Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default NFA-Hughes Amendment Repeal Possible?

After doing some research about the NFA, more specifically the Hughes Amendment which put into effect the Machine Gun ban of 1986, I was wondering what everyone thinks about a possible repeal in the near future say 2012. I am referring specifically to the manufacturing of new machine guns for civilian use.

I know with the current administration they would go nowhere but in the other direction, but with the current approval rating thanks to Obamacare I think it's safe to say the 2010 and 2012 elections will take care of many political adversaries to Gun Rights.

I figured I'd be optimistic about the future for once...

(Adams County)

Default Re: NFA-Hughes Amendment Repeal Possible?

Sadly, I think this is a pipe dream. While you are correct, the 2010 and 2012 elections have the potential to completely transform the current Government, finding candidates who would support a repeal would be nearly impossible. Many politicians who "support" the 2A do so on a hunting stand, not a defence from tyranny stand.

Also, the outcry from organisations such as the Brady Campaign operate on emotions, and, while not out-and-out lies, convienantly leaving out important details misleads the general public into beliefs that a WASR or DPMS is an "assault rifle" or "machine gun" designed, and I quote: "to spray-fire." See below for what we are dealing with.

WARNING: grab ducktape...you may need it.

Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

(York County)

I can see the repeal being tagged into a larger piece of legislation in the future. It won't happen without you putting some effort into it yourself though. No politician is going to fight for the change if we don't push for it. At the moment, I do not see any semi-organized push from us little guys to get this done. I know I emailed my rep to get a repeal tagged on to some other legislation, but I would like to have a sit down with him about it. Worded carefully enough, it can be made to look to the average anti like a repeal is giving them something. Concentrate on the points that more guns are going to be registered with the NFA and their will be a subsequent increase in tax monies recieved. Anti's hear gun registration and tax money, they like that. Spin off some job based creation item with it as I'm sure firearm and parts manufacturing would increase with a repeal. Just don't highlight that the core of the bill is to allow us regular Joes to have newly made machinguns, even though that is the end result. It's a game of politics we have to play. Ideally, yeah I'd like to see the NFA Act of 1934 shot down in the courts, but I think it will be easier to get legislation passed in our favor instead.

(Allegheny County)

First, maybe we all should support the BATFE reform bills that are out there, then focus on the '86 MG ban.

I haven't seen much talk on this board about the BATFE reform bills at all, but everyone complains about the BATFE.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaGunner View Post
    After doing some research about the NFA, more specifically the Hughes Amendment which put into effect the Machine Gun ban of 1986, I was wondering what everyone thinks about a possible repeal in the near future say 2012. I am referring specifically to the manufacturing of new machine guns for civilian use.

I know with the current administration they would go nowhere but in the other direction, but with the current approval rating thanks to Obamacare I think it's safe to say the 2010 and 2012 elections will take care of many political adversaries to Gun Rights.

I figured I'd be optimistic about the future for once...
    The odds favor human extinction on Dec 21, 2012 before the MG ban is repealed. In reality, it will take another revolution before that ban is repealed.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Orion0317 View Post
    Sadly, I think this is a pipe dream. While you are correct, the 2010 and 2012 elections have the potential to completely transform the current Government, finding candidates who would support a repeal would be nearly impossible. Many politicians who "support" the 2A do so on a hunting stand, not a defence from tyranny stand.

Also, the outcry from organisations such as the Brady Campaign operate on emotions, and, while not out-and-out lies, convienantly leaving out important details misleads the general public into beliefs that a WASR or DPMS is an "assault rifle" or "machine gun" designed, and I quote: "to spray-fire." See below for what we are dealing with.

WARNING: grab ducktape...you may need it.
    I love arguing with people like her "out in the wild" because they have nothing but their "feelings" to stand on. If they were to act on fact and reason the debate would have been over long ago.

(Washington County)

I totally support your effort. Sadly, I agree that it's not likely. But with enough support and wording it so that the antis like it (like stated above), there is a chance that anything can happen. And these antis have ZERO reasoning power. If they looked at a Les Baer Ultimate in prarie dog town, would they still say "Assault Weapon"?
    NOBODY in their right mind would fire one of those guns from the hip. There is no accuracy from that at all. Most have buttstocks indicating that they were designed to be aimed from the shoulder... These people need some advanced psychological help. Maybe the good doc can figure out where they pull their "facts" from.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The odds favor human extinction on Dec 21, 2012 before the MG ban is repealed. In reality, it will take another revolution before that ban is repealed.
    If we don't fuck up the end game and lose what little we have now, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I love arguing with people like her "out in the wild" because they have nothing but their "feelings" to stand on. If they were to act on fact and reason the debate would have been over long ago.
    You and me both, Sir...they have taken the concept of instinct a bit too far.
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

(Bucks County)

I would love to see a repeal- but not until just after I sell that VERY overpriced Colt M16 that's laying around the shop.
    A repeal is unlikely- another '68 type amnesty, might be a possibility.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orion0317 View Post
    If we don't fuck up the end game and lose what little we have now, too...

You and me both, Sir...they have taken the concept of instinct a bit too far.
    During the rest of the current administration in DC, we'll more likely see a threat to what kinds of guns can be manufactured than see a lifting of a ban. No way in hell would O sign a repeal, and there isn't enough pro seats in both houses to overturn a veto.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast