Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Default Re: NFA-Hughes Amendment Repeal Possible?

And I'm sure there are plenty more out there like you, Sir. But surely you can see and agree with my point that there are plenty who won't. Thats just how some people are. And to a degree, I could almost see their point, even though its not that correct one.

Hey there are supposed "pro gun" people that don't think you should carry a gun, open carry a gun, own machine guns, own "assault" weapons, etc etc.

Also, I'm not happy with the way this thing is written. It looks like some middle school kid wrote it. Someone who is more literate, better yet, a lawyer, should write that up. A lot of politicians are lawyers themselves, including President Obama. If they look at this they're going to take it about as serious as a wet fart.
    [account deactivated]

[account deactivated]

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    You need to use your head a bit more on this. Personally...I think the machine guns should be the last to be lifted for several reasons.

1. Current machine gun owners will be pissed that they dropped 20K on a gun and now its only gonna cost the price for some full auto parts from bushmaster, which is like, what? $7 for a full auto sear? plus a few other odds and ends?
    This has been said so many times, and has been disproved every time. I know several machine gun owners who have all said that they support the ban being repealed. Most people buy machine guns because they like to shoot them, not just for the investment. Repealing the ban would allow them to buy more machine guns, and some newer ones that are unavailable now because they did not exist before 1986. Most MG owners would be happy to loose some money on their "investments" if it means they can now go out and buy a full auto P90, SCAR, or Glock 18. Sure, there are some people that bought MG's purely for their investment value and be pissed if the ban was repealed, but they are the exception, not the rule. Also, all investments come with a certain degree of risk, and they should be prepared to absorb that loss if their investment goes bad.

I own a MG myself, and I would be dancing naked in the streets if the ban was repealed.

2. People have a stigma against machine guns, and may the gun god forgive me for saying this, but someone toting a car full of thugs with M249's is more dangerous than a bunch of semi auto AR 15's. I'm not saying I agree with the gun ban, I'm just saying thats how most people are going to see it.
    Keep in mind that repealing the Hughes amendment doesn't mean that you will be able to buy machine guns at any gun store. You will still need to get them from a class III dealer, fill out the ATF paperwork, jump through a bunch of hoops, and wait several months for approval. How many "thugs" do you see with silencers and SBR's? Besides, thugs already illegally convert semi-autos into machine guns, so repealing the Hughes Amendment will likely have no effect on the amount of full autos in the hands of criminals.

Also, where does the constitution say we have the same right to military weaponry?
    The second amendment says we have the right to bear arms for the purpose of a MILITIA, not for hunting or sporting purposes. Therefore, the second amendment is intended for arms that are suited for an organised militia. This was even stated by US attorneys in the Supreme Court case United States v. Miller:

The Second Amendment protects only the ownership of military-type weapons appropriate for use in an organized militia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Miller
    Last edited by bac0nfat; April 28th, 2012 at 05:50 PM.

First off, thanks for the clarification on the military weaponry. Thats pretty cool. I didn't know that.

Secondly, I agree about MG's being legal. I'm just trying to throw up reasons on how this person is going about it. I think at the very minimum this thing needs to be rewritten.

As far as the investment thing goes. I just can't see someone spending 28K on a M249, then all of the sudden its the same price as any other gun. BELIVE ME, I see what yours saying. But what I'M saying is, that can't be an easy pill to swallow and even their conscious mind might be behind it, their subconscious minds might be holding them back a little just over the sheer EXTREME loss.

I don't know man, I'm just voicing concerns, expressing feelings. Throwing pasta against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Ah fuck it....I'll sign the damn petition anyway. What could it hurt?
    Last edited by Franky4Fingers; April 29th, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
    [account deactivated]

(Bucks County)

First off, thanks for the clarification on the military weaponry. Thats pretty cool. I didn't know that.

Secondly, I agree about MG's being legal. I'm just trying to throw up reasons on how this person is going about it. I think at the very minimum this thing needs to be rewritten.

As far as the investment thing goes. I just can't see someone spending 28K on a M249, then all of the sudden its the same price as any other gun. BELIVE ME, I see what yours saying. But what I'M saying is, that can't be an easy pill to swallow and even their conscious mind might be behind it, their subconscious minds might be holding them back a little just over the sheer EXTREME loss.

I don't know man, I'm just voicing concerns, expressing feelings. Throwing pasta against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Ah fuck it....I'll sign the damn petition anyway. What could it hurt?
    I agree that it needs to be rewritten, no offense to gun lover but it sounds like a third grader wrote it. I'm not a writer so I can't contribute anything much better, but I can suggest covering the following points:

1. The fact that the Hughes Amendment was not properly added to the bill with an official counted vote.

2. The Supreme Court case US v. Miller, in which US attorneys argued that the second amendment protects only military-type weapons suitable for use in an organized militia.

3. The fact that there has only been a single crime committed with a legally owned machine gun since the National Firearms Act of 1934.

4. The fact that machine guns will still be heavily regulated and you will still have to get approval from the ATF.

5. The fact that criminals already illegally convert semi-auto's into machine guns, meaning that the Hughes Amendment only affects law-abiding citizens.

That's just a starting point, but I'm sure there are many other good points that could be argued.

(Indiana County)

tell your gun loving friends about this petition to repeal the ban. plese take the time to sign this. I wanted to let you know about a new petition I created on We the People,
    a new feature on WhiteHouse.gov, and ask for your support. Will you add your
    name to mine? If this petition gets 25,000 signatures by May 26, 2012, the
    White House will review it and respond!

We the People allows anyone to create and sign petitions asking the Obama
    Administration to take action on a range of issues. If a petition gets
    enough support, the Obama Administration will issue an official response.

You can view and sign the petition here:

http://wh.gov/Eru

Here's some more information about this petition:

allow new machine guns to be manufactured and sold to
    civilians
    Machine guns have been banned to manufacture since 1986 .This petition
    will make it legal to sell new machine guns to civilians . citizens can
    already buy a machine gun but it has to be made before 1986 ,and they very
    expensive ,often $18,000. the law that made machine gun illegal to
    manufacture was unconstitutional because the second amendment says you have
    the right to same weapons the military has .

(Lehigh County)

1. Two crimes have been commited since 1934 with legal machine guns, not one. The first was by a police office that killed a drug informant and the second was a husband that caught his wife in bed with another man. Both were in Ohio and both were with Mac 10 or 11's can't remember.

2. I have $40,000 wrapped up in NFA items. I too agree the Hughes Admendment needs to go away. First - it was illegally passed. No if and or buts about it. Discussion over. Sencondly its unconstitutional. WE THE PEOPLE make up the militias. The militias don't make up the people. The Right the Keep and Bear Arms is an INDIVIDUAL RIGHT not a militia right. I have no idea why on a website like this, this is even an issue. Everyone knows this.

3. History will repeat itself if We The People don't wake up on firearm rights in this country. If one looks at the rest of the world firearms restriction/gun control was not passed all at once. It was passed piece by piece. First MG's, then semi's then rifles then pistols. Then one day people will wake up and not have any wondering how it all happened?? Fighting the liberals on this topic is all or nothing. WE CAN NOT AFFORD TO GIVE 1 INCH of GROUND!! Not now not ever. Gun Control isn't for the criminals, its for the law abidding citizens.

(Allegheny County)

The Miami drug wars were going on at the time and I am sure beyond a doubt that too many episodes of Miami Vice lead to the knee jerk panic of the law.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Lehigh County)

Got that right...Miami Vice, The A-Team series, Hollywood the list goes on.

(Montgomery County)

I'm glad you're trying to do something.

However, I suspect that an online petition will work as well as this.

or this

Last edited by whoshisface; May 1st, 2012 at 09:19 AM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast