Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    meanbeangreen Guest

Question H. SCHMIDT .22 Single Action Revolver Model 21

Hello other members, am looking for a little help/information a "new" gun I just bought from a friend's father. Sorry if any of this information already exists on this forum but haven't found any to date.

I now have a H. Schmidt .22lr revolver. It says Model 21 on butt, not 21S or anything like that. It also is marked Hawes Fire Arms CO. Los Angeles, CA. I understand that there were many of these made and imported but quite a few companies and that they aren't really worth that much, however shooting them is fun.

Does anyone have any solid info on these little guns? Mine also has Buffalo marks on the cylinder, grips, barrel, et al. It's my understanding that they also used to come with a .22 mag cylinder? I know my friends Dad has shot many .22lrs out of it, but I'm unsure of with cylinder I actually have. It seats the .22lrs nicely but the cylinder is not marked anything that would tell me. I assume it would also chamber .22mags easily as well? There is a lot of extra space in the cylinder for them.

Even if I have the LR cylinder would it be ok to shoot the mags, and vice versa if it is the mag cylinder there has never seemed to be a problem shooting the LRs.

Your help would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: H. SCHMIDT .22 Single Action Revolver Model 21

22 mag is a fatter round to prevent chambering in a 22 LR. Does a 22 mag fit in the cylinder? A 22LR will fit in a 22 mag cylinder and fire but the case will be bulged and accuracy can be poor. It is not considered safe to do so.

If 22 lR is what your friend's dad shot and the cases look okay IMO it's a 22lr. As I said don't shoot 22 mags in it regardless of how much room is in the cylinder. You are not gaining a lot from a 22mag in a short barrel revolver.

(Lehigh County)

This revolver should have two cylinders, one for .22 mag. Very nice shooter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veritas Vos Liberat

Try this again. I have two H.Schmidt revolvers from 1969 from Ostheim/Rhon.S#s 47826 and 464365. The first has an interchangeable mag cylinder and 4 3/4 inch barrel and was brought in through L.ADistributors, New York City, NY. The other is a 4 inch barrel, EI.G C, Mod. E 15. All 3 cylinders are interchangeable. The cogs on the cylinders are worn. Wish I had new ones. Bought the first one in 1969. keep trying to put a photo with this from my pictures; but then I lose the whole darn thing. so I am going to submit this first and then try the pics later. A fun gun to shoot.

I have two H.Schmidt 22s from Ostheim/Rhon. Ostheim is just over the mountain from where I was stationed at the Wassekuppe Radar Site for several years. In 1969, back in PA I saw an ad for the gun from a shop in Philadelphia, drove down and bought the one with an interchangeable 22Mag cylinder. The first has no model # on it and was sold through LA distributors, New York City, NY S# 472826. The second, I believe is older; S# 464365, ans was sold through Miami, Florida, under EI.G mMod. E 15. All three cylinders are interchangeable. However; the cogs on the cylinders show quite some wear. Wish I could buy a couple of new ones somewhere. I noticed on Stevespages.com; that he is looking for a manual and info on this company to complete his worldwide listing. Does anyone have a manual on these?? I did print out the forum attachment breakdown on the gun.

I have 1 of these with both cylinders. The mag. cylinder has ".22 MAGN GERMANY" stamped on it and the regular .22 LR doesn't have anything on it, so if yours doesn't have anything on it, it would be the .22 LR.

Recently a friend passed away and he left me a small 22 cal pistol. I have a Ruger Single Six, and this is a bit smaller. The markings are:

on the barrel...
    H Schmidt Ostheim Rhon
    Made in Germany

on the frame...
    LA Distributors
    New York City NY

I have not located a model # anywhere on the gun, although all parts have matching serial numbers.

I have stripped (disassembled) the gun.
    I would like to restore the gun and have found some matching schematics, but without an identifing parts list to go with it at Numrich (Hawes Small Frame Single Action). I have seen the partial list from Bob's Gun Shop (Herbert Schmidt E-15) but it seems difficult to read and is incomplete.
    Does anyone have a better schematic with a good parts list for this gun?
    Does anyone know what model I have?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Found what I needed...
    Last edited by Joesan; March 26th, 2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: got my answer