Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Colt Government Pocketlite .380 pricing question

My grandfather wants to sell his basically new-in-box Pocketlite and I cannot find any current information (either here or on the auction sites) about a starting price... Does anyone know what these would run nowadays?

It's had probably half a box put through it, there are NO marks inside or out, it's never even been in a holster, and the magazines both look brand new. He's obviously got the box and paperwork in order.

I'd love to shoot the cute little thing but I don't want to detract from it's value. I've read good things about it and it looks like a fun gun. I'll snap a few pictures the next time I'm at his house and update this.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Default Re: Colt Government Pocketlite .380 pricing question

Try this as a starting point:
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?T=PocketLite

Rick

Pafan,

Well of course it's worth as much as someone is willing to pay, with that said I think Colt made their more recent .380's and marketed them as the Mustang and the Pony I think it was called. The Mustang was basically the same as the 1911 full size .45 with a few minor differences - I the think the Pony was essentially the same, but was a double action instead of single.

I own a Mustang plus II and can say it is a sweet piece, Back when I bought mine I think I paid $200, But that was when they were still making them, I've heard nowadays they command upwards of the $700 range....Crazy huh?

Post some pics when you get a chance and we can go from there, Good Luck

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Warren County)

RLS - Thanks. That was actually the last place I looked, and when I saw "Mustang" and "Pony" I stupidly thought I wouldn't find the Gov't model like on the other websites, so I didn't scroll down anymore.

TJB - I'll post some pics tonight. Of course the gun isn't worth anything more than what somebody will pay, but my grandfather's initial "I won't go lower than" price seemed really, really low to me. The two models on GunsAmerica are a good starting point but there's a big difference between $650 and $900.

(Luzerne County)

The gun is a used gun if it has had one round or a thousand rounds through it. So if you want to shoot it shoot it. It will not change its value. Unless of course you break it.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Warren County)

normanvin - Understood, though he takes pride in the fact that the gun looks like it just came from the factory.

If it was mine I wouldn't be able to show any restraint. It looks like a perfect conceal piece.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by pafan View Post
    normanvin - Understood, though he takes pride in the fact that the gun looks like it just came from the factory.

If it was mine I wouldn't be able to show any restraint. It looks like a perfect conceal piece.
    I have a mustang. It does disappear in the pocket.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Pafan,

I looked at that link - It appears that the Pony is worth more, but I can't be certain from a gun listing online. If I could find my Gun Blue book I'd look them up for you, but atlast it appears to be lost in the move.

The Sig P238 comes pretty close to what the Mustang was and I think those are going between $450 -$550 New - It's an alternative if you are looking to own one.

I'm not sure what your Gramps is thinking, But if I were you, I would try to have him sell it to you or gift/will it to you. They really are great guns.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Lackawanna County)

ahhh, the good ole govt .380 They are Excellent small guns with the govt being the largest of the colt .380's These guns have nearly tripled in price since 1999-2000. At that time they were about $300 now they can go for anywhere from $500-$900 for a well preserved s/s version in LNIB condition. Very hard to find and when you do even tougher to find a deal on one. Good Luck with it. I currently own 3 colt 380's or I would make you an offer. Of course if you just want to dump it for $300 i will drive anywhere in the state today to pick it up lol.

(Warren County)

TJB - I have no need for the gun. What I want, though, is an altogether different story...

This isn't a family heirloom by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm ok with him selling it. He's already willed me a few handguns & long guns, so I've been taken care of as far as that goes. I'm only stepping in to help sell it because his initial asking price (to me, in confidence) seemed way off and I thought we would be better off checking before he sold it.

As far as buying something like this for me, when I want to conceal a smaller weapon I reach for my snub .357... I'm a bigger guy, so I can easily carry something with a slightly larger grip. Plus, I don't need to start reloading another caliber.

fastfive0 - When you find somebody who will sell you one of these for $300, please send them my way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast