Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Experience with "big league" training programs?

I turn 30 in October and I think I can convince my wife to let me take a really nice training course as a gift. I know a lot of the local ones are exceptional, but going away and doing a Thunder Ranch type of program would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I am looking for Defensive/Combative Pistol and wouldn't mind an AK/Carbine segment as well. I have seen great reviews on Thunder Ranch, Sig Academy, InSight, Suarez International, etc. I anyone has any first hand or direct experence with a program and highly reccomends it I would love to hear about it. Thanks!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Experience with "big league" training programs?

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    I turn 30 in October and I think I can convince my wife to let me take a really nice training course as a gift. I know a lot of the local ones are exceptional, but going away and doing a Thunder Ranch type of program would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I am looking for Defensive/Combative Pistol and wouldn't mind an AK/Carbine segment as well. I have seen great reviews on Thunder Ranch, Sig Academy, InSight, Suarez International, etc. I anyone has any first hand or direct experence with a program and highly reccomends it I would love to hear about it. Thanks!
    A lot of people don't like them, but I've had some experience with Tactical Response and recommend them highly. The course that I took was extremely well put together and well taught, it was also very practical. It wasn't about how to shoot on a range, or how to shoot in a SWAT team, it was about how to shoot to save your life.

Edited to add: http://www.tacticalresponse.com

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Helter View Post
    A lot of people don't like them, but I've had some experience with Tactical Response and recommend them highly. The course that I took was extremely well put together and well taught, it was also very practical. It wasn't about how to shoot on a range, or how to shoot in a SWAT team, it was about how to shoot to save your life.

Edited to add: http://www.tacticalresponse.com

Pretty interesting. What class did you take, "Fighting Pistol"? Why do you think that some people don't like them?

(Allegheny County)

You can travel across the state and hit one of the FIRE institute classes.

http://www.fireinstitute.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Kb! Bob,

I have had a chance to train with and at numerous of these training programs, schools, instructors.

If money is not an issue, make the trip to Thunder Ranch. First off, Clint Smith is one of the top instructors, period. Second, the facility is first rate (and I went to the one in TX, the one in Oregon is only supposed to be better!).

I have trained at Gunsite (Orange), with Mr. Ayoob at LFI, with Mr. Suarez, with John Farnham, with Louis Awerbuck, with Phil Singlteton, with HK Int'l, with Dennis Tueller, with Bill Rogers, with Alan Brosnan at T.E.E.S., with the staff from Sigarms (though not at their facility), with Chuck Taylor from A.S.A.A, with Insights, with FAS, and with many more....

If money is not an issue, make the trip to Thunder Ranch, you will not regret it.

Good luck with your choice, lots of really good instructors/schools to choose from.

Otto
    Last edited by Orive 8; April 4th, 2010 at 12:12 PM.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Bucks County)

Pretty interesting. What class did you take, "Fighting Pistol"? Why do you think that some people don't like them?
    Some people dislike James Yeager, their CEO, and so by association dislike the training company.

(York County)

Last November a friend invited me and 20-some other friends out to Front Sight for a free 4 day defensive handgun course.

This was my first formal training and was what motivated me to seriously take up practical handgun shooting which I now practice with a group weekly.

I was somewhat skeptical at first since Dr. Piazza's marketing and website seem to have lots of hype and a time-share/snake oil salesman feel about them. However, the facilities, cadre, and course of instruction were first rate from everything I experianced. The same would be echoed by the rest of my group as well, many of whom had much more previous experiance than I.

Although I am still not a fan of their pricing stucture (high list prices, always runnning this special or that one, similar to the furniture store that's been going out of business for the last 15 years), I would love to go back when time and finaces allow. Just about all in our group (most of use were from various parts thoughout the east cost) would have purchased a lifetime membership if they had a facility located somewhere on the east coat that woudl be a bit more accesable and less costly to get to several times a year. They say they do have plans for an east cost location in the next several years.

I also plan to attend some courses at with other trainers as well. Next will likely be RangeMaster and Insights since they periodically offer courses at my local club.

(Delaware County)

Yeah, I took fighting pistol mobile, in NJ (doesn't look like they're making it to NJ this year).
    As someone else said, some people don't like Yeager. Also, there was an incident last year, where video was taken of an instructor photographing students from between two targets during a live fire drill. The four primary safety rules were followed, but many feel that because this violated the standard 180 degree range rule, it was reckless.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    You can travel across the state and hit one of the FIRE institute classes.

http://www.fireinstitute.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Kb! Bob,

I have had a chance to train with and at numerous of these training programs, schools, instructors.

If money is not an issue, make the trip to Thunder Ranch. First off, Clint Smith is one of the top instructors, period. Second, the facility is first rate (and I went to the one in TX, the one in Oregon is only supposed to be better!).

I have trained at Gunsite (Orange), with Mr. Ayoob at LFI, with Mr. Suarez, with John Farnham, with Louis Awerbuck, with Phil Singlteton, with HK Int'l, with Dennis Tueller, with Bill Rogers, with Alan Brosnan at T.E.E.S., with the staff from Sigarms (though not at their facility), with Chuck Taylor from A.S.A.A, with Insights, with FAS, and with many more....

If money is not an issue, make the trip to Thunder Ranch, you will not regret it.

Good luck with your choice, lots of really good instructors/schools to choose from.

Otto
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncitis View Post
    Last November a friend invited me and 20-some other friends out to Front Sight for a free 4 day defensive handgun course.

This was my first formal training and was what motivated me to seriously take up practical handgun shooting which I now practice with a group weekly.

I was somewhat skeptical at first since Dr. Piazza's marketing and website seem to have lots of hype and a time-share/snake oil salesman feel about them. However, the facilities, cadre, and course of instruction were first rate from everything I experianced. The same would be echoed by the rest of my group as well, many of whom had much more previous experiance than I.

Although I am still not a fan of their pricing stucture (high list prices, always runnning this special or that one, similar to the furniture store that's been going out of business for the last 15 years), I would love to go back when time and finaces allow. Just about all in our group (most of use were from various parts thoughout the east cost) would have purchased a lifetime membership if they had a facility located somewhere on the east coat that woudl be a bit more accesable and less costly to get to several times a year. They say they do have plans for an east cost location in the next several years.

I also plan to attend some courses at with other trainers as well. Next will likely be RangeMaster and Insights since they periodically offer courses at my local club.

Thank for all the opinions so far! Checking into The FIRE Instituteis next on my list. I would really like to keep my dollars in PA if it is an option. I guess, beyond a "name", I am looking for top-notch facilities. Specifically, plenty of room to "move and shoot". In my little corner of the state that is a hard thing to come by.

(Allegheny County)

Thank for all the opinions so far! Checking into The FIRE Instituteis next on my list. I would really like to keep my dollars in PA if it is an option. I guess, beyond a "name", I am looking for top-notch facilities. Specifically, plenty of room to "move and shoot". In my little corner of the state that is a hard thing to come by.
    FIRE brings in some of the top instructors in the country
    Giles Stock
    Randy Cain
    Awerbuck
    Larry Vickers

Id love to take a trip to TR sometime for the experiance, but have no doubt you can find high quality training closer to home without the expense of travel and taking a week off work.

If you havent had any prior formal training I would suggest you focus on getting a good foundation of the fundamentals from someone solid.

Youll see a lot of classes listed here as well:
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...rums/forum.php

from your side of the state a trip to NC here and there is not too far either. I recently attended a class with Ken Hackathorn down there and it was well worth the trip.

If you want to travel over here in May I will be taking Carbine I with Pete, perhaps you could then follow that up with Handgun 101 with Randy Cain and have a solid grounding in the basics with both.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast