Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: U.S. Model 1895 Springfield Armory????

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperfreak View Post
    Well, as to prior comments, it's more than likely a Krag, but it's definitely a long rifle or a cut-down long rifle, likely a model 1892, as the first Krag carbines weren't officially produced until 1896.
    Sniperfreak, you are wrong! There is a Springfield Krag saddle ring carbine with the receiver dated 1895. Too many people believe the Krag carbine wasn't launched until 1896. There were 2 model 1892 carbines and ~1100 model 1895 carbines. I bought mine (#26930) from a FFL who also refused to believe it was factory original. I tried to explain what it was and he kept saying "It's a piece gun, they didn't make carbines until 1896". I eventually stopped trying to educate him and bought it for $900.
    Here is one for sale right now...
    http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitari...2_item_012.htm
    Last edited by Squaregrouper; June 10th, 2011 at 08:05 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Squaregrouper View Post
    Sniperfreak, you are wrong! There is a Springfield Krag saddle ring carbine with the receiver dated 1895. Too many people believe the Krag carbine wasn't launched until 1896. There were 2 model 1892 carbines and ~1100 model 1895 carbines. I bought mine (#26930) from a FFL who also refused to believe it was factory original. I tried to explain what it was and he kept saying "It's a piece gun, they didn't make carbines until 1896". I eventually stopped trying to educate him and bought it for $900.
    Here is one for sale right now...
    http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitari...2_item_012.htm

Note I said "officially"? I know there were prototypes produced in 1894 (the prototype 1892 carbines), and I also knew of an experimental carbine being produced late in 1895, but given the proliferation of Krag long rifles cut down to carbine lenght by civilian owners and the extreme rarity of the pre-1896 carbines, I just had strong doubts that the rifle in question is such a piece.

The 1895 carbine is, in essence, identical to the 1896 carbine. What needs to be confirmed are the following:
    1- barrel is exactly 22" with proper front sight
    2- rear sight is graduated to 2000yds and marked with a "c"
    3- handguard is short with a sight protector at the front
    4- saddle ring present
    5- no sling swivels
    6- The barrel band/sight protector is held in place by a spring in the stock, not a screw as on a sling swivel.

A significant number of Krags with receivers dated 1895 are true carbines. The carbine which is most often faked is an 1898.

(Cambria County)

I have an 1896, it's by far one of my favorite rifles!!! My pap gave it to me for my first hunting trip and I've used it successfully every year since! It's dead-on accurate every time I use it, and the last time I adjusted the sights was 10 years ago

Bringing a post back from the dead...
    Has it been confirmed whether this is a true carbine based upon my "look for these telltale signs" posted above???
    I'll post pics of my 1895 variant of a '96 Krag Carbine in a few days.

Talking Re: U.S. Model 1895 Springfield Armory????

In 1917 my Great Grandfather came home from the Army with his U.S. model 1895 Springfield Armory Krag-Jorgensen .30 Army carbine. When I first gained possession of the rifle, I too had difficulty finding it in any Internet searches (I didn't even know what type of cartridge it took .) My local gun smith informed me it fired 30-40 krag (after I convinced him I had no intentions of selling it,) and that it is generally referred to as a Krag-Jorgensen Rifle. It does have 1895 Springfield Armory along with serial number stamped on it, but I have only seen it posted twice in a google search once being your post. I am about to investigate the other now.

(York County)

This is one of those cases where the internet is NOT a good place to do your search. To really nail down what an 1895 Krag is or is not, get the book on it. "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine (2nd Edit revised)" byJoe Poyer is the only book currently in print on the subject and will set you back about $20 dollars or so.

I'm not a Krag person myself, but I do know there were many variations of the Krag. Many were models with but minor detail variations and indeed were updated to later patterns during one of the many rebuilds the US Army did during the Krag's service life (which was longer than to the introduction of the Springfield '03).

Please read my telltale signs above. It will help determine whether you have a true '95 variant of the '96 carbine. The first thing to check is the rear sight. Does it have graduations to 20 (vs 18)? Is there a letter "C" on the ladder and on the right side of the base? That is the hardest part to find and will give a pretty good idea of whether you have a carbine or a cut rifle.
    Most '95 carbines are in the serial number range of roughly 26,800 to 28,000.
    I'm a Kragophile. Fortunately, I don't have to register with the authorities when I move.

(Lebanon County)

Can't let this thread die.
    Are all 1895s Carbines?
    A friend just emailed me a picture of an 1895 that looks like a full length rifle.
    Or is that model #1896? I can't really tell from the picture but he said it's 1895 and he has the gun in his hands.

Looking for info, I think there's a possibility of value questions maybe followed by inheritance circumstances.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Most 1895 marked Krags are rifles. The carbines are quite rare.
    From what I can see in the (poor) pictures, that appears all original.
    I'm a Kragophile. Fortunately, I don't have to register with the authorities when I move.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast