Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30.06 rifle

(Northampton County)

Default 30.06 rifle

My 13 year old son inherited his grandfathers rifle, he really wants to shoot it but I think it may hurt him. He has fired my ak and ar but I know they don't pack near the same punch. Any thoughts on this?

(Berks County)

Default Re: 30.06 rifle

You can reload the 30-06 to be pretty tame, maybe that's the route to take? Lead sleds also take a good bit of the punch out of recoiling guns.

(Lancaster County)

The ability of any person to handle the recoil of a firearm is based on a number of factors, including: experience handling firearms, body mass, and phsyical stature to name a few. If you are questioning whether your son is able to fire a .30-06, then I would assume you believe he is lacking one of these factors. You could give him an aid in that case, either a lead-sled, or sandbags positioned to reduce the felt recoil. Use your best judgement, and realize that with the way teenagers grow and adjust, if he isn't ready now, he may be very soon.

(Chester County)

There's only one way to find out. With proper guidance from you about keeping it snug against his shoulder, but not pressing hard and a maintaining good stance on a firm, flat surface that keeps his center of mass over his hips should minimize the impact of the recoil.

Have him wear high quality ear protection so the sound doesn't scare him, then demonstrate a proper stance by shooting it yourself first. 90% of the problem for shooters learning to handle high power rifles is that they can be so loud they tense up before pulling the trigger. If he knows what to expect when it goes boom, that's one less thing on his mind.

My first rifle shot came from a .300 savage, at 16. It didn't hurt until the next day, but it had a lot more kick than the 30.06 I taught my son to shoot at 14.

Start him out on some "managed recoil" ammo. Transition to normal power ammo as you see fit. The managed recoil ammo is still capable of cleanly taking a deer it just has some limitations. A few different manufacturers have a reduced recoil 30-06 load.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/353...oint-box-of-20

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/396...tail-box-of-20

Another option would be the 30-06 Accelerator. They can be hard to find and expensive but have light recoil. They fire a 55gr .223 bullet @ 4000fps. I have some and they shoot soft. Honestly I think you will find the managed recoil rounds will do fine and are cheaper than the accelerators. Should be a little bit more recoil than a 7.62x39.
    Last edited by dkf; July 25th, 2013 at 10:37 PM.

(Monroe County)

its alot of gun for someone younger however it isn't that bad. maybe a rubber recoil pad

(Lackawanna County)

Remington makes low-recoil .30-06 loads, maybe that combined with a slip-on recoil pad might help.
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

You're thinking too much. Let him try. He'll tell you if it's too much gun for him.

(Monroe County)

My kid shoots all kinds of high recoil calibers and he just hit 100 lbs. Every one's different, I have a few friends that flinch shooting a 223!
    If it's not a collectable gun, I suggest porting it and / or cutting the stock and mounting a recoil pad if it's to much for him now.
    Remember, felt recoil will be more when shooting from a bench compared to standing.
    Good luck!!

(Washington County)

If it's scoped make sure that he doesn't have to creep up on the scope to get the proper eye relief. I think getting hit in the eye/face with the scope may turn him off more than the recoil.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast