Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default .32 Tomcat issue & range thoughts...

I was at the range this afternoon putting some rounds through this little pocket gun I got way back when. I had a white box of Winchester ball and it cycled through the first 45 round flawlessly. Then it took a fit and I got failure to go into battery & stovepipe action. I was like "wtf?", sure seemed lubed well enough, pretty sure I wasn't limp wristing the thing but then that could have been happening too (see trigger finger issue below). Then I noticed the grips had become super loose. I've read about certain types of semiautos that can be affected by loose grips, wondered if anyone had any insight. No, because I was an unprepared sap I didn't have a screwdriver in my range bag so I couldn't test it (though on the way home I remembered I had my Leatherman in the glove compartment...this getting old business sucks).

Overall it shot well, guess the target was at the 10' range. Problem is my hands are so big (or pistol is so small) that I have to pull the trigger with the pad on my forefinger because if I have my finger in all the way the trigger won't return properly. At the end of the day I don't really care much for it but guess I'll hang on to it. Still would rather have a ka-bar instead of a .32 at close range..

I have to put some red paint on that front sight and get to the eye doc for a new script~~my eyesight is really gone to hell (and I haven't had new glasses since 2006).

When I pulled out the 92FS it shot better than I could, as usual~~and the 3 white dots sure help a lot...punching holes where they should be at 50' is pretty easy with this one, but then it does fit my hand better than any other weapon I own ('cept maybe my ka-bar )
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Chester County)

Default Re: .32 Tomcat issue & range thoughts...

The only time I ever had a failure to fire with any of the 3 tomcats I have owned was when the frame cracked on my matte black one. Beretta upgraded me to an inox under warranty. What finish do you have? If it is matte black tip up the barrel and check on the frame above the trigger on the right side. Right where the frame is thinnest I had a crack, it was tough to see at first, like a hairline fracture.

The grips do come loose on these when shooting, but they do on a lot of my guns. It shouldn't affect the tomcat, but you are right it does affect some guns, I know on a Sig 226 is can affect the function. Maybe the loose grips made it so the gun was moving in your hand a bit so it wasn't locked up tight, almost like a limpwrist scenario.

If everything looks good, I would blame the ammo, I only use federal american eagle since it has always worked for me. I was shooting mine today too, very accurate and nice to shoot, I love the features on these. I have been thinking about the 22 version, the 21a bobcat, so I can shoot cheaper.

(Franklin County)

OK Martin I'll check the frame. I did get a new one shortly after they came out and it is the matte black...there has to be less than 300 rounds easy through the thing.

EDIT: It was March 98 when I got it.
    Last edited by Maquis; April 3rd, 2010 at 09:21 PM.
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Franklin County)

Question Re: .32 Tomcat issue/trigger bar

Check it~I've got this thing under a strong light. It's empty, I draw back the hammer, I pull the trigger, and the trigger does not return forward. I thought my finger was blocking it and no, something is not working, like a spring is broken. I tightened the grips and even removed them but it is like whatever is supposed to draw back the trigger bar isn't doing its job.

I looked for the crack, which would be in the area of the trigger bar but I don't see anything. What was the symptoms of a cracked frame?
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Franklin County)

I contacted Beretta USA via email~~I'll see what they say though I figure I'll end up taking it to a local gunsmith, but it would be kinda stupid to fix it (if it is other than frame crack) due to the high possibility of it ending up cracked. At least I didn't sell it off and screw someone else.
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Philadelphia County)

Pretty gun (I'm a fan of the .25 Bobcat myself) but the Tomcat has a buttload of issues... if not for that I don't think I'd want to carry anything else.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Berks County)

Check the safety, when the grip comes loose it can pop out of place. Found that out the hard way when I removed the grips for a thorough cleaning. It is a tiny little spring with a moveable pin as I remember. I have never had any stovepipe issues or ftf- have used any and all ammo. Mine is stainless, probably15 years old if I had to guess. Good luck.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by MGGUY View Post
    Check the safety, when the grip comes loose it can pop out of place. Found that out the hard way when I removed the grips for a thorough cleaning. It is a tiny little spring with a moveable pin as I remember. I have never had any stovepipe issues or ftf- have used any and all ammo. Mine is stainless, probably15 years old if I had to guess. Good luck.
    Safety is ok~~when I had the grips off one of those bars with the ring that fits into the spring/pin ass'y on the grip came out and I had to put it back together. Nothing changed with the trigger on that though I figured as much.

Inox/SS is the one to have no doubt.
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~