Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default PA resident to purchase from NJ resident

I became a PA resident about 6 months ago from NJ. My buddy from back home in NJ is looking to sell a few of his hand guns. I would like to purchase them. What needs to be done in order for me to do so? If there is any other pertinent information you would like to pass on to a soon to be first time gun owner in PA please feel free as a lot of it is vague to me.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: PA resident to purchase from NJ resident

Quote Originally Posted by babers013 View Post
    I became a PA resident about 6 months ago from NJ. My buddy from back home in NJ is looking to sell a few of his hand guns. I would like to purchase them. What needs to be done in order for me to do so? If there is any other pertinent information you would like to pass on to a soon to be first time gun owner in PA please feel free as a lot of it is vague to me.
    you must go via a PA FFL. I'm not sure of NJ but, I would think he could just transport them to the PA FFL and do the transfer. If there is too great a distance he needs to seek out a NJ FFL and have the NJ FFL ship it to the Designated PA FFL. you must use FFL(s) willing to do this so you need to ask the FFL(s) in advance. They will charge you for this service and prices vary greatly.

ADD: In PA there is no permission required to purchase a handgun other than passing the PICS check. Transporting them is restricted unless you have a LTCF.
    Last edited by rwilson452; March 31st, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Lycoming County)

Talk with a PA FFL Holder they should know what they have to do.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

He just needs to bring them to a PA ffl to tranfer to you.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the info. Is there a searchable list of FFL's in PA so I can find one to go to? I am in Levittown PA, right on the NJ border north of Philly.

Also, average cost to transfer???
    What is the PA PICS system I have been seeing? It appears to be a simple way of proving you fit the requirement to own a firearm. Is that all it is?

Thanks for all the help!

Ready Aim Fire is in Bristol and they do transfers for $35, Mikes is also in Levittown on the parway and he does transfers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by babers013 View Post

Also, average cost to transfer???
    What is the PA PICS system I have been seeing? It appears to be a simple way of proving you fit the requirement to own a firearm. Is that all it is?

Thanks for all the help!
    it's the background check that's run when you buy a gun at a FFL. my last transfer ran me $20 and about 5 minutes.

(Chester County)

Had to open this old thread afte scouring the internet for research with no luck...

To throw a wrench into the above mentioned situation, does anyone know which state law would take affect if passing a firearm from father (Nj) to son (pa)?

Pa law says a father to son transfer can take place anytime with no paperwork/cfl. Nj law states that this can only be done when father passes away.

Thanks.

If you purchase a handgun from out of State it has to be transferred to an FFL here in NJ and then we can pick it up. You must have a handgun permit to complete the transfer. As far as NJ handgun going to Pa. (don't quote me) but I think that has to go from NJ FFL to Pa. FFL. Any NJ FFL would be able to clear that up for you.
    The answer to a fool is silence.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by nestorlinks View Post
    Had to open this old thread afte scouring the internet for research with no luck...

To throw a wrench into the above mentioned situation, does anyone know which state law would take affect if passing a firearm from father (Nj) to son (pa)?

Pa law says a father to son transfer can take place anytime with no paperwork/cfl. Nj law states that this can only be done when father passes away.

Thanks.
    Are you using 'passing' in the sense of living transfer or an estate distribution??

If both parties are living then FEDERAL law requires the use of an FFL for interstate transfers. In the case of a handgun, that FFL must be licensed in the state of the recipient. For longarms, an FFL of any state suffices. (18 USC 922(a)(5)). This is required regardless of relationship between the principals.

As to estate distributions, neither NJ, Pa nor Federal require any licensing/permitting provided the beneficiary is not otherwise prohibited unless the firearm is a state restricted weapon (ex machine/assault gun in NJ).
    IANAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast