Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S&W safety 38

(Cumberland County)

Default S&W safety 38

I have a 1902 "ish" S&W top break safety 38 with an issue and was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of this problem. I found some 38 S&W ammo, and although the pistol seems to be in perfect condition, when I load 5rounds into the cylinder, it will not close all the way. It goes all the way to the close position, but the latch on top will not latch, something is preventing the cylinder from seating all the way. I am not sure if the issue is due to the ammo being too "thick" around the rim and not allowing it to close, or if although the gun seems to me in perfect shape, something is "off" with the cylinder ? Guess I'll have to take it to a gunsmith, but thought I'd try her first
    Thanks !

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: S&W safety 38

I have a .32 S&W top break about the same vintage. Have you ever removed cylinder? Mine "threads" on & off. If not fully "rethreaded" back on, it will not seat properly. When cylinder is in proper position the gap at the rims of the cartridges is very close, little to almost no gap. I dont know if this applies to your model but I believe they are very similar.

(Bucks County)

Try this:

If you have 1902'ish' ammo to go with that gun, inspect the rounds for oxidation which might keep them from chambering completely.

Also check the headstamps to make sure it is .38 S&W ammo- not 38SPL or .38S&W SUPER POLICE.

If you HAVE to bring it to the gunsmith- I are one. Just admit defeat in writing and bring it over.

Sean

(Cumberland County)

Thanks guys. The ammo is correct, and I don't see any way to thread the cylinder, but I will keep checking. Everything seems to be tight and locks up nicely, but just won't close loaded - hmmmm.

(Allegheny County)

At 100+ yrs. old I took mine to the local gunsmith for him to look over. I wanted another opinion for extra piece of mind. I do believe that the earlier top break/safety revolvers were also only to be fired with black powder & not smokeless ( modern) ammo. I am not sure what model/year, that the change was. Good Luck