Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default shot Kimber ultra carry and my Remington 1911R1

I finally broke in my 1911 and found it to be the sweetest pistol I've ever fired. Quite the accurate thing I must say. Next to me there was a guy shooting his Ultra Carry. Obviously this is just my personal opinion, but I didn like the way it shot one bit. The longer trigger seemed heavier than it needed to be. Maybe that threw me off a bit as I wasn't as accurate with it either.

I am glad to have shot the Kimber though as I was looking into getting one myself... I'll pass. Curious as to other's experiences with these pistols.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin-

(Centre County)

Default Re: shot Kimber ultra carry and my Remington 1911R1

Kimberly generally have pretty decent trigger. So I find this puzzling. May be guy had something done to it.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lehigh County)

It was actually the first time he was shooting his as well. It's possible that the longer skeleton trigger was throwing me off a bit. On a funnier note, that Kimber was throwing brass everywhere. It'd smack ya in the forehead or off to the side on the other guy's forehead.

I was expecting to love it as I've heard so much about them. I love the look of them, just didn't quite care for its feel in my hands I suppose.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin-

(Chester County)

I like my Kimber CDP II. The trigger is one of the things I like most about it.

Kimber had an issue with the extractors in some of their guns. Mine either threw brass at my head or sometimes failed to eject. I sent it back to Kimber and they installed a new slide at no charge. It runs perfectly now.

My next handgun will be a full size 1911. I haven't decided yet, but the Remington is on the short list.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Philadelphia County)

Id say get the R1 while its still reasonably priced. Its an excellent handgun.

Shorter sight radius will make it seem less accurate. I wouldn't judge a 1911 of any kind based on the trigger out of the box. The trigger can be polished and adjusted to feel however you want it to with minimal work and time involved. Also, aside from what ever extraction/ejection issues there are out there with these short barrel 1911's, they are more grip sensitive than a full size due to having less of a gap between the breech face and the round being picked up when the slide is all the way to the rear, as well as having a recoil spring strong enough to pull the slide and the round into battery. Different grip tensions = brass going all over the place, even if the ejector and extractor are perfectly tuned.
    Last edited by harold63; March 25th, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Shorter sight radius will make it seem less accurate. I wouldn't judge a 1911 of any kind based on the trigger out of the box. The trigger can be polished and adjusted to feel however you want it to with minimal work and time involved. Also, aside from what ever extraction/ejection issues there are out there with these short barrel 1911's, they are more grip sensitive than a full size due to having less of a gap between the breech face and the round being picked up when the slide is all the way to the rear, as well as having a recoil spring strong enough to pull the slide and the round into battery. Different grip tensions = brass going all over the place, even if the ejector and extractor are perfectly tuned.
    While I agree with 1911 shouldn't be judged by trigger feel alone(Unless your looking for a dedicated target gun, then I'd imagin trigger feel is huge part), I think vast majority of 1911 shooters just shoot whatever 1911 they buy, and never mess with it(I know, hard to belive!). Most people don't want to be bothered with going to GunSmith, wait months for them to work on your gun.
    I certainly don't want to.

My RIA Tactical CS did have had some issues with extraction(it extracted fine, but empties went every which directions), which was turned out to be a poorly fitted extractor(losing a control of empties during some what of violent slide cycle).
    New extractor, firing pin stop plate, and several tuning trips, she extract good(empties lands between 2 and 3oclock).

300WM, I just realized that your from Port Chalorette Florida.
    My best friend from highschool lives in Punta Gorda

(Washington County)

I have a Kimber Custom II and Stainless Pro Raptor II, and I absolutely love them. They shoot great and I have never had a problem with either of them. Both triggers break nice and crisp around 3-4 lbs. I have no idea why that guys trigger pull was long like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I think vast majority of 1911 shooters just shoot whatever 1911 they buy, and never mess with it(I know, hard to belive!). Most people don't want to be bothered with going to GunSmith, wait months for them to work on your gun.
    I certainly don't want to.
    Yea, that's the suck part of it. Waiting on a GS. I got tired of getting the run around, so I just bought the stuff I needed and did all my 1911's for a fraction of the cost, thanks to ATI and the 'University of Youtube". Once you feel a target trigger, you become spoiled and nothing you look at measures up. I know a few blokes who don't like to carry a 1911 with a short, light trigger, so some of the Ultra Carry heaviness may be due to that. I've been fortunate enough to shoot a number of these SB 1911's and none have exhibited what I'd call a target trigger other than a couple guys who carry their 3"er's with lightened pulls. They are definitely on the carry side of feel (triggers) out of the box. edit: and yes I agree, one shouldn't have to get a trigger worked on to feel good on that kind of gun, but some builders just get them good enough to shoot and leave the rest up to us, as I'm sure you know.

Yea, I'm right across the river from PG. He probably shoots at Babcock Webb; my home away from home, well right up until the indoor range opened. It's two blocks from my house, so it saves me a little driving time, but it's indoor.
    Last edited by harold63; March 25th, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Yea, that's the suck part of it. Waiting on a GS. I got tired of getting the run around, so I just bought the stuff I needed and did all my 1911's for a fraction of the cost, thanks to ATI and the 'University of Youtube". Once you feel a target trigger, you become spoiled and nothing you look at measures up. I know a few blokes who don't like to carry a 1911 with a short, light trigger, so some of the Ultra Carry heaviness may be due to that. I've been fortunate enough to shoot a number of these SB 1911's and none have exhibited what I'd call a target trigger other than a couple guys who carry their 3"er's with lightened pulls. They are definitely on the carry side of feel (triggers) out of the box. edit: and yes I agree, one shouldn't have to get a trigger worked on to feel good on that kind of gun, but some builders just get them good enough to shoot and leave the rest up to us, as I'm sure you know.

Yea, I'm right across the river from PG. He probably shoots at Babcock Webb; my home away from home, well right up until the indoor range opened. It's two blocks from my house, so it saves me a little driving time, but it's indoor.
    Damn I wish I have undoor range I can use. You see, you Floridan's may not know this, but up here in NorthEast, we have this mystical white thing called "snow", and Im getting tired of going out to shoot at outside range where temp dropps to 20degree with 15mph cross wind!

My carry Officer's 1911 has trigger weight of 5~5.3lbs. Certainly not a target trigger. It does have very short reset, and almost no take up. Its decent.

My TRP has crisp 4.2~4.5lb trigger that breaks like glass. Great for percision shots.
    But I do feel I like to stick around 5lbs for carry guns.
    4+ lbs trigger is easy to manipulate at the range. But I'm not sure how well I can manipulate it when I wake up to a noise at 2:35AM in Friday night in pitch dark with my dog barking in downstairs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast