Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Md Hotel, Can I Have My Gun

the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person
    What is a "bona fide" residence? Is not a hotel a temporary residence? Isn't your friend's house a temporary residence? I would think that "bona fide" residence is thrown in there to exclude the claim that your residence is the town library because you took a nap there.

That said, I may be a serious scofflaw. I go to Maryland five or six times a year for four or five day visits and I always have a gun in my luggage. After the attacks on the world trade center, many of us rednecks were a bit nervous and carried rifles in our trunks. Oddly, the police checkpoints didn't pick up on the guns.

However, there was a time back in the 90s that the MSP were stopping cars coming into the state from West Va. and asking if the driver had a gun in the car and confiscating it if he admitted it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    What is a "bona fide" residence? Is not a hotel a temporary residence? Isn't your friend's house a temporary residence? I would think that "bona fide" residence is thrown in there to exclude the claim that your residence is the town library because you took a nap there.

That said, I may be a serious scofflaw. I go to Maryland five or six times a year for four or five day visits and I always have a gun in my luggage. After the attacks on the world trade center, many of us rednecks were a bit nervous and carried rifles in our trunks. Oddly, the police checkpoints didn't pick up on the guns.

However, there was a time back in the 90s that the MSP were stopping cars coming into the state from West Va. and asking if the driver had a gun in the car and confiscating it if he admitted it.
    Places of short term stays with no intention of making them a permanent residence IMO are places of 'lodgings' - not 'residences'.

I can find no definition of the term in the MD code but found this general legal definition:

A bona fide resident refers to a person who has stayed in a particular state or country for a duration that is required by the applicable statutes or state laws. This is required for the purpose of a variety of rights, like the right to vote, right to run for public office, determining taxes etc. A bona fide residency requirement asks a person to establish that he or she actually lives in a certain location. This can be established by the address listed on the driver’s license, voter registration card, income tax return and the like. Some states in U.S recognize a person who has conducted sufficient amount of business in a state as actual resident. Bona fide residence is not the same as domicile.

Take pause before taking your handguns into MD.
    IANAL

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Places of short term stays with no intention of making them a permanent residence IMO are places of 'lodgings' - not 'residences'.

I can find no definition of the term in the MD code but found this general legal definition:

Take pause before taking your handguns into MD.
    My fiancee's family owns a condo in OCMD. I would think this qualifies as a "bona fide residence" (or will once we're married!), though I wish they had bought about 10 blocks further north in DE
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    ok well im going to Crusin Week in Ocean City MD for the weekend because im addicted to muscle cars! I know our LTCF isnt good for Md, but if I wanted to have it in the hotel room with me would that be ok?
    Where are you staying? I've been down the past few years, and we're always in the Sahara tower building. It's at 19th and ocean, I think.
    It is a pretty neutering experience, but try not to let it keep you from enjoying the weekend.

Many years ago my wife and I along with some friends were camping in the Deep Creek/Oakland area at Garret State Forest. The last night of our stay, we unintentionally invited some unwanted guests - Momma Bear and her two cubs. We calmly vacated the area and retreated to our vehicles.

They pretty much destroyed our coolers. I did have a firearm with me, I would rather go to jail alive for protecting my wife & my myself & friends than be another homicide statistic. Not that I expected trouble, you just never know.

The next morning after several hours of uncomfortable sleeping in our cars, the MD DNR shows up. We were back down by the campsite and had my firearm sitting next to me on the picnic table. After the rangers left, it dawned on me me how lucky I really was. The rangers either didn't notice (hard to believe since I had a SW40F), noticed and didn't care, or just plain old cool about it.

At the time of the incident, one of the rangers (not the one doing the investigation) was my former CO in the MDNG.

This could have been a terrible ending to an adventurous trip.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    ok well im going to Crusin Week in Ocean City MD for the weekend because im addicted to muscle cars! I know our LTCF isnt good for Md, but if I wanted to have it in the hotel room with me would that be ok?
    where actually are you staying? I'm going to go down for this and am having a tough time trying to decide where to stay. I was told by the people who run this site:
    http://www.specialeventpro.com/cruisin.php

that the 2 main roads the cars drive down are Baltimore Avenue & Coastal HWY, but the main event is down around the inlet and to try to stay on a lower number street.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Monroe County)

FWIW, We go down every couple years and always stay at the Atlantic Hotel. It is the block between Wicomico and Somerset, right on the Boardwalk. It is very quaint. Prices are ( I think ) resonable.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    where actually are you staying? I'm going to go down for this and am having a tough time trying to decide where to stay. I was told by the people who run this site:
    http://www.specialeventpro.com/cruisin.php

that the 2 main roads the cars drive down are Baltimore Avenue & Coastal HWY, but the main event is down around the inlet and to try to stay on a lower number street.
    EDIT:
    I just changed motels, im gonna be at the Madison Beach Motel just a hop skip and a jump from the inlet so an even better motel and location

The inlet is always a great place to be if your into checking out the cars and later in the day the burnouts and some racing. Yea Balt and Coast are the main roads
    Last edited by mike_yorkPA; March 30th, 2010 at 08:53 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I posted a similar question a while ago on mdshooters.com and didn't really get a conclusive result because no one really knows for sure.

See http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=4963

Posts 4, 6, and 9 contain some pretty good info.

Al
    Last edited by mythaeus; March 30th, 2010 at 07:45 PM.

(Montgomery County)

In exceptions:
    (6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;
    This might save you "resides" is pretty broad.

From my understanding, limits on carrying weapons in MD only applies to handguns and long guns that they have decided based on cosmetic features, are 'assault weapons'. These are called 'regulated firearms'

It doesn't say anywhere that you can carry a long gun around, it only says what you can't do with a 'regulated firearm', You could even OC a long gun, but there is a statute that says its a crime to carry one with intent to harm that I imagine you would get arrested/prosecuted for if you walked through Baltimore like that.

In a way its similar to PA law. No where does it say you **CAN** open carry a pistol or CC/OC a long gun on foot, but it doesn't say you can't (outside of philly... i know)

Would I do it? No

I'm also not a lawyer lol.

http://www.mcsm.org/mdlaw.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast