Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Trust Option Ending?

I know gun shops are not always the best places to ask for advice regarding issue but I was talking to one of the younger clerks at Aces in Washington today about suppressors. I was asking him if the people were able to get CLEOs to sign off or most of them were doing trusts. He told me the people in Washington county weren't having any issue with getting a CLEO to sign off. I told him because I live in Allegheny county I doubt I'd be able to get a LEO to sign off. I don't live in the city of Pittsburgh, I live In the South Hills in a nice town. I talked about setting up a trust and he said if I don't get it set up by the 4th of December I wouldn't be able to use a trust.

Is/Are the option for NFA trusts going away on the 4th of December?

Are people in areas where LEOs wont sign off just shit out of luck now?

Anyone in the southills area get a NFA item without using a trust?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Trust Option Ending?

There's a proposed rule change that will have the 90 day comment period end on December 3rd. The suggested rule change was that NFA trusts would start to require CLEO signoff, fingerprints, and pictures just like individuals on Form 4's--thing is, we don't know what the actual rule will be when implemented, only what they submitted for comment, but the conventional wisdom on the matter is that we should expect it to be as submitted. The info we're working with is right now that you not only have to have the trust done by then, but also have your cans bought and Form 4 submitted by the 3rd or earlier. Trusts will still be good for the purpose of joint ownership instead of the very strict one person sole possession rule regardless if the change comes through or not, but a royal pain in the butt to have to submit fingerprints, photo, and CLEO signature for every can, SBR, etc. every time.

And yes, the idea is that a CLEO that won't sign would in fact veto ownership of NFA stuff for people living there, and that's utterly despicable on their part.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; November 24th, 2013 at 05:51 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Okay so nothing is set in stone as of now. Is it possible to get a trust set up without purchasing all the cans and forms. It seems like it would be a good idea to get that done and then purchase the cans afterwards. There's no way I can afford all that stuff in the next two weeks, especially with the holidays coming up.

Thanks for the response and help, I've read a lot of stuff on this but I'm still confused or the information isn't specific.

(Allegheny County)

i live in allegheny also.

if the sheriff is the same guy from before the recent election, then he will sign no problem from what i hear.

from my understanding, it doesn't matter when your trust is set up. it matters when the purchase of the can and form 4 is submitted for the new rules.

my trust was set up in may 2012. if i buy a NFA item next year, all of us on the trust will have to be finger printed, photoed, etc.

my advice, get the plastic out, melt that thing and get things going if you are worried.

no one knows what the new rule will be until we see it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post
    get the plastic out, melt that thing and get things going if you are worried.
    What does that mean?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthHillsNinja View Post
    What does that mean?
    He means start maxing your CC out on the nfa items you want BEFORE the rules go into effect.
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

Quote Originally Posted by TheGhost27 View Post
    He means start maxing your CC out on the nfa items you want BEFORE the rules go into effect.
    There's no compelling reason to believe that ATF will apply the old rules to Forms that are in the system when the new rules take effect. Since a Form filed today will likely be stuck in the system for 6 to 9 months, I wouldn't cash out the kids' college fund or go into debt to buy an NFA toy that you might never be able to take delivery of.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Stir up some shit... go to the DA's office and ask him to sign off on it. Since they are the CLEO' s in the Commonwealth.

To add on other's observations... I have not heard of Mullen failing to sign off unless there was a truly warranted reason.
    Last edited by Deleted; November 25th, 2013 at 03:10 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    ... that you might never be able to take delivery of.
    please elaborate a bit more.

are you being a smartass like i was when i said "melt the plastic"?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There's no compelling reason to believe that ATF will apply the old rules to Forms that are in the system when the new rules take effect.
    are you saying they are going to kick back all of the forms that are in the system, even the ones submitted before dec 4th, to have the new rules applied to those as well?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast