Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Any .308 bolt-action uppers for AR-15 lower?

I got to wondering. . . has anyone done a bolt-action .308 upper for an AR-15 yet? I've seen semi-auto uppers for just about anything that will fit in the AR-15 magwell, bolt-action uppers in .338 Lapua up to .50BMG, and even pellet-gun and crossbow uppers. Seems odd that .308Win/7.62NATO would be left out, even if there are the AR-10s.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Default Re: Any .308 bolt-action uppers for AR-15 lower?

I wondered about them too and I have looked them, but nothing yet.

I have also looked for something kind backwards from that. How about a 5.56 upper for a AR-10 lower??

Before you laugh too much, hear me out. I know that it would be heavier and bulkier and people would just say buy a AR-15, but if you can have a 9mm magazine block and upper for a AR-15. I think someone could build an 5.56 magazine block and upper for a AR-10.

I know I have some wacky ideas sometime, and I would probably be the only one to buy it, so it will never see the light of day.
    No man’s life, liberty, or properties are safe while the legislature is in session.

(Allegheny County)

.308 won't fit in the magwell. So it would have to be a single shot manual feed bolt action upper.

It's going to cost at least $500 to make and sell.

For the same amount of money you could buy a Savage in .308 with an accutrigger and internal magazine.

I don't see the point - and it's probably some of the reasons you don't see them floating around.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I don't see the point - and it's probably some of the reasons you don't see them floating around.
    I had a feeling that was coming.

If you already had a lower with a good trigger, and a Magpul PRS or an Ironstone adjustable stock, it would make some sense. I think so, anyway.

Retail price for a Savage 12 Palma, with adjustable stock, is a little over $1800. Savage 10 BAS-K with AR-15 pistol grip and stock is a little over $1900. The 10 BAT/S-K is over $2K. The BA... models are magazine fed, but the target rifles are single shot.

(Philadelphia County)

For the same amount of money you could buy a Savage in .308 with an accutrigger and internal magazine.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
    AR accessories - Barbie for men

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    I had a feeling that was coming.

If you already had a lower with a good trigger, and a Magpul PRS or an Ironstone adjustable stock, it would make some sense. I think so, anyway.

Retail price for a Savage 12 Palma, with adjustable stock, is a little over $1800. Savage 10 BAS-K with AR-15 pistol grip and stock is a little over $1900. The 10 BAT/S-K is over $2K. The BA... models are magazine fed, but the target rifles are single shot.
    I can see how if you had an expensive trigger, adjustable stock, etc. it might be alright. I think that the it doesn't apply to the majority of AR-15 owners; which when they're trying to make a new product need to see how many units they can sell. For the general market, most people would rather just go buy a seperate bolt action rifle, that way they don't have to hassle with taking off the lower and really only having 1 firearm functional at a time. The other way, you have 2 functional firearms at a time.

Most of the peopl who are buying some of the high end Savage models you list have been sipping some kool-aid. Most people that will truly utilize (not just want) a "sniper rifle" or something that resembles a tactical rifle who know what they're doing, will build something that is exactly how they want it. They end up with a MUCH better custom barrel, some other stock they want, etc. There's also plenty of tactical shooters that don't like where the "M4" or pistol grip adjustable stocks like the BAS or BASK put the trigger. Most of us like to pull the trigger with the pad of the index finger, NOT the joint. The pistol grips place the trigger a little far back towards the thumb. This means it's difficult to pull the trigger straight back with the pad, in order to use the pad, you usually have to have a bit of an angle. It's not a good thing for repeatability and consistency. Notice in these pictures the distance of where the grip and the distance to the trigger is; one is the BAS/T and the other is a McMillan stock.

So while those rifles may cost $2,000 or close to it, someone in the know can build a HECK of a Savage for 2k. You can have a McMillan stock with a custom barrel that is magazine fed for less than $2,000. So yes, I can how some people may like something like a bolt action .308 upper for an AR-15, but when you take in the drawbacks of the finger position, single feed only, etc, I think lots of people would rather just get a seperate bolt action rifle. If they want a bit more height on the comb, all they have to do is buy an eagle cheekpiece, and length of pull is adjusted for easily enough. I know I don't like to single feed any rifle, it gets old after a while. Unless you practice like the BR guys, and have open left port, right eject, etc. it's just not practical for most people.

(Allegheny County)

You're talking big $ Savage sillyness. I'm talking $700 Savage out of the box polymer stocked - accutrigger - internal magazine - shoots better than 95% of the people on the planet could ever shoot the damn thing right out of the box.

You'd want some super match grade single shot .308 upper for an AR15? And you want that pillar of shooting excellence mounted on top of jiggly ass push pins...

Precision stock or not sir, the AR15 is not a ridgid chassis to mount such a barrel too. In fact the whole thing is a rattling mess compared to ANY rifle used for accurate shooting. So no matter what you'd drop on top of it - you still aren't going to out shoot the basic Savage I suggested without reworking the halves of the gun into a "solid" rendering the usefulness of a swappable upper void.

I'm not crapping on your idea - just to crap on your idea. I just think that there are some good reasons why it's not such a hot ticket. Things besides the commercial / financial aspects of it - which you already stated. They already make an AR-10. Why would you want to put a bolt action upper on an AR-15?

Maybe*- they could make a bolt action upper FOR an AR-10. And have it still be magazine fed for people who cannot hunt with semi's but want to use "their rifle". This would marry two ideas which are not so in opposition to one another.

(Delaware County)

You're talking big $ Savage sillyness. I'm talking $700 Savage out of the box polymer stocked - accutrigger - internal magazine - shoots better than 95% of the people on the planet could ever shoot the damn thing right out of the box.
    The $700 models all seem to have the curved pistol grip stocks, which are uncomfortable. The stocks are also likely to have a length of pull of 13.5", or maybe less, which is too small for me. Add a decent aftermarket stock, and I'm in $950 or more for the package, and I have to do an epoxy and/or pillar bedding job probably.

I've got AR lowers that fit me properly, and are comfortable to hold and shoot.

I'm not going to deny that such an upper may not sell like hotcakes, but it's not hardly as hare-brained as the crossbow upper.

Maybe I oughta just forget the whole thing, and reread your signature line a couple more times.
    Last edited by Suburban; April 4th, 2010 at 02:31 AM.

(Allegheny County)

I'm just debating it? Not fighting with you?