Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default inter-state traveling

I have a wedding to go to in N Carolina. Making travel arrangements now, so I don't have to worry about the details when its time to go. All of the states I have to go through honor PA ltcf's, except Maryland.
    I don't know if this is current, but here's what I found.

Carrying and Transportation in Vehicles

Rifles and shotguns being transported in motor vehicles must be unloaded.
    It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person.

It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.

.A person may transport a handgun if they can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:

•To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop.

•Between a person’s bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person.

•While engaged in, or traveling to and from a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show.

•By a bona fide gun collector who is moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition.
    During transportation to and from the above places the handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster. An additional penalty is provided for any person convicted of unlawfully wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun, if his deliberate purpose was to injure or kill another person.

Does all this mean that I legally can't go through Maryland with a handgun,unless I'm going to a match or taking my dog to a training class?
    If that's the case, does anyone know of any ranges in NC that hold monthly target shoots or any dog training classes in may?
    If I can't legally carry at all in MD, I have to plan accordingly to take the family on a scenic detour around the MD panhandle, so as not to have to cross the border into the state and risk a non-refundable felony. Or bring the dog.
    Who setup these silly state lines for that state, anyway? Why does MD need a panhandle when all it does is get in the way?
    Any help would be great. Thanks.
    Don't take anything I say seriously, unless I say seriously. Seriously.

(Chester County)

Default Re: inter-state traveling

Hoplophobia is funny

There is a provision in Federal law to allow passing directly through a state, provided you are legal at both ends and you don't flinch or make eye contact. Same issue with driving through NJ, NY, MA... It's covered by one of the Stickies at the top of this very forum:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ms-page-3.html

(Monroe County)

So I have to pull over at the pa border, unload and lock up my gear, in the trunk, drive on through,then pull over once in WV, unlock my gear and reload, and be on my merry way and I'll be ok as long as I don't flag down any cops while in MD to tell them I've got a gun and I know how to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by sublime1 View Post
    So I have to pull over at the pa border, unload and lock up my gear, in the trunk, drive on through,then pull over once in WV, unlock my gear and reload, and be on my merry way and I'll be ok as long as I don't flag down any cops while in MD to tell them I've got a gun and I know how to use it?
    Yup, if you want to stay legal.

(Monroe County)

Good deal! Legal is as legal does. Forest gotta run through maryland quick-like and I'll be good on the other side. It looks like it's only 15-20 miles that I'll be in the state. Lets hope nothing happens while I'm passin' on through.
    What's the statute , just in case I have to quote federal laws for some reason?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by sublime1 View Post
    Good deal! Legal is as legal does. Forest gotta run through maryland quick-like and I'll be good on the other side. It looks like it's only 15-20 miles that I'll be in the state. Lets hope nothing happens while I'm passin' on through.
    What's the statute , just in case I have to quote federal laws for some reason?
    I've made the drive a million times when I went to college in NC...I-81 South through Maryland is nothing really, if you blink you will miss it...you're out in no time I wouldn't worry about it if I were you...just do the speed limit, use your blinker changing lanes, make sure everything on the vehicle is up to date and legal...and you have no reason to get pulled anyways...and if you did, keep your mouth shut, get your speeding ticket and be on your way, it's not like you'll be patted down for a firearm during a routine traffic stop

**disclaimer** everything I wrote above is completely fictitious

http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/Licensing_Faq.pdf

I carry a copy of this in the box with my pistols when traveling thru MD.
    If stopped by the MSP, you can point out that it is from their own web site.