good shooting position. Unless you are in the movies, then you push it into the air next to your face before turning a corner....LOL. Using a thumb and pointer finger is the "slingshot".
    Jules
    I see. From this point on I will use the proper terminology! Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

The part I guess can wear from being rotated against the slide under the recoil spring tension. After a while Id imagine you can round it off to where it doesnt hold as well as it did. The slide is not going to wear as much as the softer part so its not a big deal. Its a $10 part thats replaced in seconds. So do what you want. Its not a big deal.

(Allegheny County)

i have heard people theorize that using the slide stop lever as a slide release can round off the notch in the slide...and that is what causes the slide to be unintentionally released. (as the mating of the lever and the slide is then much less positive.)

i dunno whether that is a real concern or not. you could actually argue that it would be a bonus, though, as it would increase the likelihood of the slide closing on its own when you seat a new mag (which means you can get the gun shooting again that much sooner).

of course, that idea brings up its own debate...the naysayers will point out that you can't really be sure if the slide released before or after that mag was completely seated and, thus, cannot be completely sure the slide actually stripped a round off the mag and cambered it--thus, you might just get a "click" rather than a "bang" when you press the trigger.

there is also much debate about whether one should use a slide stop/release lever on any gun vs. racking the slide.

one side points out that using the slide stop/release lever is faster. the other claims using the slide stop/release lever is not as reliable. it is small and yyou are likely to miss it under stress.

then there is debate within each technique. for the pro-slide stop side, there is debate about whether to use the strong hand thumb or support and thumb to hit the lever. on the "rack the slide" side, there is debate about whether to use the israeli "pinch" (slingshot) technique or the over hand technique.

imho...

assuming you are right handed, if you are going to rack the slide, the overhand technique is superior. it allows you to rotate the gun slightly clockwise which causes the ejection port to face down. that way, if there is any issue with a spent casing being in there or whatever, gravity can help it to get out of there. using the pinch technique will lead to rotating the gun counterclockwise which will cause the ejection port to face up. thus, if there is a spent casing or whatever in there and it is not thrown clear, it will fall back into, rather than out of, the gun.

for clearing malfunctions, you definitely want to rotate the gun clockwise a bit. so, it seems to me you should use that same technique every time you rack the slide--so it becomes ingrained.

and the overhand technique can help you get a more positive grip on the slide.

however, for me, given how my hands fit on a glock, i actually favor hitting the slide stop lever to release the slide from slide lock. it is faster and i have never had any reliability issues with it.

but, for me, my strong hand thumb naturally hits the slide stop lever just like it would hit a safety on a 1911. thus, for me, hitting the slide stop lever with my strong thumb is very natural and very reliable. when i take classes where the instructor insists on my using the overhand technique, i have to really go out of my way to not hit the slide stop with my thumb before racking the slide. i don't see any point in intentionally not hitting the lever just so i can use some other technique. if i do miss it, that will register to me a malfunction and i will immediately proceed to tap/roll/rack anyway.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; April 4th, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
    F*S=k

My Glock 17 has over 10k rds through it and I don't have any issues with the slide release/lock/whatever you want to call it and It's the only way I drop the slide. I will say that the slide looks a little more rounded than a new Glock so mine might drop a little easier. It's still won't drop the slide by just seating a mag. Glock parts are super cheap so I really wouldn't worry about this. Most guys on youtube are tools anyway. I don't know anything about all the tactical stuff but it's way faster to hit the slide release than to reach over the top of the gun and rack the slide. The only way I do that is if I'm shooting my 1911 and my midget thumbs can't reach the slide release.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rezin777 View Post

I grasp the slide by my thumb and side of my forefinger. I'm not sure if that would be considered "slingshoting".
    Even if it was, as long as the slide moves forward by the stored energy of the spring (and not riding it forward), I don't see how it would matter which grip one uses to retract and release it. I think I've had one stovepipe (using this method) in the 22 years I've had Glocks.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!