Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Advice on target .22's for Bullseye

I'm working on my bullseye shooting skills. Currently I shoot between 2,450 and 2,500. I've started shooting more often, now 2 - 3 times a week, so I'm putting a lot more rounds through my .22's. I have a Colt Match, and a High Standard Trophy. I'm thinking about picking up a .22 purely for practice to save abuse on the others.

The only .22's I've ever shot have been these (my father's competition pistols) so if I pick up a S&W 22, or a Ruger Mark III Huntsman will I be happy with them? I realise I'm spoiled with what I have but I don't want to drop a few hundred bucks on something I won't like. The alternative is I spring for S&W 41. And if I shoot that exclusively for 10 years or so I might catch it's round count up to the Colt. But the cost is prohibitive.

Yes I know, nice problem to have, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Advice on target .22's for Bullseye

Have you considered trying a rifle to shoot with. I picked my Remington 597 up for $180 with a decent scope from dicks and had nothing but fun with it. I shoot it indoors at 15 yards with the scope on 3x and then turn it up to 9x on a 50 yard outdoor range. I've been able to achieve 1in or so groups at 50 yards. Its pretty fun not sure if its your cup of tea or not.

(Montgomery County)

This would be specifically for practicing bullseye shooting. .22 rifles are great fun especially now that the weather has turned nice.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

You can shoot the HS Trophy forever, and you can not do it any harm. If yours likes "standard velocity" like mine do, that's a plus. They are built to do this over and over, for years and years. Yes, you will see a print on the breechface, but that is not significant to the operation or accuracy.

Just continue with proper cleaning and lube practices. As you already know, dry-firing one of these is not a good thing. Mind the crown when cleaning - clean from the breech. Good to go.

There are those of us who swear that anything that is NOT a High Standard is a great step DOWN. Why shoot anything less, when you have the best there is already?

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

I have an IZH-35M which I really like. Trigger is adjustable for pull weight, take up, overtravel, and position. Sear engagement is also adjustable.

They can be hard to find but they are out there on the used market. Reportedly, there is a newer version of the pistol to be released. It should also be a bargain bullseye gun.

(Susquehanna County)

Stick with your Colt & your High Standard and standard velocity ammo for practice and target grade for matches (yeah $75 per box Lapua Midas right). You'll be much happier.

I have a circa 1970 High Standard Military Tournament that was the very first pistol I bought, it's round count is well into the hundreds of thousands. Give them the maintenance they deserve and don't try stuffing them with high or hyper velocity junk and it will last more than your lifetime.

Don't bother with the S&W P22 or its' Walther counterpart. Save your money and when you get to where you're breaking into High Master buy a Hammerli SP-20.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Stick with your Colt & your High Standard and standard velocity ammo for practice and target grade for matches (yeah $75 per box Lapua Midas right). You'll be much happier.

I have a circa 1970 High Standard Military Tournament that was the very first pistol I bought, it's round count is well into the hundreds of thousands. Give them the maintenance they deserve and don't try stuffing them with high or hyper velocity junk and it will last more than your lifetime.

Don't bother with the S&W P22 or its' Walther counterpart. Save your money and when you get to where you're breaking into High Master buy a Hammerli SP-20.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, High Master....the stuff dreams are made of for us new to Bullseye.
    Jules

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for advice. I'll stick with what I've got. I've always kept the loads to standard and lead. Clean after every shoot and oil. The HS is a beauty, but I actually shoot better with the colt.

When I have a grand to burn I still may get a S&W 41 (I love smtihs).

Hmmm High Master, might have to step up the practices a time or two more a week....lol

(Allegheny County)

It's been my observation that most .22s are capable of far better accuracy than we are.

I know a fellow who shoots High Master with a Ruger Mk II that's had a trigger job. Seriously. His girl friend gave him a Hammerli but he like his Ruger better so he gave the Hammerli to a friend. Yes, gave. I'm sure the girl friend had some interesting words about that.

I used to shoot a Ruger Mk II. I switched my grips to some custom grips from Randall Fung and my scores jumped quite a bit. Grips do make a difference, for most human beings. The guy mentioned above with the Ruger uses the wooden Ruger grips with the thumbrest. The guy is a machine.

If I hadn't bought the IZH-35M, I would have had a trigger job done on my Ruger.

Dry firing will help your scores. Get a bunch of plastic dummy's to protect your firing pins. If you're still using the stock grips, think about getting some ergo grips.