Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Default Re: LTCF in Northampton County

Quote Originally Posted by IUOE_Mike View Post
    I just moved to Bangor from FL and have a FL CWL. Does already having a CWL make the process any faster? I know I can carry with my FL CWL and I have been since I got here. But I would like to obtain a PA LTCF since I will be getting a PA DL in the next week or so. Thanks for any input.

-Mike
    Question # 40 on the PA LTCF application does ask if you have another state's permit/license...and if so to attach a copy, but I don't think it matters much to a PA sheriff when applying for a LTCF...as long as you pass the PICS background check

Another state's permit does show them right off the bat that you're a "good guy" I guess

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock19_NoStovePipe View Post
    I know this topic has been covered, but I recently applied for my LTCF on March 25th 2010. I was wondering when the earliest I would hear anything back and if they usually call references. Also, what kinds of questions they would ask my references. I have nothing on my record except for a traffic violation in 2005. If I could get responses to this thread it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    My cousin got his in December, I think that it only took two weeks. They didn't call his references.

When I got mine in 2008 they said that I had to put my Social Security number on it or they couldn't enter it into the computer. Thanks to this forum I learned that was a violation of the 1974 Privacy Act. Did they make you put yours on there?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsor39 View Post
    I applied for mine on 15 March.

They did call my work to verify employment. Since they have my direct line, I had to hand the phone off.

Did you get your renewal letter 60 days in advance? Mine was date 10 March and received 12 March.

The race is on, who get their LTCF first.
    Well, it's hard to imagine you not receiving yours first, being that it's a renewal and you've got a 10 day lead on Glock19_NoStovePipe.

I, however, put in for my first ltcf during the final minutes of march 23 so it really counts as march 24. From the timespan mentioned in other posts around here, I'll be looking for it between one and two weeks from today.

For what it's worth, the lady behind the counter pointed out that I had left the employer slot blank. Being that I just managed to walk in her door about 60 seconds before closing and she was being nice enough to extend her day to process me, I just filled it in even though I don't think a boss has a rightful need to know. There's just too much office politics backstabbing opportunity there and... On second thought I won't provide an example on a public forum, heh. She - the sheriff's deputy at the desk - also said 45 to 60 days for a response, so I'll be pleased if it happens earlier. Shall issue doesn't mean it must be Go Speed Racer, and I'd rather have some time spent on background than an irresponsible person get shuttled through in 20 minutes.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayG23 View Post
    On second thought I won't provide an example on a public forum, heh. She - the sheriff's deputy at the desk - also said 45 to 60 days for a response, so I'll be pleased if it happens earlier. Shall issue doesn't mean it must be Go Speed Racer, and I'd rather have some time spent on background than an irresponsible person get shuttled through in 20 minutes.
    I wouldn't just "be pleased" if it took under 45 days, considering they are only supposed to take, at maximum, 45 days. If it reached day 46 I'd be calling to confirm that the license hadn't been processed, and then filing appeals paperwork for a de facto denial.

As long as the sheriff's office is complying with the law I don't care if they take 20 minutes or 45 days to process my application.

From 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses:

(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license.

(Lehigh County)

Submitted my permit application on March 25th as well. I just hope it doesn't take the full 45 days because I strongly dislike waiting for things. haha

Mine took exactly a 28days, but this was in late 2007

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    I wouldn't just "be pleased" if it took under 45 days, considering they are only supposed to take, at maximum, 45 days. If it reached day 46 I'd be calling to confirm that the license hadn't been processed, and then filing appeals paperwork for a de facto denial.
    So the investigation takes 45 days maximum. That doesn't mean the entire process is limited to that 45 days.

Off the top of my head...
    1) Recording the reason for denial in sheriff paperwork.
    2) Creating the denial letter from a form letter by adding personalized individual details.
    3) Sending that letter interoffice to outgoing mail
    4) up to one full day for that letter to be picked up by mail carrier.
    5) Transportation through the USPS. Unless extremely local, such as same-depot or single-hop distance, this will be two days alone.
    6) Letter gets to your house.

Or, in the case of an approval, substitute appropriately for numbers 1, 2 and 3.

Looks like you just popped off half-cocked there.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayG23 View Post
    So the investigation takes 45 days maximum. That doesn't mean the entire process is limited to that 45 days.
    Here's a tip, maybe you should actually read the statute governing licenses. It is clear from this post, and your post in my thread here http://forum.pafoa.org/1155946-post-52.html that you have not read it, or that you definitely do not understand it.

g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application.
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...6109/licenses/

There's a reason I said "If it reached day 46 I'd be calling to confirm that the license hadn't been processed, and then filing appeals paperwork for a de facto denial." If the license hadn't been issued, or refused, by day 46, then the issuing authority is in clear violation of the law. If the license, or denial letter, is in the mail, or awaiting pickup, by then there is no issue. By my reading of the law, points #4,5,&6 would not have to be done by the 45 days, but points 1-3 certainly would be.
    Last edited by IronSight; April 5th, 2010 at 03:18 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    Here's a tip, maybe you should actually read the statute governing licenses. It is clear from this post, and your post in my thread here http://forum.pafoa.org/1155946-post-52.html that you have not read it, or that you definitely do not understand it.

g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application.
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...6109/licenses/

There's a reason I said "If it reached day 46 I'd be calling to confirm that the license hadn't been processed, and then filing appeals paperwork for a de facto denial." If the license hadn't been issued, or refused, by day 46, then the issuing authority is in clear violation of the law. If the license, or denial letter, is in the mail, or awaiting pickup, by then there is no issue. By my reading of the law, points #4,5,&6 would not have to be done by the 45 days, but points 1-3 certainly would be.
    I'm trusting that you've copied the relevant portion in good faith.

However, several times now you've completely misunderstood that I was pointing out a time period for a complete response to arrive in my mailbox, not merely the 45 day span that is only a partial chunk of the process.

I said at the start she said 45 to 60 for a response. Not for an investigation and decision, but for that completed response to make it's way from the sheriff's outgoing paperwork through the chain of clerks and finally through the mail to me. And it flew over your head while you jumped to the wrong conclusion that I was rolling over inappropriately.

Then I was even more particular that I was taking the entire process that happens after the sheriff give issuance by numbering the time chewing steps that happen after the sheriff says "Issue LTCF". And it still flew past you while you continued to think I was being just another sheeple.

This time I'm going to say flat out, 45 days allotted by law for the decision and 15 days of response elbow room for the clerks to get the paperwork accurate and logged and stamped and mailed and arrival. If the issuance is done timely enough that it gets to me before the 45 day mark, even with the clerks and the usps eating up days of papertrail and transportation, then I will be pleased because that means it left the sheriff's office much earlier than it could have been delayed.

This is the same concept involved as when we see "Allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery", except instead of being told of a delivery delay for some plinking ammo or new sights, it is a delivery delay for the card. Either way, there's a reasonable delivery delay and it's not the fault of the sheriff's office if they send something out and that delay brings the card to you on day 48.

I find it to be quite polite to allow a reasonable number of days after the legal deadline for the results to travel the clerk pipeline before I call to inquire. Considering my location in relation to the sheriff's office that would be 4 or 5 days, depending on weekends and holidays. Tackling them over the phone with any sort of attitude, even one of questioning about lawful timeliness, can easily seem unmannerly and will not add to a positive general office view of ltcf-applicants. Basically, jump on them at the drop of a hat and the rude behaviour reflects on others, especially if most ltcf folks act the same way. I was taught to make the effort to leave a good impression.
    Last edited by JayG23; April 5th, 2010 at 05:24 PM.

(Northampton County)

12 days….I am getting antsy, but being very patient. Thanks for all of the great information.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast