Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Just got a New AR15 What kinda prep do I need to do?

Hi Guys I just bought an new AR15. I wondering what things need to be done to it prior to shooting it for the first time? It seems to be well oiled and ready to go. My 2 other guns were bought used so I have no exp with a new gun.

Do the factories usualy test fire Guns prior to shipping them? I bought a Doublestar flat top with a 16in.

Its my understanding I should use brass only for the first few hundred rounds?

Thanks for your time, God bless.

Man Im excited, I just need it to stop raining now!

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Just got a New AR15 What kinda prep do I need to do?

I would clean it and make sure that there isn't anything that would make not fire. As for using brass for the first few hundred rounds maybe but when I got my Stag new I used Brown bear (Wolf) just to make sure that it would work with anything that I would feed it. I discovered that I need to do a upgrade on my extractor which solved an extraction problem that came up. Since that time I've added a "H" buffer and now it's 100% with anything that I feed it.

(Philadelphia County)

Make sure nothing is obstructing the barrel and fire away with any ammo you have or can afford. Brass vs. steel MAY have very little if any (all-so-far-unproven) impact on you extractor. I feed my 4 ARs with mostly Wolf steel case since their birth and plenty of other people do too.

Al

(Jefferson County)

Lots of people shoot nothing but Wolf out of their ARs just because it's the most affordable way to go for manufactured ammo. I've never seen a gun malfunction with Wolf personally.

The only prep I do for new guns is to make sure they are oiled to my satisfaction. I have yet to encounter a gun I bought new that was not well oiled and ready to shoot right out of the box--that's not to say I would stop checking them though.

(Allegheny County)

I have seen an extractor get so gunked up with that wolf lacquer coated ammo that it started breaking the rim of the cases and not allowing it to eject.

I followed another members advice on breaking in a new AR and he had me use brass cased ammo and shoot 30 rounds and swab the barrel after each round, then shoot 40 rounds and swab after every 5 rounds, then shoot 30 rounds and swab after every 10 rounds. I took everything apart, cleaned it all out, lubed it up and haven't had a problem shooting anything.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian737 View Post
    Man Im excited, I just need it to stop raining now!
    oh, and daddy always told me "2 things melt in rain, sugar and shite and you don't smell sweet"...

Well I made it out today. Only rained 30% of the time and for the portland area thats pretty darn good.

We shot 120 rounds without a hitch. (Silky smooth)The sight surprised me though, seems like a bit of a learing curve. I was sighting it in and I had great groups to the left by 2 inches I made a few more adj and same thing. I let my son try it and he was 3 inches to the Right; both of us had tight but off groups. Thats when I decided I need to learn how to shot with that sight better. Im more used to the SKS and mosin sights, but Im sure Ill get there.

Well if anyone has after 1st day of shooting hints for me please drop a line. I guess Ill be breaking it down and clean and lube it up for next time.

Im greatfull for all the info guys. Have a Great Easter.
    John

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    I followed another members advice on breaking in a new AR and he had me use brass cased ammo and shoot 30 rounds and swab the barrel after each round, then shoot 40 rounds and swab after every 5 rounds, then shoot 30 rounds and swab after every 10 rounds. I took everything apart, cleaned it all out, lubed it up and haven't had a problem shooting anything.
    seems a bit excessive......reminds me of people that buy Hummers and put fancy wheels on them and never get them dirty haha

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunMan21 View Post
    seems a bit excessive......reminds me of people that buy Hummers and put fancy wheels on them and never get them dirty haha
    you talking about my hummer???

well, it was my first AR and that way was suggested and confirmed by some other people. i have never had a problem with it, never failed to feed/eject and has shot everything i have put into it so far. i dont know if it is excessive or not, but it worked and i have no complaints.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian737 View Post
    Well I made it out today. Only rained 30% of the time and for the portland area thats pretty darn good.

We shot 120 rounds without a hitch. (Silky smooth)The sight surprised me though, seems like a bit of a learing curve. I was sighting it in and I had great groups to the left by 2 inches I made a few more adj and same thing. I let my son try it and he was 3 inches to the Right; both of us had tight but off groups. Thats when I decided I need to learn how to shot with that sight better. Im more used to the SKS and mosin sights, but Im sure Ill get there.

Well if anyone has after 1st day of shooting hints for me please drop a line. I guess Ill be breaking it down and clean and lube it up for next time.

Im greatfull for all the info guys. Have a Great Easter.
    John
    i know this is a handgun target/chart, but could the OP use this for rifle too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast