Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default anti gun group on thepittsburghchannel.com

thepittsburghchannel.com has reported that pa residents denied ccw permits going to florida to get permits to carry (loophole?). My understanding that if a person is denied for legal reasons(ie; felony etc) they shouldn't be able to obtain a permit from any state.

I suspect some sheriffs may be denying for invalied reasons and these my be the ones going to fl. for permits. If anyone real story please rebut to thepittsburghchannel.com.

jojo9mm, a concerned west virginian for pa.

2A all the way!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: anti gun group on thepittsburghchannel.com

Heres the article:
    http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...53/detail.html
    Team 4: Pennsylvanians Getting Gun Permits Through Florida
    Reciprocal Agreement Doesn't Let Pa. Override Florida Decisions

POSTED: 5:54 pm EDT March 30, 2010
    UPDATED: 6:16 pm EDT March 30, 2010
    [EMAIL: Team 4: Pennsylvanians Getting Gun Permits Through Florida] Email [PRINT: Team 4: Pennsylvanians Getting Gun Permits Through Florida] Print
    [COMMENTS: Team 4: Pennsylvanians Getting Gun Permits Through Florida] Comments
    (4)
    Bookmark and Share
    PITTSBURGH -- Pennsylvanians who want to carry a concealed weapon have to get permission from their local sheriff -- but it seems that there's another option if the sheriff says no.

Team 4 investigator Jim Parsons reported that Pennsylvania has a reciprocal agreement with two dozen states in which it recognizes their permits to carry concealed weapons and they recognize those from Pennsylvania.

An agreement with Florida has drawn criticism from anti-gun groups and some law enforcement officials.

"These individuals now can apply to the state of Florida -- literally through the mail, to the Florida Department of Agriculture -- to receive a permit to carry from the state of Florida, and then carry their concealed firearm in Pennsylvania," said Joe Grace, of CeaseFire PA. "Now, that stands the law on its head."

Florida is one of few states that allows non-residents to obtain concealed weapon permits.

Officials in Florida only consider an applicant's criminal convictions. Pennsylvania can reject an application based on a person's character and reputation.

CeaseFire PA told Team 4 the story of a Philadelphia man who was caught with weapons after his Pennsylvania permit was revoked.

"There was no arrest -- even though his Pennsylvania license to carry had been revoked -- because he now had a Florida license to carry," Grace said.

Team 4 contacted Florida officials to find out how many Pennsylvanians are getting their handgun permits from the Sunshine State.

In western Pennsylvania, the number is over 400. Statewide, it has grown by 500 in the past eight weeks and is now at 3,121.

* ZIP Code List: Number Of Concealed Weapon Permits Issued By Florida To Pa. Residents
    (Numbers provided by Florida Department of Agriculture)

"Well, Florida has their laws," said Pennsylvania State Rep. Dom Costa, D-Pittsburgh.

Costa, a former chief of the Pittsburgh Police Bureau, said what Florida does is Florida's business.

"It's your state. You determine whether they should have one or not," said Costa. "Then, we'd have to look at it here in Pennsylvania. If they have been refused here, do we want to override that permit to carry here?"

But the only way Pennsylvania can override Florida's decisions is to change the reciprocal agreement between the two states -- something which CeaseFire PA is calling on Pennsylvania Attorney General Tom Corbett to do.

A Closer Look At The Numbers In Pennsylvania:

* Permits issued by Florida in ZIP codes beginning with ...

15: 260 permits
    16: 165 permits
    17: 407permits
    18: 631 permits
    19: 1,658 permits

* Highest raw number for ZIPs that start with 15...

15108 (Coraopolis/Moon area) - 11
    (estimated population 41,220)

15601 (Greensburg) - 10
    (estimated population 59,517)

* Highest raw number for ZIPs that start with 16...

16148 (Hermitage) - 8
    (estimated population 17,148)
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Allegheny County)

Can someone explain how the anti-gun side always get to present their position "for another gun control law" to solve everything in every story the media does.

Why isn't their someone from our side ever even given the chance to present the facts as why this is occuring?

To at least give the illusion of the media being fair and balanced reporting a news story.
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Washington County)

saw this tonight on TV and thought what a bunch of bs. both fl and pa will block you for felony charges.

according to the TV report, they flashed a quick slide that showed the difference is PA sheriff can block you due to character or something like that.

Well reality is you just need to have 2 people to put down to vouch for you on the PA permit request.

plus there are other states like Utah that people get non-resident permits. its more so you can carry in states that require training. like Ohio.

note they dont mention that to get the FLORIDA permit you need to take a gun safety course versus PA you don't!
    "My Name is Earl" ;-)

(Berks County)

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...0/23004150.pdf

Number of PA residents with Florida permits, by zip code.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, seen that yesterday on "6PM" news from WTAE TV here in PGH. Was surprised they had such an anti- twist to the story.

Time to go back to KDKA TV and wait on Allison Morris reportings..
    Or from Trini Orlando.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Venango County)

It is interesting that the article concludes the only way to deal with the 'problem' (and control Florida's decisions) is to attack the reciprocity agreement.

No, that is the EASIEST way to try to oppose it.

The better and proper way, but perhaps more difficult route, is to change the law regarding Pennsylvanians holding or recognizing out of state, non-residence licenses.

Not that I would want that, but I don't think they would be able to do it. It would take too long, too much money and face too much opposition.

However, trying to pressure the AG to strike down a reciprocity agreement is much easier and requires a lot less resources.

Liars.
    Last edited by TaePo; March 31st, 2010 at 02:00 PM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    FYI: the Pennsylvania Attorney General Tom Corbett is coming to the April 11 FOAC meeting to take and answer questions.

I know Lost or Stolen is going to one of the topics covered at the FOAC meeting.

So IF you got a question you want to ask the AG come and ask!

see meeting (top center) for direction on web site

http://www.foac-pac.org/
    Tom Corbett will do anything to get votes I see.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

If they struck down the reciprocity agreement, then I would have to open carry all the time LOL. I'd avoid Philly anyway. Just like I avoid Baltimore.

I've got a FL lisc to allow me to cc or vehicle transport. Since PA allows ANY carry lisc to be used for vehicle transport, that would mean a lisc not reciprical for on foot cc, can only be used to "get you there" to OC on foot. Anywhere in PA besides Philly...

I guess the antis like OC for anywhere outside Philly! They like MD and NJ people to OC! LOL
    LOL, I am a woman...

The media isn't looking closely enough at this matter. A big reason PA residents get the FL permit is for more coverage, and since its good in PA, they may not even bother w/a PA LTCF.
    Now, these people they refer to getting their PA LTCF revoked, then going to FL, that's another issue. Why are they revoked? Obviously if they commit a crime then FL won't issue either. This "character and reputation" thing leads back to the problem some have had with the Philly PD issuance system. It seems they're trying to make their city into "may-issue" by expanding disqualifying factors beyond what is in state law.
    So all in all it seems the media likes "may-issue" and believes the PDs should be able to deny based on anything. They probably won't like it when someone tells them the "may-issue" laws were born as a result of the Jim Crow laws of the South.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast