Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sig P238 with Laser? Is it worth the price?

On a recent visit to a local gun shop I came across a series of P238's in various finishes and grips, one of which featured a 'tactical laser' as the Sig website puts it. I'm not sure if it's a limited edition or if it's just another of the dozen options for the P238, but it really caught my eye on the shelf.

I've been looking into a BUG, and I have been interested in getting a Sig pistol of some sort, and this thing fits both of those categories perfectly. I really like the look and feel of the gun, but am a bit turned off by the $700 price tag on it.

I have looked online but haven't come up with any other prices to compare this with, so I figured I could ask on here (Sig website has MSRP at $750). Is this a fair price for a P238 with the custom laser attached? Anyone here own this or any P238's and can comment on quality and reliability?

I know Sigs run pretty high so the price sounds reasonable, but I don't want to get ripped off if I buy it. I was also curious on how well Sigs hold their value. With money being a little tight I'm hesitant to spend that kind of money on another gun right now, but I don't want to miss out if it's a good price on a gun I might not be able to find in the future.

Here's a picture from the Sig website if anyone is curious.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Sig P238 with Laser? Is it worth the price?

While it's a Sig and a fine looking gun there is no way in hell that I would pay that price for a .380. You have so many better options for a far lower price if you want a good reliable BUG in .380.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Northampton County)

Prices vary based on finish. I bought mine for $499 all black Nitron with night sites, dont need anything flashy for a cc gun. But i love mine, only about 150 rounds through it because of ammo but functions great no problems thus far and follow up shots are solit due to low recoil. Had the LCP and hated it, well worth the money in my opinion. youll catch some flack for .380 acp but i think it does the job

(Montgomery County)

Just got mine and so far so good!!! Like STACK above, low rounds due to ammo availability but does what I need it to do - CCW. I had a LCP as well and sold it and went with the P238 +NS only because it fit my hand better. I am curious what shop has several of them since I had to wait awhile until this one was delivered.

(Cumberland County)

I saw one at a local place the other day for $465. That was sans laser, but still. I would check around before dropping a bunch of cash.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

The $465 and $499 mentioned seem on par with the other P238's in the shop, and I think that's a decent price. The $700 is obviously for the laser, but that's a big difference for an accessory with limited practicality.

The laser wasn't the selling point for me, just the finish of the actual gun is what I really like. As far as I know though that finish is only available with the laser combo. If I could find that same finish without the laser for $500 I'd already have it.

And thanks everyone for the feedback. I like the idea of a .380 for a BUG, and this seems the perfect size for the job. And I'm not too worried about the shortage of ammo as I currently have a ton of it sitting in my basement and no guns to feed them to (and no it's not for sale).

RYB44 - to answer your question the shop is in Stroudsburg. 2 weeks ago they have 4 P238's, one with the rainbow metal finish, 2 with wood grips, and this one with the laser. When I stopped in the other day one of the wood grip models had been sold.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    The $465 and $499 mentioned seem on par with the other P238's in the shop, and I think that's a decent price. The $700 is obviously for the laser, but that's a big difference for an accessory with limited practicality.

The laser wasn't the selling point for me, just the finish of the actual gun is what I really like. As far as I know though that finish is only available with the laser combo. If I could find that same finish without the laser for $500 I'd already have it.

And thanks everyone for the feedback. I like the idea of a .380 for a BUG, and this seems the perfect size for the job. And I'm not too worried about the shortage of ammo as I currently have a ton of it sitting in my basement and no guns to feed them to (and no it's not for sale).

RYB44 - to answer your question the shop is in Stroudsburg. 2 weeks ago they have 4 P238's, one with the rainbow metal finish, 2 with wood grips, and this one with the laser. When I stopped in the other day one of the wood grip models had been sold.
    Maybe the P238 Elite?
    www.summitgunbroker.com/P238_Equinox.html

Reputable seller too. Check it out.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Bucks County)

Tanners has them for about 450. Not this model but the P238 in two tone and I think the nitron goes for a little more.

The laser is not needed.

They shoot wonderful and are reliable. 200 rounds without an issue.

I plan on shooting 200 more and running the pwer ball and Hornady self defense through it.

I think they now have like 6 models. The gun is nice and worth 450. I had to order mine it took about 2 months.

(Philadelphia County)

Smile Re: Sig P238 with Laser? Is it worth the price?

Seems to be a tad high for a .380 chambering. I would shop around a bit more. I can understand why you want it though, it's a beauty!

I've done some more digging on the internet and so far have only found the P238 w/ laser for the same price or higher, minus shipping. All of the other P238's I've seen online where $550 or higher, depending on the sights and grips.

I also checked into buying just the grips to swap for the look I want. Sig doesn't sell them direct, but I did find a website that makes replacement grips which sold ones that are very similar, minus the Sig logo. $55.50 (on sale) for the grips isn't cheap though.

I also found just the laser for sale. Price is $159, which is about what I would expect.

So if I were to buy a P238 without the laser and add the grips it would be approx. $610+... add the laser then $770+.

I know $700 is still a lot for a .380, but looking at it that way it doesn't seem like too bad of a deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast