Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: NFA-Hughes Amendment Repeal Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Because McCain wasn't exactly someone most people could get behind either.

Personally, I think the best chance we have at getting anything in the NFA, GCA, etc. repealed is the tax stamp and registration on silencers/suppressors.
    Yeah, I think there was so much dislike for Bush that whoever the Republicans put up in 2008 had a slim chance of winning. Let's just hope Americans realize Obama is ruining this country and Republicans put up somone legitimate in 2012.

I agree that we need to wait until the Republicans have control of the White House, Senate, and the House so we can push for legislation to go through or just jam it down the throats of the liberals similar to what they did with Healthcare.

(Lehigh County)

Werner Von Braun when he said others use to tease him as a child when they said he was crazy about landing on the moon. Damned if he didn't do it.

Its a long shot. No doubt. I have class 3's and I want to see it repealed. We have to start working together and quitely beating beating the war drum. What better time to do it with next years elections and chances are their will be a Republician President, House and probably Senate.

I contacted Rep. Dent via email today and addressed my concerns with him. This is what I wrote,

Honorable Mr. Dent sir,

Greetings,

I first want to start off by saying that I helped make history last November. I am very proud and pleased to say that. This is the first time I have ever contacted my District Representive. I hope this enquiry will be a positive one.

I am a U.S. Marine Corps Infantry Veteran that served this country honorable and well for 7 1/2 years and in Operation Enduring Freedom supporting missions in Afghanistan. While others gave their lives, I gave my youth and my health in service of this great nation I so dearly love, respect and cherish. As a 70% disabled veteran I have never asked for anything in return except for understanding for what we do and why we do it. I took an oath to support and defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.
    I am here today to report a grave injustice within our gun laws in our state and country that I'm sure you’re well aware of. In 1986 U.S. Congress passed and Mr. Reagan signed into law the Firearm Owner's Protection Act (FOPA). Although this law had excellent intentions and was pro-gun rights, a provision was added at the last minute and debated ever since upon the legality and constitutionality of this provision. Bill H.R. 4332 otherwise know as the Hughes Amendment made civilian automatic weapon ownership illegal if manufactured after May 19, 1986. Not only is the method of said law debatable it is plainly and grossly unconstitutional. It goes against every moral value us as Americans stand for and are.

As an automatic firearms owner and concealed handgun permit carrier, I simple ask that you introduce or support any and all legislation that will aid in repeal of this illegal, unconstitutional and un-American gun amendment.

Since the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934 their as been 3 crimes or less committed with any legal registered machinegun in 77 years.

I am a realist and optimist. I know that this current congress and administration it is highly unlikely. However with elections a year away and a Republican President and Senate being elected, the time would be of the essence to act and act we must.

Fair winds and following seas.
    Semper Fidelis,

Keith A. Hamlett
    Sergeant USMC
    Allentown

"The 2nd Amendment is about freedom from tyranny, not hunting."

Start getting the politicians involved and get the ball moving. This might be our only chance for a long while.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for your service, but if "veteren creds" would have helped; all bans would have been lifted. Not likely.

And just so you know - PA Auditor Gen Jack Wagner was a Marine vet too... and voted for the local Pittsburgh AWB and gun bans during the 80's when he was with City Clowncil. Doubt that many FFLs are even in city limits any more.

Despite his good work as Aud Gen, we don't want Jack Wagner in the Gov's mansion.

When he wasn't throwing Iraqi gyrenes under the bus for the sake of liberal voter support, Murtha the Marine also was quite the anti-EBR type too, specifically stating that he see no reasons for civvies to own guns like that.

As did the local 20-something PA Guard butter-bar I know - he's a conservative gun owner, but quite anti-NFA as he too sees no reason for civvies to own NFA.

Not meant to dishearten, just to clarify that ex-mil, ex-Marine, ex-Air Force, daft-dodger, Republicrat, Demican, male, female, young, old, liberal, conservative, moderate, whatever - there is no given for NFA support to point to.

We're stuck with Hughes/Rodino - unless the courts can be used (and in so doing provide political cover for the elected/exalted ones) to strike down the law.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

We're stuck with Hughes/Rodino - unless the courts can be used (and in so doing provide political cover for the elected/exalted ones) to strike down the law.
    Even if that happened, the left would know about it and say, "Machine guns were just legalized by a court ruling! We need to pass a law right now banning them again!" And I bet it would pass too, even with a republican congress and president, because they are all RINO's anyway.

Not to say it isn't worth trying, but I'm not holding my breath.

(Lehigh County)

Its a sad day when you start seeing gun owners against gun owners. I'll remind them as well to look at the 2nd and point out where 'hunting' is exactly at.

Let me know if anyone finds it??

"What part of Shall Not Be Infringed don't you understand?"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kahamlett View Post
    Its a sad day when you start seeing gun owners against gun owners. I'll remind them as well to look at the 2nd and point out where 'hunting' is exactly at.

Let me know if anyone finds it??

"What part of Shall Not Be Infringed don't you understand?"
    Been happenin' absolutely forever...

Skeet and clay and duck hunters looking down their noses at EBR and NFA ownership for decades.

I was at Phil's Archery when Phil gave someone some shiit over a pocket automatic purchase - these are "killer guns" you know, why would you want one?...

If I said it once I said it a million times: Gunowners are often their own worst enemies.

(Lehigh County)

Unhappy Re: NFA-Hughes Amendment Repeal Possible?

I'm not a hunter. I'm not for it and I in no way am against it but turning the tables around I would say to any hunter, "Why would you want to blow away any feathered/furry creatures? What have they ever done to you?"

I didn't realize this happens. Call me Ig-nat but I thought were all on the same side here. Guess not...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kahamlett View Post
    <snip>

I didn't realize this happens. Call me Ig-nat but I thought were all on the same side here. Guess not...
    Yep, still happens to a degree. The old, "don't take mine, take theirs" attitude of "take their stocked Lugers, leave my shotty alone".

Its an easily understood attitude with the bombardment of misinformation and misconceptions; drives wedges between "camps"

How many of us secretly breath a sigh of releif when the news reports that some street shooting was done by a handgun, as opposed to an EBR?

- given that the media and LEO-interviewed-at-the-scene ALWAYS go out of there way to point out that EVERY SINGLE SHOOTING is done by a semi-auto assault rifle.

This happened in the young 80's, when too many episodes of Miami Vice and MACs at EVERY SHOOTING !!!! gave impetus to the 86 ban.

And in the 90s - with the AWB.

A successful strategy that worked in the 20's - which gave us the NFA of '34, and in the mid 60's - which begat the GCA of 68.

Better to take those nasty MACs than the Mini-14s. Can't hunt ducks with a MAC.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    ...Can't hunt ducks with a MAC.
    I call BS, sir. With the cyclic rate of the MAC10, it does better than a shotgun, especially against birds flying in formation.

(Lehigh County)

haha I 2nd the motion on the MAC in a flying formation. Well done good sir!

Seriously though I have to agree with you about the history of the 20th Century firearms laws. I know I'm falling on deaf ears by preaching to the choir here but even with all those laws from the 20's through the today, still hasn't done a darn thing against bad people doing bad things. Only good people doing good things.

I do have a serious question though. What can we do as honest, hardworking, more importantly TAX paying contributing members of society to get the ball rolling through politics or through the courts on trying to reversing the MG ban or another possible amnesty?

2013 will be make or break with the stars aligning with the big 3 (house, senate,pres) being republican for a loooooong time. Even then it will be reelection time soon for the house that could go right back democrat.

Thoughts anyone?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast