Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Mako group vs Knoxx

First off, Hello everyone! I read way more than I post, so I guess its time to remedy that!

I have a Mossberg 500 12g, and I want to replace the ATI stock that came with it, because I hate it and its a P.O.S. I'm stuck between a Mako Group stock or a Blackhawk Knoxx stock. I know it'll pretty much boil down to personal preference, but any input is more than welcome!

Thanks guys!

Blank

Default Re: Mako group vs Knoxx

I have installed and used both. I prefer the Mako stocks for several reasons.

Mako has several new designs that are modular - components can be switched, and they are also available for AK47 and vz.58. The folding versions can be mounted right or left-handed. I used the one that you linked to in the past on a Mossberg and I liked it a lot. I use some of the other styles now. Here are the new styles:

Collapsible Mossberg 500/590 Buttstock
    This is a basic collapsible stock with storage in the aluminum stock extension and grip, and battery storage in the buttstock. A single-point sling adapter mounts just behind the grip. The stock is made to be removed to run just the grip.

Folding Collapsible Mossberg Stock
    This one has a really cool, streamlined folding mechanism that can be mounted to fold the stock either direction.

Folding Stock for Mossberg 500/590 with cheekpiece
    This is the stock to get if you have an optic or tall iron sights on your shotgun. The cheekpiece will raise your head to the right level, or can be left collapsed if your using a bead. I have one of these on a vz.58 and a Maverick 88 shotgun.

Recoil-compensating stock for Mossberg shotguns. Folding recoil-reducing stock.

The best of both worlds. These stocks have a recoil-reducing mechanism that doesn't pinch fingers like the Knoxx stocks do to some people. Also, since the grip is attached solidly to the weapon, there is not a painful recoil issue with mounting accessories on the forend. The Remington 870 version does not interfere with the safety. I have one of the folding recoil-reducing stocks on a Remington 870.

The Mako stocks don't seem to flex like the Knoxx stocks, and they can accept any M4-style AR-15 buttstock (can be bought without the buttstock). They feel better to me than the Knox stocks. I also prefer the look of the Mako stocks, but that is just personal preference.

The standard buttstock now looks like this (not like the old style in the pictures above):

It has 6 possible ways to attach the sling, an aggressively textured rubber buttpad for traction on body armor (still comfortable to shoot in a t-shirt), storage for 2 surefire batteries, and fits both mil-spec and commercial buffer tubes. This is the one I have on my stocks.
    Last edited by 7.62 Precision; March 31st, 2010 at 01:06 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Knoxx also has the Compstock

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Com...k,1155,165.htm

Wow that Mako is nice, but $155 more than my SpecOps.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

I would never spend that kind of money on a stock. I like the Knoxx just fine on my 870.

$300 is silly talk.

Yeah, I was leaning towards the Mako that I linked to begin with, but I ended up going with the Knoxx. I agree whole-heartedly that the Mako you linked is sexy, but at $280, a bit extreme. Haha.

Thanks for the input though!

(Beaver County)

Those Mako stocks are sexy beasts BUT they're super expensive and the Spec Ops stock isn't bad looking either. Both of those stocks have a downward angle but if you'd like to try a straight assembly and you're considering making a significant investment, give Mesa Tactical a look. If you don't like their complete setups, you could just buy an adapter for the Mossberg and put whatever grip and stock you want on there.

This is my 870 with a Spec Ops stock.